Share as a Time Machine backup destination - Limit Backups to X not working

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by djc6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. djc6 macrumors 6502a

djc6

I have a Mac mini (Mid 2011) running Sierra with macOS Server running Time Machine Service.

I'm replacing with a Late 2018 Mac mini - running Mojave. The Time Machine Service is gone from macOS Server; similar functionality is allegedly available as an "Advanced Option" in the Sharing preference pane. There is an option "Share as a Time Machine backup destination" along with "Limit Backups to X" gigabytes.

My backup drive is a thunderbolt RAID1 array - setup via Disk Utility as software raid. Two 6TB drives. The volume is formatted HFS+ - I can plug it into the new mac mini, and the macs backing up to it pretty much pick up where they left off, once I reselected the new disk on the clients.

The only part I'm struggling with is the quota/limit functionality - I can't get it to work in Mojave!

Other posts online claim to see a log entry like this on the clients when mounting the sparsebundle, I don't see it:

I don't see anything in the logs regarding 'Quota'. I am using the following to search the logs:

I have even streamed all log messages in case the Quota information message is no longer "TimeMachine" - no dice.

I set the limit to something super low like 150GB and then tried to backup a laptop with 275GB worth of data on it. Time Machine on the laptop just reports the 1.7 TB available on the network share and backs up the entire laptop over a couple hours.

I see ".com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist" file in root of the network share, it has the proper value from the dialog box limit - if I change the limit, the plist is immediately updated to reflect my wishes. It just doesn't do anything. Permissions on the .plist seem correct, its readable by everyone.

Any ideas on how to setup/test limits on Mojave Time Machine shares? Thanks!

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Sounds like you're having a bug, I'd report it to Apple and hope it gets sorted