Sexual Abuse Discussion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Aug 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Huntn, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Looked for good existing thread to attach this to, but did not find one. While I don't approve of the teacher's judgement, floating around in my mind is a Van Halen song, and a 17 year old male having sex with his teacher combined with a $6M bonus, win-win! :p <- Yes, bad, but I can remember when I was a male teen. Damaged does not seem to be a word that comes to mind, other than for supporting a standard. :oops:

Seriously, $6M? I consider that an excessive windfall.

NEWS
    Redlands Unified will pay $6 million to teen who had sex with teacher

Quote:
    The Redlands Unified School District will pay a former high school student $6 million to settle a lawsuit brought against it after former teacher Laura Whitehurst was convicted of having sex with him and other students.
    “All of this is put to rest now and, in fact, we hope that this tragic and unfortunate episode will now be behind us as a school district,” district spokesman Tom DeLapp said at a press conference Friday morning at RUSD headquarters.

Update: My comments are addressing this specific case. No intention of making light of sexual abuse in general. It can be traumatizing, and real damage can be done, especially violence and rape..

2. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Teacher screws around with many students and only one student gets money?

Shouldn't they all get a piece of the pie, no pun intended since that already happened (that pun was not unintended)?

I was not just sexually molested by a gym teacher, I was also sexually harassed and assaulted in a church, so where's my money?

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I amended my first post to clarify, I'm not making light of sexual abuse in general. For this teen, it was consensual, and I don't buy the damage argument, although after the scrutiny, he may feel damaged, for anything other than maintaining a blanket standard as in unacceptable.

I think it's far more common than anyone cares to admit. I have close relatives who were molested by adults as children and it's no laughing matter. Real damage is done that if not tucked away can weigh on individuals for a life time.