Shambolic Apple Launch at Covent Garden Store, London, UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Picapau21, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

So thought I would share my experience.

I have never picked up on launch day before. Always had the phone delivered but decided to pick up in store this time.

Pickup time was 9-9.30. Arrived at 9.15. Asked to join a queue even though I had paid for it. Waited in said queue till 10.30 before I was let in. All the time people form the back with later times who were signing up or upgrading using IUP were being queue jumped to the front.

Having already paid £1150 for a phone I thought this was very disrespectful and rude. Not even an apology from apple staff. What made things worse was that there were about 20 apple staff members just standing at the front door cheering when some one walked out with a phone!!!!! Why dont they go and serve some customers instead?!!

Will never order for store pickup again. Shambolic.

2. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

you had to wait an hour to get your phone on launch day?

sorry but i don't think you're going to get too many sympathy points for this one
    ; )

3. Picapau21 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you miss the point. I had come to collect a pre-paid item based on a pre-selected time. I had to be at a meeting shortly after and was not expecting to be at the apple store for an hour and a half past the scheduled time. I finally left at 11.30am. Being that disorganised with appointments would not have been acceptable in my line of work and neither should it be for apple. Had I been told that the arrival time I was given was just an estimate and I may have to wait for quite some time I would have re-organised my day in advance or opted for delivery instead.

Also queue jumping people with later arrival times just because they are on IUP is just plain un fair.

As i said I have never actually opted to collect in store on launch day. Will make sure I dont have anything planned next time. Lesson learnt.

4. meikdunj macrumors regular

5. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

And here I thought “shambolic” was some sort of ritual, dedication, or spiritual awakening.

6. Picapau21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably a bit of an over reaction but overall I didn’t think the experience was great.

7. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I understand (and agree) with OP. But at the same time, yes; as crappy as it is, I would expect that.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I had a very different experience at the Brent Cross Apple store. Admittedly the store wasn’t as busy as the Covent Garden and Regent Street stores probably were. My pick up time was 11:00am to 11:30am but I got there at 10:30am. I was immediately showed to the pick up line which only had four people in front of me.

Within five minutes I was handed over to a sales person and by 11:00am I was done. I would have been done sooner but I wanted to pay for Apple Care which I had forgotten to add when I preordered. I also signed up for a business account too. All in all it was a pretty smooth and pleasant experience.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Maybe it was a bit of an over reaction but I understand and agree where you’re coming from. It was shoddy customer service and should have been handled a lot better.

9. rawCpoppa macrumors 6502

Iup strikes again over paid in full. Paid in full preorders online weren’t bumped vs those who ordered online via iup. Even iup orders placed after those who paid in full.

10. Picapau21 thread starter macrumors 6502

That was probably the most annoying thing. After queueing for an hour people from the back of the queue who were getting IUP were bumped to the front.

Oh well. No harm done and life goes on.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Glad everything went smoothly at Brent Cross. My order my pickup from there next time.

11. laptech macrumors 6502

laptech

From reading other comments in other iphone X threads, it appears many of the Apple stores were operating a two que system, one for pre-paid orders and one for walkin customers. Is it possible the Covent Garden store failed to operate this system or did the OP not realise there was two ques and just accepted being put in one que without asking questions about pre-paid customers.

I know if i was pre-paid, i would find a Apple employee and point out i am a pre-paid customer and thus where should i que. Did the OP do this?

12. Picapau21 thread starter macrumors 6502

There was only one queue.

13. qba-system macrumors newbie

I had a similar experience in the Chicago store. I paid in full for the phone and scheduled the pickup between 10 and 10:30am. I got to the store around 10:15 and was informed that I have to wait in line (outside on a rainy day). There were many people waiting so I asked the rep about estimated time. She happy said: about an hour. At this point I just went home, cAncelled my order and called Apple to file a complaint.
    I find this totally unacceptable. Apple should update/revise their scheduling process. I expect that this transactions should be completed within 10-15min of my arrival. Apple should simply not schedule appointments if they don’t have capacity to service that many customers in a timely fashion.