Shanghai Bullet Train @ 250MPH

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Chinese and German engineers are rushing to prepare the world's first commercial magnetic levitation train, capable of speeds of around 250 mph, for a debut run some time around New Year's Day, 2003.

By contrast, bullet trains such as France's TGV, Germany's ICE and Japan's Shinkansen top speeds of about 160 mph.

The futuristic German-made "maglev" train has begun trial runs on its 19-mile-long track in Shanghai, Shi Qiong, a spokeswoman for the Shanghai Maglev Transportation Corp, said Tuesday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/12/03/international2159EST0789.DTL

Great! Osama has a new target.

Peter :D

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Very cool.

Now if only we could convince the American public that mass public transportation is a good thing.

Imagine going coast-to-coast on a mag-lev train.

Pure Sweetness.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The link isn't working for me - anyone else with that problem?

So, 250 mph, but only a 19 mile track? They'll get up to speed and then have to slow down. At full speed they'll cover the distance in 4.5 minutes.....:rolleyes:

D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by dukestreet
The link isn't working for me - anyone else with that problem?

So, 250 mph, but only a 19 mile track? They'll get up to speed and then have to slow down. At full speed they'll cover the distance in 4.5 minutes.....:rolleyes:

D

I would bet that the track is a big oval. Your calculations don't take in to consideration accel and decel time.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by topicolo
Wouldn't it be insanely expensive to power all of those electromagnets all along the track?
It depends on how efficient of a conductor they are using. Last I knew maglev was too costly and unreasonable until they could achieve room temperature or near room temperature super-conductors. I understand though that they are getting close with ceramics. This means they don't have to cool the conductor down nearly as much to get as close to a perfect conductor (no resistance) as man has achieved.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by MacBandit

I would bet that the track is a big oval. Your calculations don't take in to consideration accel and decel time.
I finally got to read the article, its a straight shot - 7 minute one way, takes a cab 30 minutes. Not bad really. But it would do much better if the track was longer.

D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by dukestreet

I finally got to read the article, its a straight shot - 7 minute one way, takes a cab 30 minutes. Not bad really. But it would do much better if the track was longer.

D
You're referring to the eventual transit track. This is not the same as the test track that they refer to.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by MacBandit

It depends on how efficient of a conductor they are using. Last I knew maglev was too costly and unreasonable until they could achieve room temperature or near room temperature super-conductors. I understand though that they are getting close with ceramics. This means they don't have to cool the conductor down nearly as much to get as close to a perfect conductor (no resistance) as man has achieved.
True, but don't those new ceramic superconductors still require like -78C to reach superconductivy, and aren't they supposed to be super brittle?

Nice 'tar btw :) I gotta admire a man with taste--err tastes

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by topicolo

True, but don't those new ceramic superconductors still require like -78C to reach superconductivy, and aren't they supposed to be super brittle?

Nice 'tar btw :) I gotta admire a man with taste--err tastes

I don't really no much about the ceramic superconductors or even modern superconductor technology for that matter.

This was all from my memory from 6 or 7 years ago.

Thanks on the tar. I've been waiting for a response one way or the other on it. I figured I would upset some really PC people. Though that would make me happy.:p :D

rafark

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2017
What are the environmental implications? ie: animals crashing with the train?

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Beginning of May I took the high speed train from Kunming to Guiyang, a distance of 463km. The comfortable journey took 2.5 hours. The highest speed I saw on the digital display, fitted in every carriage, was 294 kp/h. Later trains on the same route take just 2hrs 8mins. Cost was $33.4. For the most part, China has public transport sorted out. Meanwhile, cars, cities and congestion are in stark contrast. A similar train infrastructure scaled down to fit UK would transform the country.

Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Bullet trains and metro trains are simply amazing in China. Hotel to airport is 7 RMB on metro in Shenzhen. That is roughly $1.
As you can see many use it and take advantage of it. Less cars on the road, better air quality and more money in people’s pockets. Last but not least, much faster too!
You can use WeChat on your smartphone to pay too. All easy,convenient,fast and efficient.
I bet if they had a similar option out of LAX it would probably cost at least $15.

Safe..? Inside the metro train there are camera roughly every 8-10 feet.

1E28EC46-5A0E-4EF5-A934-2C0BB3539ADA.jpeg
28F91879-FFFA-45EA-A21B-693ADBF33E04.jpeg
77F594BB-6507-4F6C-8909-0750B3BE3884.jpeg

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Bullet trains and metro trains are simply amazing in China. Hotel to airport is 7 RMB on metro in Shenzhen. That is roughly $1.
As you can see many use it and take advantage of it. Less cars on the road, better air quality and more money in people’s pockets. Last but not least, much faster too!
You can use WeChat on your smartphone to pay too. All easy,convenient,fast and efficient.
I bet if they had a similar option out of LAX it would probably cost at least $15.

Safe..? Inside the metro train there are camera roughly every 8-10 feet.

View attachment 775689 View attachment 775690 View attachment 775691
You forgot to factor in the price or basic human rights and privacy, but hey, that is a cheap fare!

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Chinese and German engineers are rushing to prepare the world's first commercial magnetic levitation train, capable of speeds of around 250 mph, for a debut run some time around New Year's Day, 2003.

By contrast, bullet trains such as France's TGV, Germany's ICE and Japan's Shinkansen top speeds of about 160 mph.
What TGVs have they been on?
They used to cruise at about 300kph (186mph), but I've had a look and the newer models have crusing speeds of 320kph.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You’re replying to a 15-year-old comment.
TGV commercial service was limited to 260 km/h at the beginning (1981). Raised to 270 km/h in 1982. 300 km/h in 1989.

It was not raised to 320km/h until 2007.

The AGV (2008) is engineered for 360 km/h service.

The new TGVs will be about 20% cheaper, 20% more efficient, and take 20% more passengers, engineered for 350 km/h service. First version (USA) in 2021-2023.

Talgo AVRIL 2nd gen is engineered for 380 km/h service.

What happens with maglev is that it can accelerate quickly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.