Shaming Children So Parents Will Pay the School Lunch Bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 3, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/well/family/lunch-shaming-children-parents-school-bills.html?_r=0
    freaking retarded to throw the food away when the kid is trying to eat it. one state is doing better https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/well/family/new-mexico-outlaws-school-lunch-shaming.html
    I do like some of the ideas
    I don't see much problem working for your meal, that should teach the kid to do well so that he can provide for himself in the future.

2. Zenithal Suspended

Cleaning tables? This is what they did when I was a young lad going to school. If you couldn't pay for lunch, they let you eat, but kindly asked you clean a table or two using some warm water solution. This was long before computers were common, far long before the internet was even invented, no one thought of making cell phones, and a portable music player was a 50 lb boombox, also before the awful ****** music of the 1980s.

You weren't forced to clean then. If you didn't, you'd be reported to a teacher who'd ask you stay after classes for 5-10 minutes.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Shaming kids to punish the parent? Man that sounds like a religion doing it. I don't mind having the kid work but to shame them in front of others is just being mean. Now maybe if you made the parents do it that would be better.

4. Zenithal Suspended

I foresee a reality TV show based on the practice. Good thinking, Steve.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

God just what America needs another reality TV show.

6. mollyc macrumors 6502a

My kids regularly rotate through cafeteria chores as a matter of practice at their schools. Table washer, sweeper, throw away stuff from the table. Normal business for all the kids, K-6.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Absolutely no reason for this. Let the kids eat, create an account for the parents and send them to collections if they don't pay. Simple.

8. Zenithal Suspended

Just throw a child molester in there and TLC will pick it up.

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Not only are you embarrassing kids but imagine all the food being wasted. Ask them to stay to clean discretely, sure. Throw away their food or stamp them on the arm? Hell no.

10. Zenithal Suspended

Technically, the lunch costs a fraction of what the child pays. And the cost of acquiring is already a sunk cost or rather depending on the state. Some states pay public schools for each attending child on a daily basis. Technically speaking, the cost of buying the lunch materials from the supplier was already paid off prior to the child picking it up. If anything, it's simply wasted food.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Got your religion jab in huh :p

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you finally got me after I have beating on your drum now back on topic.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Seems to contradict pretty much every schools policy on bullying. This story looks likes it's shamed the school more than anything..

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If that's normal for everyone, then so be it.

If it's done as a punishment to the poor kids, who have done literally nothing wrong here, that's just making their lives more miserable and humiliating them in front of their peers.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Free lunch? Where do I sign my kids up for that? Oh wait, Im an idiot thats gainfully employed. Nevermind.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, stupid you for not living in poverty simply to take advantage of a school lunch program :rolleyes:

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Yeah because poor people are lucky, eh?

18. mollyc macrumors 6502a

Yes, I don't disagree with this; you are right that kids shouldn't be shamed for their parents' misfortune.

19. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Setting aside the comment by @s2mike , you actually don't even need to be "poor" to qualify for free or reduced lunch. Last I checked, you can eat reduced if your household income is 80% of the median and free if you're under 150% of the federal poverty level. That's for a family of 4 and it goes up with larger family sizes.

Other than simply irresponsibility, I don't think there are many situations where parents should be sending kids to school with no way to eat lunch.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Great, that's just a band aid to the fact that almost half of Americans have no money whatsoever given the state of employment in America.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

What's wrong with employment and why do you think that half of Americans have no money?

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I'm surprised Republicans haven't yet passed a bill to make lunch shaming mandatory.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So, let me understand, you and the people who gave this post a like support shaming students?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Employment is near "full" but wages are so low that nearly half on Americans cannot scrounge up $500 in an emergency.

Now, some would make the absurd claim that somehow ~125 million Americans are just too lazy or stupid to save money, but that argument is absolutely absurd when purchasing power of wages is less than that of 1968, while living expenses have increase multifold.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/pf/americans-lack-of-savings/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-americans-cant-afford-a-500-emergency-expense/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggie...avings-to-cover-a-500-emergency/#1fd69d264e0d

So that's what's wrong with the system.

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

From your first article:

Most people can accumulate savings, some just choose not to.