Share monitor, mouse and keyboard between mini and MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jdelgado, Mar 27, 2016.

1. jdelgado macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have a mini and a MBP that I use regularly for work.
    The mini has attached a monitor, wired mouse, and wired keyboard.
    I would like to use the MBP with the monitor, mouse and keyboard easily. Currently, I unplug them from the mini and plug them into the MBP.
    Is there something (KVM?) that I can get so that I do not have to plug/unplug them from the mini every time? I can settle for something that handles the monitor and go with wireless mouse and keyboard.
    Thanks!

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

You could connect everything to the MBP and then use remote access to access the Mini. I use Easy Remote Desktop, but there are other options (Screens)... I use a Mini to drive my home entertainment system, but access it through Easy Remote Desktop.

3. jdelgado thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Using remote desktop is certainly an option. However, I have tried it, and performance (in my case) is not the best and would like to evaluate a hardware solution.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The biggest issue with the KVM solution is the Bluetooth mouse/keyboards. Alternatively, there are BT keyboards that can pair with multiple devices. Not so with BT mice. And the TB/DisplayPort monitors can also be problematic. I see the VGA adapters as a PITA, personally.

6. kryten42 macrumors 6502

kryten42