Sexist/Racist Abortions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by classicaliberal, Jun 6, 2012.

1. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Abortion is never an easy topic of discussion, and the lines are usually drawn pretty clearly in the sand on both sides of the aisle. One exception on the right seems to be rape, and one exception I've been seeing on the left are sexist/racist abortions. This is when a fetus is aborted after a prenatal scan clarifying the gender or race of the baby. Basically, in these situations, parents-to-be are aborting 'only if it's a girl' or 'only if it's black', etc.

The Republicans recently proposed a bill that would outlaw the practice, which was voted down largely on partisan lines in congress: http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...of-female-fetuses-abortion-bill-ban-abortions

"Live Action" is a group who has been trying to bring attention to this issue with a series of Planned Parenthood hidden camera videos: http://protectourgirls.com/category/video/

Anyway, just curious about where the community falls on this difficult issue.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do not agree with a person aborting their child because it is not the sex/race that they intended it to be. If you want a baby of a certain race then sleep with a dude who is of that race assuming you are of the same race. That is simple to me. If I want a mixed-race baby and I refuse to birth anything else then I best find me a black man to get me pregnant. I think it is absurd that people abort if the baby is not the same race/sex that they had hoped for.

On the other hand, I have very mixed feelings about pregnancies from rape. I've always believed that the child would be a constant reminder of what happened but then on the other hand it is a child and should not be punished for the sins of it's father. The sad part though is that it's father is a rapist and therefore, I think I've always considered it to be acceptable to abort a child if it was conceived because of the rape. It is indeed a very fuzzy line for me. Sex/race, however, is not. I am very clear on my opinion of that.

I don't like that congress gets involved at all. I don't know an alternative, but having the government decide what I can and cannot do with my body is not an appealing thought in my mind.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Congratulations to the Republicans for rushing to find a solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist. (See also "voter fraud" and the canard that foreign aid and public broadcasting are the reasons for deficits.)

Women get abortions for a variety of reasons, most of them intensely personal. But trust me, racism is not high on anybody's list.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

^^^
    This.

Plus how is the doctor performing an abortion supposed to know the intentions of the woman? All the doctor knows is that the patient is here to get an abortion ... not the motivations behind the choice.

Though a little waterboarding just might get her to tell the truth.

:rolleyes:

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Stick a probe in her vagina until she is no longer hysterical.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

I generally lean left or in the middle on most things, but don't support abortions outside of rape or incest. I also don't really feel like barring minimum standards and practices that there should be much governmental interference on the matter - it's too much of a circular/go nowhere debate.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Then don't have one. It's that simple.

The question is not what your views are on abortion, but whether you or I can impose our views on others. That is the question. This isn't pro-life vs. anti-life, this is pro-choice vs. anti-choice.

8. Huntn, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The GOP philosophy is to stop all abortions. This is just another step in that direction regardless if this particular issue exists in this country or not.

Does your support include laws? I describe myself as pro-choice but anti-abortion, in other words I don't want to see people using abortion as birth control.

I have not been in a situation where I needed to consider abortion. I am satisfied with existing rules about when abortions should no longer be allowed. If fetuses are not viable outside the womb, they have not yet graduated to human status.

I don't want the government injecting itself into the issue any more than it has. If the GOP can insist that you have your baby, they should also insist that if required by circumstances, the State should be ready to step up to the plate and become the Nanny State except they have made it clear they have no interest in this regard.

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Pro-lifers aren't trying to impose views on others. We are trying to stop the killing of innocent life. That's why there is such a divide because pro-choice don't see an unborn baby as a baby.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, pro-choice people don't agree with you, so you try to pass laws to force them to do what you want, and you say that you aren't trying to impose your views on anyone?

This

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You are confused. Murder is illegal, and since an unborn human being is still a human being, we believe it's murder.

That being said, I don't try to bomb abortion clinics either. I am not crazy and it's legal to abort and I am not an activist.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You believe that it is murder, but it is not under the law, so you are again trying to impose your views on other people. Just admit it.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You agree with everything in the law?

I believe an unborn child is a human (who has committed no crime) yes.

Do I push for a law change? No I don't push the issue.

If a law passes that changes to my view will I be happy? Sure, but I am not counting on it.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

When I say "you" I mean you no-choicers who are trying to impose your interpretations and views on the rest of us who just want to have the choice be ours, not yours.

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Oh got it, I can't speak for other pro-lifer's.

Just so you know, when I say pro-choicers, I mean pro-killing an unborn child because I fail to plan ahead, or I have no common sense that putting a penis in my vagina could get me pregnant but I am not worried until I miss my period person.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, well, when I say pro-choice I mean any woman who might get pregnant and who should have the right to decide what to do with her body.

17. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Bul.l.shi.t. Plain and simple.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I see it as a baby.

I see it as a baby that we permit ourselves to kill.

And I'm totally okay with that.

19. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

This is one of the worst arguments I've ever seen for abortion. People are debating the definition of human life, not just some random personal choice.

Your argument works perfectly well for smoking marijuana, or eating onions, or lots of other things. Try applying it to slavery. If you don't like slavery, don't own slaves! It doesn't work. In that case, there was a fundamental divide on the question "can human beings be regarded as property?". Questions like that have to be answered in the political process - yes or no. Slavery is either an intolerable evil or it isn't. A fetus is either a human being worthy of protection or it isn't.

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think a woman should be able to do anything she wants with her body. It's the other human inside her that I question, he/she doesn't get a say.

----------

When is it ok in your point of view to no longer be allowed to kill that baby? How about a 90-day return policy after birth?

----------

He's a lawyer.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm fine with the current three trimester cutoff ... with some exceptions.

22. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I find such pro-choice stances refreshing. They are straightforward and honest and agree on the basic realities - i.e., there's two human beings involved, not just "my body, my choice" or other such nonsense.

Peter Singer did at one point advocate a 30 day "return policy". A recent pro-infanticide paper in a bioethics journal argued that killing an infant is morally the same as killing a fetus.

In these cases we at least have clear-thinking opponents and we can confidently put it up for a vote and see which side wins.

23. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Fair enough, I have no problem with your point of view. Most people don't see it as a baby or are being convinced it's not. If you see it as a human being (with options), then I can't argue with that.

I see a murderer or some violent criminals in a similar way. They are humans with options. Life in prison or as I prefer, the death penalty.

24. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I agree 100%. However, my best friend was born as a result of rape and his mother kept him. He now has a kid of his own and he's doing great. Children don't choose how they're brought into this world and although I sympathize completely with victims of rape, abortion in all forms still sounds horrifying to me.

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I agree, he sees it for what it is and made a choice. I can't fight that.

I do believe people are being desensitized into believing a fetus is not human. That's where I have an issue, then they twist it into the rights of the woman, when in fact it's a political ploy.