shall i fit a 7200rpm hard drive into my black macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bob2131, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi, i bought high spec black macbook refurbished which came with a 5400rpm drive inside it.

Im using logic pro, and its been running fine with small projects, but when i have a medium sized project using several vst instruments and exs24s using many audio samples, all of which are running off the internal.... i get error messages, system overload messages...and i am unable to bounce to audio file (in logic pro)

im thinking its the slow hard drive which is causing the main problems.
    I have 2gb ram. It also takes sometimes over 5 mins to open this logic file.

Or is this poor performance par for the course, if using just one internal drive, for both system files and audio storage....... ?

Are there possible probs which may arise from taking out the 5400 drive and fitting a faster 7200 drive in to my macbook? I hear it will heat up more....so could this mess with other macbook componets?? the excess heat...... or are macbooks bulit to handle 7200rpm drives too??? dont remember is 7200 was an optional upgrade with my model or not......

2.4ghz intelcore2duo.

Anybody fitted a 7200 drive into their macbooks???? all running ok??

Would i simply put the new hard drive in..... and then boot up from boot dvds and my time machine backup....to have a full up to date system, all apps and file intact as they are now???? Im worried it will get messy and problems...... my current drive is packed to rafters with apps and files and work i have done......i dont want to lose a thing.....would it be a simple easy fool proof transition to faster hard drive????

And could i still use the current hard drive? With an enclosure??
    Ive heard people have ripped out the opticla dvd drive and fitted ANOTHER hard drive into their macbooks, so the laptop housing two hard drives..... that sounds good...but crazy..... maybe later ill do that....as i hardly use the cd/dvd drive...... and you can always hook it up with wire if need be......

any tips or advice....would be most kind and helpful.

thankyou.( sorry for double post, i posted this in audio section to)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Just wanted to say that any heat generated by hard disks is negligble in most cases. The only places where hard drive heat is an actual factor is with those extremely high i/o 10k/15k enterprise grade 2.5" drives which need an accompanying heatsink.

3. CLuv macrumors 6502

4. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

man that thread is making head spin....sounds like trouble...noisy drives... sensor conflicts.....sigh..... maybe just selling my macbook and buying a macbook pro .... no ...what am i thinking....sigh.... PRO is stupidly expensive.... my macbook is super silent and does not get hot...and the fan hardly ever comes on...and i use it ALL the time.....

5. CLuv macrumors 6502

It's actually fairly simple. My Black MacBook is just as quiet as it was, no vibration, no change in thermals, boots faster, apps load quicker, and shut downs quick. This is primary computer that I use all of the time, and the fan doesn't come on any more than it did before the swap.

Took all of 3 minutes to take out the old drive and put in the new drive. You'll need a Torx screwdriver, size 6 I think. Best purchase I've made for my MacBook.

I restored from my Time Machine, took about an hour, and everything was fine. I even had a Windows partition that was easy to put back in place.

Some people have reported vibrations, but overall I think most are experiencing no issues from what I'm seeing on the forum and other forums.

Just purchase the model without the "G" in the model name if it's the Seagate mentioned in the post. No need to buy a G-shock version when your MacBook has a shock sensor built in.

I saw a huge return in the swap from my stock 120GB drive. Start up is now 8 revolutions at the  grey screen, instead of 38 to 39 revolutions. Apps load almost instant, and shut down is almost instant now.

Some people have done clean installs, others have used Time Machine, and some have used a cloning program to clone their drive.

You will have to format the drive within Disc Utility off of the Leopard install disc. There is a lot of info on how to do it, and I just posted that on the thread on page 12 about formatting the drive properly.

If you've ever built a computer or done hardware swaps, you'll be amazed with how quickly this swap can be done on the MacBook.

6. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks....which hard drive did you put in? can i have the exact name and spec...i might just buy exactly the same as yours.... seeing as you have had no issues with it.....

so time machine put EVERYthing back nicely??? did not need to install apps or dig and find and restore files and data manually?

So youre windows partition was a bootcamp partitiion?

So cloning is same as time machine? one is not better than the other?

Can i find out what brand and make and exact spec my internal hard drive is which came built into it from apple? theyre not apple tweaked drives are they? theyre just normal drives purchased from manufactures right?

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Cloned my HDD using Super Duper to a new 7200 RPM Hitachi 320 GB, went like a charm, took 43 minutes, using the original in a OWC enclosure as a TM back up, boots/runs/ shutdowns are all faster. Should have done this long ago.
    Speed up is noticeable, even with bumping the RAM to 6GB BEFORE the clone:eek: I have no regret, and neither will you, awesome rocket now.
    I HIGHLY recommend Super Duper

8. tophertec macrumors newbie

320GB Hitachi 2.5" SATA 16MB 7200RPM

I put a 7200RPM Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 in my Black Macbook about 6 months ago. My macbook does run faster, and I have not noticed any increase in heat, fan speed, or vibrations. Swapping the drive out is fairly simple, and you can download the directions off of the Apple Support site, or find a how to video on many of the DYI sites. I bought the drive from Other World Computing, and they have a nice selection of 7200RPM drives for the MacBook.

Good luck!
    Chris

9. CLuv macrumors 6502

I bought the Seagate referenced in the thread I supplied. Here it is from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

Restoration from Time Machine was flawless. No need to run Software Update, all apps and data was in place. I did run a Repair Permissions from Disc Utility (out of habit). It's a drop down selection across the top while you're in the Leopard install disc. ~89GB of data took about an hour.

