Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to various rumors, Apple is planning on introducing Shake 3.5 (current version is 3.0) at the National Association of Broadcasters.

Documentation for the new version of Shake can already be found on Apple's site. This information was posted on March 15th, 2004.

Although new features are not detailed, the documentation does outline What's Fixed and Known Issues in Shake 3.5.

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Would Apple really put out that invitation to upgrade Shake from 3.0 to 3.5? There's got to be more to this . . . . (at least I would hope so)

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Want SPEED & POWER: Render Farm / Cluster using Xserves with Shake?

Macrumors said:
According to various rumors, Apple is planning on introducing Shake 3.5 (current version is 3.0) at the National Association of Broadcasters.

Downdivx said:
My humble preditiction:
1. Shake (to include a X-grid like distributed render farm but not requiring dedicated computers)
2. FCP (4.5?)
3. Maybe PM G5s
However, not necessarily one week from today - just sometime during NAB.
Apple isn't presenting, so they could open their booth any day with new releases.

iSights are definately NOT broadcast equipment, so I wouldn't hope for new ones at NAB (certainly possible during NAB, but not AT NAB)
W
Want SPEED & POWER: Render Farm / Cluster using Xserves with Shake?

Shake 3.5
Xserve dual G5 2.xGHz
Render Farm / Cluster
Xserve RAID
FCP 4.5
Pixar

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
This might not be what we were hopeing for, but at least the rumor is right...

This sounds right. All these other predictions, (New Powerbooks, New Powermacs, New anything hardware) don't make a lot of snese givein this is a media event.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Well, it happened last year too.

Attachments

• New Tools55.jpg
    New Tools55.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 168

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Don't be suprized if they drop the price with in the year and have an express version of Shake out soon. I met some people from Apple (from Marketing,Training, and Hardware) and they said that Apple was looking into dropping the price of Shake and of creating a "Express" version for students.

Shake is fantastic. I love it. On the purely speculative side, a trainer that I met said that he wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn’t "dumb" down the engine and create a version that edits only stills. I prefer nodes and noodles to working the traditional "layered" style that Adobe uses.
Then again, if I paid 5k for Shake, I'd use it to edit and batch stills also. Apple trains Shake users with a 2button&scroll mouse. So there might also be a change in Apple's one button mouse ideolgy.

As another side note, this fits Apple’s pattern of creating or purchasing applications to fill most user application needs. In a lot of ways, Apple is looking like Next, which doesn’t bode well for those of us that love Apple’s hardware and software control. I’d hate to see Apple go into primarily designing applications and move away from designing hardware, as Next did.

Post Script: For those of you that have not used Shake, find a way to use it. It is incredibly powerful and a whole lot of fun.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
IRIX

Apple's G5's can run Apples OS as well as LINIX (As seen in some limited license that they have granted for use on with the X-Serves.

Shake has a UNIX and LINIX lineage.

The Shake licence as sold by Apple is floating. The Shake licence sold for other opperating systems are locked/"firm" and are a lot more expensive.

MacRand- there isn't anything stopping anybody from Clustering X-serves for use as a render farm. I thought that all the hardware and software is here.

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
I think Apple removed that link to Shake 3.5 on their site. I can't get it to load anymore. Oops -- it's no g5 specs leak, but it looks like someone screwed up again.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Does that answer the question as to whether Apple reads the rumor boards??????? :-D :p :p :p

JohnGillilan said:
I think Apple removed that link to Shake 3.5 on their site. I can't get it to load anymore. Oops -- it's no g5 specs leak, but it looks like someone screwed up again.

PDubNYC

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
NYC
google search

jared_kipe said:
More importantly, what the hell is that Irix thing? I've never heard of it.

What ever happened to people trying to do at least a basic search to learn about something before asking for help in a forum? A google search for Irix comes up with SGI for the first link, doesn't get much easier than that.

Between these type of things, and the schmucks asking about G5 PBs in every single topic, related or not, and these forums can often be really irritating to read, and not a good source of info about posted topics as they are meant to be.

Just had to get that off my chest. And to make this post relevent, my comment about the NAB is that the invitations are to broadcasters, not the public, so don't be surprised if the only thing introduced is a Shake upgrade, and possibly something similar, like a FCP update or possibly some kind of controller for them. But what do I know? just guessing. I REALLY hope that Apple doesn't wait until WWDC to release new HW.

ps- don't mean to come down on any one person in particular, just happened to the latest example of this.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Apple's got huge bandwidth.. They wouldn't get Slashdotted for such a small thing like this.. it looks pulled, which should make arn feel pretty darn proud :)

encro said:
not really, it just shows that that page is being hit frequently by macrumors.com readers :)

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Eniregnat said:
Post Script: For those of you that have not used Shake, find a way to use it. It is incredibly powerful and a whole lot of fun.

