Shared tab in Folders shows lots of other pc 'names'..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paulsenglish, Aug 3, 2010.

1. paulsenglish macrumors newbie

One of my MacBooks shows a 'Shared' tabe in Finder which contains the 'names' of 10 or so other pc's.

They aren't connected, but does anyone know if these are dangerous things or harmless ?

Whether they are or not, I want to get rid of them as they aren't connected to the other user of the computer.

How can I do that ?

Looking forward to any helpful knowledge on this.

Thanks

Paul

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not harmful and doesn't mean you're connected to them. It only means they appear on the network.

3. paulsenglish thread starter macrumors newbie

Shared tab in Folders shows lots of other pc 'names'..

Thanks.

I'm happy to hear that, but how did they get there ?

I wonder if there is something in the settings that needs changing to restrict access in case I go somewhere where my MacBook could be open for others to take info.

Paul

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're on a network, your Mac automatically detects other devices that appear on that network. Just because your Mac detects them, doesn't mean you're connected to them. If you haven't specifically activated file sharing (System Preferences > Sharing) and authorized a computer on the network to access your computer, they can't access your system.

5. paulsenglish thread starter macrumors newbie

I get it. I'll check out System Prefs and see.

Thanks again

6. Xenophon macrumors regular

Not to worry, perfectly harmless if you deactivated sharing as was said above, at least provided they're not all connected to your home wireless router, in which case you might want to check its security settings ;)

7. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

If it bothers you, you can go to the Finder preferences (⌘-, when in Finder), go to the sidebar tab, and uncheck Bonjour Computers in the Shared section.

Then you won't see them anymore.