Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I am a Windows User but would like to get started with a Mac. I am thinking of getting a Mac Mini. In the Windows world I can share two desktops with a KVM for Monitor (RGB) / Keyboard / Mouse. I don't want to run Windows on the Mac. I prefer to have separate computers. I have consided maybe using Remote Desktop from Windows to the Mac or the other way around.

If I have made myself clear can anybody recommend the best approach. And can you even use a Windows Keyboard and Mouse with a Mac. I assume the Monitor (with DVI) is not a problem.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
buying a KVM is the hardware solution

synergy is the software solution to share keyboard, monitor, mouse (google it)

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Don't let the outdated year of Synergy fool you if you check it out - it works well and has not been updated because it works. That is if you get it set up properly. It's quite easier for the pc side but can confuse people when configuring it for Mac.

If using one computer or the other is all you need to do (as it sounds like it is) your KVM should do the trick. They work fine for Macs as they do for PC's or amongst mixed boxes.

On the software side remote desktop is always good. Or a good free remote access software that plays well now with Macs & PCs is LogMeIn. It has a very nice interface and the free version is all many people need (at the time of this post the free version does not expire). For what it's worth when I was a system admin for a few years the company I worked for used LogMeIn (Pro Version) as our main remote access tool. I still use the free version to work on my office computer from home/everywhere.

As for windows keyboards and mice most work on newer Macs. There are a few that have features not fully supported, but for the most part windows keyboards and mice plug in and work seamlessly. I use the Logitech G15 Keyboard (full features all working including LCD Display) and the MX518 mouse (all buttons supported and working) on my iMac. Although I admit to already putting the Apple keyboard and mouse back when tidying up for company to come over! :eek: I also carry a Microsoft mini wireless laptop mouse in my MBP sleeve that works fine if and when I use it.

* Edit to say have fun buying your new mac! You'll like it no matter which one you get. *

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.