Share Canon Pixma iP3300 from Windows XP to Mac OS X 10.4

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nigrunze, Sep 10, 2007.

1. nigrunze macrumors regular

This is really annoying me.
    I know there are other threads like this but not for this printer and I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting it working.

I'm trying to set up our Canon Pixma iP3300 printer connected to our XP PC to share with my new aluminum iMac. I installed gutenprint and went through the mess involving creating an advanced connection via Windows Samba. Afterwards I picked the Canon BJC-7000 driver because that's supposedly the closest driver compatibility wise to the Pixma iP3300.

If anybody knows what to do, then thanks for trying to help. Please start at the beginning just incase I forgot something.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

3. nigrunze thread starter macrumors regular

OK. It's not working. I did everything those guides said to but it just doesn't want to work. I'm at the step after I enter the authentication password, but the printer won't appear in the (blank) list.

I have managed to get printer sharing working from my brother's mac when it was here and connected to that computer. The printer is now connected to our PC and my mac can recognize it when I boot into Windows.

So to reiterate. Win-->Win-Check. OSX-->OSX-Check. Windows-->OSX-Not Working

Why won't any printer appear in the Windows Printing list?:mad:

Also, when I look for the list in "Add Printer", my printer model is not listed. I don't think there were any Pixma iP printers in the list until I installed Gutenprint. Now there are Pixma iP printers in the Canon printer list but not the iP3300 that I have.

Any ideas?

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

The LPR method doesn't require authentication. That's why I gave you that.

I'd be trying the iP3100 gutenprint model driver. You could also pay for a suitable driver from www.printfab.net (or use the trial period for troubleshooting).

For troubleshooting, please enter this command in the Terminal (with IP address of the Windows computer):
    smbclient -NL [IP address]

You can paste the output back here.

5. nigrunze thread starter macrumors regular

OK. Here's what I got from the terminal. I see a few failings in there.

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

The "failed" lines aren't important - you were asking for available shares with "No Login."

I don't see a printer shared there - can you check printer properties to be sure it's shared?