Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
This stuff just gets more and more confusing.

I wish I had the money, I'd open up a gadget custom shop sort of like they have for cars. "Pimp my nerd" :D

Bring your iPhone in and select from our 200 slightly different protective films, then select a case and have it professionally installed. Maybe parter with colorware to have an onsite production behind a big glass wall (think Krispy Kreme conveyer belt)

Zildjian242

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
I have one of these coming for review and I'm really psyched to see it.

It's anti-fingerprint which doesn't degrade the retina display at all.

We'll see.

Excellent. Il be patiently waiting then. This could be "the screen shield"

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I wonder how similar this is to their Ultra Oleophobic. That was great for like a week or two and then it started picking up smudges like nobody's business. I'll wait for some reviews before I jump on this one.

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
I wonder how similar this is to their Ultra Oleophobic. That was great for like a week or two and then it started picking up smudges like nobody's business. I'll wait for some reviews before I jump on this one.

Exactly. I have the Oleo and it was great in the beginning since it didn't pick up fingerprints. I still have it on now but it's just like any other crystal shield.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009

Same here. I have the Oleo on for about a week now and everything is still ok. The anti-fingerprint seems appealing but only if the clarity is improved over the last gen shields (which SGP says they are), and the feel is acceptable. I have never been into the "gritty" feel types of protectors.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I just received and installed this screen protector today, and i must say this has to be the best screen protector so far.
I've had the SGP ultra fine, oleophobic and the power support ones but this one outshines all of them. It also sounds like vinyl when you go across the screen.
Its nice and clear with no fingerprints so far, I'll see how it goes for a couple of days.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Oh yeah heres some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 403

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
i see that no have bubbles i am thinking to buy one lets see right now i have the matte

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
Looks good, I have a set on order so I can't wait to install it. I also like the fact that it has a separate cutout for the front-facing camera

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Got mine today as well and did a quick install. This is an awesome product for those that hate fingerprints. It is certainly not as crystal clear as an Oleo or PS Crystal but its close.

A couple of things I noticed right off the bat as I replaced a PS AG HD.
-The cutouts are much more precise.
-The earpiece and home button are almost exactly the same size as the glass.
-The camera cutout is the same as the PS.
-The feels is different than any screen protector I have ever tried. It is still very smooth like the PS AG but maybe a touch less sensitivity.
-Its a tie between the two as far as fingerprints go. No issues unless you touch your phone after eating greasy fries or something.

For an overall rating of clarity, I compared my phone to my wife's phone with the PS AG HD and a friends naked phone. I would rate it like this:

PS AG HD is a 50 for clarity.
Naked is a 100 for clarity.
Optics is a 85 for clarity.

It is a good bit better than the PS HD AG. PS better step up with a competing product quickly or this will kill them. Even so, if you are a person that has to have the naked look, this will not satisfy you. Its good but not that good as compared to naked glass.

After all that, I do not think I will ever use another protector though. I have used many of the shield products and this is better than all of those because of the orange peel in most. I would say the OP and the diminished clarity of the Optics offset each other. Then the Optics wins because of the anti-fingerprint and smooth feel. I learned to live with the PS because I just hated the fingerprints. Putting this Optics on is like having a naked screen again to me.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Got mine today as well and did a quick install. This is an awesome product for those that hate fingerprints. It is certainly not as crystal clear as an Oleo or PS Crystal but its close.

A couple of things I noticed right off the bat as I replaced a PS AG HD.
-The cutouts are much more precise.
-The earpiece and home button are almost exactly the same size as the glass.
-The camera cutout is the same as the PS.
-The feels is different than any screen protector I have ever tried. It is still very smooth like the PS AG but maybe a touch less sensitivity.
-Its a tie between the two as far as fingerprints go. No issues unless you touch your phone after eating greasy fries or something.

For an overall rating of clarity, I compared my phone to my wife's phone with the PS AG HD and a friends naked phone. I would rate it like this:

PS AG HD is a 50 for clarity.
Naked is a 100 for clarity.
Optics is a 85 for clarity.

It is a good bit better than the PS HD AG. PS better step up with a competing product quickly or this will kill them. Even so, if you are a person that has to have the naked look, this will not satisfy you. Its good but not that good as compared to naked glass.

After all that, I do not think I will ever use another protector though. I have used many of the shield products and this is better than all of those because of the orange peel in most. I would say the OP and the diminished clarity of the Optics offset each other. Then the Optics wins because of the anti-fingerprint and smooth feel. I learned to live with the PS because I just hated the fingerprints. Putting this Optics on is like having a naked screen again to me.

Very helpful, thanks! I have an oleo film and I love it but the coating does run out after a week or so or else it would be PERFECT, thinking about picking ip an optics one now.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Very positive review but I'd sure like to see a follow-up review in a couple of weeks or so to see if this thing starts to pick up fingerprints. I loved my Ultra Oleophobic at first too but I had to take it off after 2 weeks or so.

This isn't going to lose its effectiveness over time. It has a rough pebbled type finish very similar to the PS HD. I had it on for months and it never lost the antifingerprint because its not a coating.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
This isn't going to lose its effectiveness over time. It has a rough pebbled type finish very similar to the PS HD. I had it on for months and it never lost the antifingerprint because its not a coating.

Thx - that's good to know. Were you a beta tester or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.