My Windows XP partition is a BootCamp partition. I cloned my Windows partition with WinClone. Once in Leopard I ran the BootCamp Assistant to create a new partition, once it got to the point of asking if I wanted to start the installation I closed out BootCamp Assistant after the size of the partition was created. Then ran WinClone to restore my BootCamp partition. Took about an hour. I had a 20GB partition originally, and created a 50GB partition on the new drive. No issues with the change in partition increase, WinClone took care of it on the fly. Nice thing is the app runs in OS X to create the image and do the restoration.

http://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/

Some people prefer cloning since it can be done as a block by block clone, but I've never had an issue with using a Time Machine restoration. I've done it multiple times without a hitch. I wanted to see how well it worked when it was touted, and it worked great. Had to use it once on my parent's iMac and it was flawless again, and was flawless with this swap. Make sure you choose the Restoration from system backup across the top. If you install OS X and then choose to migrate your data from a Time Machine backup, you'll install the version of OS X that is on the installation disc. In my example that would be 10.5.0. If you do it that way, you'll need to download all of your updates, and that's a hassle.

The restoration installs your system just the way it was on the old drive.

Apple doesn't tweak their drives and they don't have special RAM either. OEM stuff like other manufacturers. I never buy memory from Apple, it's overpriced. I got 2GB of Corsair from newegg after I first got my MacBook. My original drive was a Toshiba 120GB 5400 RPM SATA-1 drive. To find out specs of your current MacBook, you can go to this site:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Enter your serial number and you'll get your model info and the date of manufacture.

Hope that helps. Enjoy the drive!

10. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CLuv: you say no need to run software update..... im actaully running a slightly older leopard version..... i dont update to the latest..... for coupla reasons.....
    eg...im on 10.5.4.......so will this version be restored.....or will it update to the latest?

i know someone going to america soon....so might tell them to bring me back a hard drive and some more ram.....i will have to buy 4gb wont I? as i think my current is two sticks of 2gb each...... i think there are only two slots, right?

yeah time machine sound fine.....

thankyou. ...

11. CLuv macrumors 6502

Doing a restoration from a Time Machine backup will have your new drive exactly the same as your old. So if you're running 10.5.4 now, you'll be 10.5.4 on the new drive when you boot up. Same data different drive size.

MacBook has only two slots. You can install 4GB, but depending on which revision you have the system will see either 3GB or 4. My model will only see 3GB. Later models see all 4. Use the link to find out which version you have by using your serial number.

12. paolo- macrumors 6502a

A faster hdd may not be the best for the buck in terms of performance. Samplers and vst (no audiounits ?) use lots of RAM, more than they put stress on the hdd. Recording and playing with stuff you recorded is generally what strains a hdd. A faster hdd will help your overall computer performance, but if you're doing music with minimal recording of tracks, then ram is probably what your computer is lacking.

Check how much free space is left on your computer, make sure you have a couple of gigs freed up. Then open activity monitor and open your logic project, check how much real memory is used by logic. Locking tracks individually might help you export your tracks for now.

Hope this helps, and gives you another perspective on the problem.

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I think what you need more than a 7200 HDD is more RAM. I'm not sure, but I think your MacBook can even run with 6 GB, which would be the most ideal amount for your work. If you want more performance gains then I would say get an SSD, but they are pretty pricy (you could keep your main files on the SSD and other media on an external via Firewire). It just depends on your budget.

14. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cluv = thanks.....i like the sound of time machine.....
    yeah i made sure the macbook i bought could support up to 4gb....so im guessing 4gb is my limit.....that chipmunk is foregn language for me....but....apple menu>about this mac>more info....opens up this info window.....with ALL the details.....very helpful.

paolo = cheers..... yeah most people are saying buy more ram....so i will do.....
    coupla gigs free on laptop? yeah i have 20gb free left on drive now....but in the past ive been using it with like a gb or two...... suppose more space helps...... for temp storgage or something......man...activity monitor is compicated.......
    activity monitor and menu meters app say my ram or CPU is NOT being pushed to limit..... i have like at least 400MB left on ram...... when im experiencing sluggishness. Someone said its NI battery problem....not mac or logic.......

patriks = ill leave SSD for now.....man i dont understand all this...... so SSD is faster than sata drive?

shall i buy RAM from uk or usa?
    (i live in UK)
    (but i know someone going to states soon)

newsegg & OWC sites i know about..... UK doesnt have companies like this.

shall i just get the same as i have now....but 4gb of it?
    eg...i have DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed: 667 MHz

i have to buy 4gb ram, 2 x 2gb sticks right? so then what do i do with my current 2 x 1gb sticks? sell them on ebay?

or can i get better specd ram?

15. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Sounds possible that you're getting trouble with NI battery. 400mb left is not that much ram, especially if Logic is the only program running, but should surely be enough. 20gb free hdd space should be good too.

Try creating a project with only a drum track in NI battery and bouncing that to audio. That should tell us if you're hitting the bottom of your computer or if there's a problem with your drums :p

16. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

just purchased 4gb ram from crucial UK.

so...make a simple NI battery on track song....and check how?

17. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Check if you get any errors when exporting that single track song to an audio file.

18. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4gb ram.

Not made too much diff.
    Closing/quitting apps is super fast.
    Opening apps seems same as before on 2gb.

I still get the spinning icon often....even though i have lots of free ram....
    so i think the spinning icon is not entirely about amount of ram....i thought it was...when swap and paging occurs due to low ram available.....

Mac gets way hotter now too....