Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
SGP Oleophobic or SGP Ultra Crystal?

I plan on really touching the screen, especially with with the photography edit apps and other touchable apps like N.O.V.A. Is there a difference between these shields, and which one is best that more than likely will not get any scratches?

I had the zagg for my previous iphone, and I didnt get one scratch with it on (but I didnt drop it either).

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Hi, I actually posted a response in another this thread (sorry about kinda hi-jacking it, I liked the thread so much, because I was about to ask the same question), but here is my response:

So the Oleo is more anti-finger print, and the crystal is more scratch resistant? Is Oleo better than the crystal, and why do people still buy the crystal?

JokerD

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Get the oleo.
It's very very clear, and you won't have as many fingerprints. You'll really like it. You can read reviews from many many people on here, and most say the oleo is better.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Wow, thanks for the great advice.

I just have one last question about this:

Is the Oleo very scratch resistant like the zagg? Like I mean in terms if you are really playing with the screen with your fingernails or thumbs, can my nails penetrate the shield and scratch it over time, or make the shield weaker?

That's what I wondering about what's the main difference besides clarity with the crystal and oleo? Is so tempting, and I really need to buy one today.

I want to say thank you a million for the help as well.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I have the Oleo and find it impossible to clean, shows a lot of fingerprints. Quality is excellent, but be prepared to clean it, often.

JokerD

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Wow, thanks for the great advice.

I just have one last question about this:

Is the Oleo very scratch resistant like the zagg? Like I mean in terms if you are really playing with the screen with your fingernails or thumbs, can my nails penetrate the shield and scratch it over time, or make the shield weaker?

That's what I wondering about what's the main difference besides clarity with the crystal and oleo? Is so tempting, and I really need to buy one today.

I want to say thank you a million for the help as well.

Ralph, it's $15, you're not buying a car.
Buy one, try it out, if you don't like it, get something else. No need for 500 questions in 3 threads.

As I said before, the oleo is much more clear than the zagg, but much less scratch resistant. If you want protection, get zagg/wrapsol/bodyguardz/bse etc. If you want clarity, get the oleo or crystal, but if you need to buy one, just buy one and see how you like it.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
haha yea. It was so confusing because there's a lot of mixed threads, some like the crystal, some like the oleo, all I want to know is which shield out the two is more scratch resistant like the zagg? BTW do you know of any other dry install front shields that cover the front camera like sgp.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
SGP Oleophobic or SGP Ultra Crystal?

I plan on really touching the screen, especially with with the photography edit apps and other touchable apps like N.O.V.A. Is there a difference between these shields, and which one is best that more than likely will not get any scratches?

I had the zagg for my previous iphone, and I didnt get one scratch with it on (but I didnt drop it either).

You plan on really touching the screen? Who doesn't? And touching does not scratch the screen. You guys are wasting money on these screen protectors, unless you put your keys and phone together in your pocket you don't need one.

ToyStory

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Daytona Beach, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A306)

I got the Ultra one because everyone was saying how the other one causes fingerprints to be more noticeable.

Which ever one you decide, buy it off Amazon. They have free shipping offers as well :)

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Thank you for the replies my friends.

Yes, I'm tired of the torment lol, I just want to buy a shield with the front camera not cutout, and enjoy the phone! lol.

I just was so confused, Oleo or Crystal? LOL,

I think I might as well go with the Crystal as the hardness is 4H, and the Oleo is 3H

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.