Sexual violence in the US army

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eraserhead, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was reading about this on the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8511010.stm

It seems like a big problem and one that is reducing morale, and one that needs to be solved as it is unjust.

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

To be fair I don't think it's just the U.S. military that has this problem.

3. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure it isn't, I was going to post that in my OP, but I didn't have any evidence.

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

My sister is in the service. Frankly, I worry more about this than I do about IEDs.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

This sort of horror was anticipated by those who objected to changes in women's roles in the military. Given the apparent rarity, the military administrative types seem to have done a pretty good job in keeping it to some sort of minimum.

Late-teen/early 20s guys with lots of testosterone and machismo and way away from home? There will always be some clown who doesn't get the message.

6. splitpea macrumors 6502a

What's the prevalence of this sort of violence in, say, the Israeli military? Maybe we just don't hear about it, but it seems to me that it's much less of a problem there. Perhaps there's a difference in the type of respect the men have for their female comrades?

7. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably the former.

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Probably, to an extent, but you also have to consider the different circumstances. For one, compulsory service should (I speculate) result in a somewhat different attitude about service in general. Second, such incidents will always be more prevalent in a foreign theater than domestically, possibly due to a "what happens in Vegas" sort of mindset, and the IDF doesn't occupy territory they don't at least believe to be their own. Finally, maintaining discipline is largely a problem of scale. All else being equal, a larger organization will always have more trouble maintaining discipline than a smaller one.

I don't doubt it happens, and I don't doubt they don't advertise it when it does, but I would also not be surprised if it actually was less of a problem.

9. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

The "What Happens in Vegas" mentality is really a huge problem for the military. During my time in the service, I routinely saw people act completely against their previously stated morals and ethics the minute they left the local area. Whether they were cheating on their wife, binge drinking, using drugs, prostituting themselves, or simply acting like a complete jerk, it always happened as soon as they were away from home. I never heard of any specific cases of sexual assualt in the units I was a member of, but I have no doubt that it could have happened.

The military has its share of bad people and those bad tendancies are escalated when people are placed into an isolated location with very few women.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This is a new low for you rat.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"This is a new low for you rat."

Huh? How so? Nowhere did I imply anything against anybody. Pure straight fact.

Back before women came to combat roles, we had the WACs in the Army. They basically did clerical jobs in rear areas. Far fewer overseas than on-base in the States. I don't recall ever seeing any in Korea; we had relatively few in the US European Command HQ in Paris. A far more protected environment, overall.

You get a mixed group in a forward base and in a remote area, some guys will turn loose their inner idiot. Nothing at all new about that. But, SFAIK, it seems to be a pretty-much rare event. Damfino.

Inner Idiot: One of the guys in the outfit in Korea was an Italian kid from Brooklyn. He told of some relatives in Italy, who during WW II had their house rented--for money--by some Nazi officers. The officers even helped out with food for the family. So the US Army shows up, runs off the Nazis. Okay, good. Trouble was, some GIs raped a couple of his cousins...

So tie that to what imac/cheese wrote.

Off this specific subject, but my son was a USAF staff sergeant, with some forty people in his section. Black-box stuff for F-15s/F-16s. They were at the Khalid AFB in Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Two of the women in his unit deliberately got pregnant in order to go back Stateside and away from a combat zone.

People do weird stuff. That's just the way people are. Most folks are good; a few are not.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So rapists are now "clowns", are they? Sounds harmless enough. Damfino.

13. No1451 macrumors 6502

You all seem to be misinterpreting his posts, doesn't look like he's downplaying rape just a poor choice of words.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If someone chooses their words so carelessly, they are likely to be misinterpreted.

15. ethical macrumors 68000

Another extract from the same article:

Shocking numbers!

What sort of methods can be used to tackle this though? Other than 'educating' the male soldiers I don't really understand what can be done. You don't have CCTV cameras in combat zones to deter attackers, like you do in civvy street.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Clown" is a polite word, in lieu of what I'd much rather say--but why try to defeat the language filter? Would y'all be happier if I commented that when such a (bleep) gets home, I hope his mother crawls from beneath the porch and bites him?

I have a deliberately and wilfully simple view of rapists: The act denigrates the very soul of the victim--and thus should be a death-penalty offense.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Clown" is an indulgent term, on a par with "boys will be boys". There are plenty of clearer alternatives to choose from. I appreciate the elucidation.

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

:) "Clown" is a rather strong pejorative term in the groups among which I associate. Granted, tone of voice enters into it, as well. It's a substitute for a couple of double-words, both ending in "-er".

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You clearly attend a different kind of circus from the ones I'm used to.... :p

20. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

That's just a sad and disgusting story. You would like to think that the military is the last place someone could get away with somthing like this, but it seems the odds are not in the favor of the victim. The military needs to recognize that this is bad for everyone involved and do more to end this reprehensible type of behavior in soldiers.

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mscriv, rest assured that a courtmartial board will likely be harsher than a civilian court. And Leavenworth won't have near the recreational facilities.

But there's never gonna be an end to the problem. You can sorta control people, but you will never have anything like perfection. It's as much an age-group and biology thing as it is a structural discipline affair.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What makes an already disgusting crime even worse is when the "boys" attempt to cover it up. Oh, and when those "boys" aren't subject to any particular set of laws too.

And then, as a capper, you have 30 members of the GOP in the Senate who voted to protect the "boys"..

To paraphrase 'Rat, if you're against these kinds of policies, then you favor rape.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is it really true that young men are more prone to rape women than older men? Or is it the fact that enlisted men overwhelmingly tend to be young that skews perception of the issue?