Isn't it also incredibly expensive? Isn't Shake for a real niche market?
What's the chance that I'd "find a way to use it"? Wasn't Shake used for scenes in Lord of the Rings? Unless it's at an Apple store, I doubt most people will..... have the opportunity to use it.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I use shake frequently for keying, and post production mastering, it works WAY better than FCP. I also use it to composite my maya renders into video plates. I am going to NAB and I hope that they annouce a new version of shake. Shake 3, while stable and runs pretty well on my dualie 2gig, could be optimized specifically for for the G5, like FCP and DVDSP. I really hope that they announce new HD cinema displays to go with my G5. I really want to get the 23", but I think I will wait for a newer 23" or 30" with faster response rate and maybe larger resolution. As for new towers, those are always good, but I don't think that I would upgrade just yet, I would probably buy a g5 cluster node before upgrading my tower.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Eniregnat said:
Don't be suprized if they drop the price with in the year and have an express version of Shake out soon. I met some people from Apple (from Marketing,Training, and Hardware) and they said that Apple was looking into dropping the price of Shake and of creating a "Express" version for students.

Shake is fantastic. I love it. On the purely speculative side, a trainer that I met said that he wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn’t "dumb" down the engine and create a version that edits only stills. I prefer nodes and noodles to working the traditional "layered" style that Adobe uses.
Then again, if I paid 5k for Shake, I'd use it to edit and batch stills also. Apple trains Shake users with a 2button&scroll mouse. So there might also be a change in Apple's one button mouse ideolgy.

As another side note, this fits Apple’s pattern of creating or purchasing applications to fill most user application needs. In a lot of ways, Apple is looking like Next, which doesn’t bode well for those of us that love Apple’s hardware and software control. I’d hate to see Apple go into primarily designing applications and move away from designing hardware, as Next did.

Do you use AE (after effects) at all? or does Shake do it all? I hope that there is an express version in the works because and if I understand what the application does, I would say goodbye to AE.

Thanks.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
In response to Sonofhaig and to add to Laslo Panaflex.

As most everybody noted it is expensive, but for what it does it's darn cheep. I'm not an expert with Shake nor do I plan to become a Shake monkey for a production house, but it is a phenomenal tool. If you ever need to do any post production correction, effects, or composting- it’s the app to do it in, at least for me. It's way better than FCP for keying and doing effects, but most people only do it for specific shots or sequences, not entire films (though batch correction and color grading is possible.).

My only point on my Post Scrip was to help spread the word as to what Shake is and what it can do. If there is a market then they just might drop it. It costs 5k today, but a decade from now, a 2d compositor of its caliber will likely run under 1k, if not under 500.

As far as finding a copy to mess around with. Try film festivals, film production organizations, Apple stores, or your local public access TV studio. The latter will likely make you take a class, but it will gain you access to their tools. I can't afford it, but if I could I would. It is a resource hog. Generating a short flip book (a preview) can take a long time on a bottom of the line g4.

Oh, and Panaflex- like the name.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
zim said:
Do you use AE (after effects) at all? or does Shake do it all? I hope that there is an express version in the works because and if I understand what the application does, I would say goodbye to AE.

Thanks.

I can't help you there. These were people that I met and worked with for a shot time. They were not about to violate any NDA's, as working for Apple is a difficult but fun gig. I would guess that a static image version, ala Photo Shop would have the whole set of effects. I would bet that they would offer the 2key in the Expression version, and I bet that they would get rid of all but the most basic effects. For instance, I doubt that it would have automatic movement based key framing/tracking(effects can track a persons eyes!). I would guess that they would offer something better than 8 points on a garbage matte. The Express version would also be resolution dependent, or at the very least have a maximum resolution that it will deal with, just as FCE will not export to the same maximum resolution that FCP will. I doubt it will become an iLife suite combination, as most people do not do 3d compositing.

Some of what I said was just supposition. They were open about an Express version and about the fact that Apple was looking into different licensing /pricing schemes.

One last thing. A full 30 day trial (complete/no watermarks or diminished function) version of Shake comes with the Apple Citified Training program manual. Call the company, and they will extend the license up to 30 days more in most cases. That’s the cheapest way to use it, that comes out to about a dollar a day .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.