Shariah Bumper Sticker

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Driving around today I saw this bumper sticker:

FREEDOM- Yes! Shariah Islamic Law- No!

and I saw it was sponsored by Act for America and I wondered why someone would fee the need to display this message? Are we as a country about to have our laws and courts subverted and converted to Shariah Law? Just wondering. :confused:

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Ask the folks up in Oklahoma why they felt the need to ban Sharia Law.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

At least it doesn't conjure up a boogeyman.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Bigotry and xenophobia, that's all it is. There's no threat from Muslims or Sharia Law.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Perhaps it has something to do with this bit of weirdness?
    Kind of a sucky deal if you ask me: at least with a traditional mortgage, you can skip payment steps by paying extra principle (most 30 year mortgages can be cut to 10 years or less by making small extra principle payments early on).

7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Well to be fair I'm not a fan of Sharia Law...But I'm not a fan of religion ever being involved in the governance of a nation.

Unfortunately those who are against Sharia law or often in favor of Christian theocracy...

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

There's this one out of Florida.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0311/Sharia_law_case_fuels_debate_in_Florida.html

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm sorry but that is just stupid. Pretending they're not paying interest on a loan...

There is a difference between accommodating religious beliefs and pandering to them. Much like the Hasidim are pandered to in NYC.

People have a right to choose their lifestyle. They don't have the right to force the government to support it.

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I m honestly far more concerned with Christian extremists then the Islamic variety currently...

11. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

You ever seen a beheading video? If you had you would be rethinking that position.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Christian extremists are more of a threat in this country than Islamic extremists. With a grand total of two Muslims out of 535 elected members of Congress, I don't think we have to worry about Muslim fundies. But we have over a hundred Christian fundies who want to use their ancient belief system to take away equal rights for gays, a woman's right to choose, and want to teach their bogus beliefs in public schools.

Osama Bin Laden can only dream about doing the amount of damage to this country that Christian extremists are doing.

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

14. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Taking away a persons right to marry or choose to terminate a pregnancy is scarier than people that behead people on national TV and strap bombs to children and detonate them in public places? Muslims execute Gays. They execute women who cheat on their husbands. Simply drawing their deity can incite hatred and violence. Islam makes Christianity look like Disney Land. Shariah law can not be allowed to gain a foothold in America in any way. If Muslims want to live in America they must abide by U.S. Law.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sharia law is not trying to gain a foothold in America. There's no evidence it is. To Americans living in America, Christian fundies are the biggest threat.

16. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Do you know how many children kill them selves because Fundamental Christianity has taught them that because they are gay they are not worthy? It's more than all the Americans killed by Islamic Extremist combined.

http://www.soulforce.org/article/653

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Shariah law, a huge danger to the US. :rolleyes:

Please be careful with matches around this issue. Straw catches fire easily, you know.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

American women, God bless them ;), en masse, would beat the living ***** out of anyone trying to take them back to the 15th Century.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You allow them way too much credit.

They are but gnats, in the grand scheme of things.

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

How many of your friends have been beheaded by Muslim extremists?

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It's funny, if this were the 40's and the bumper sticker said "Nuremberg Laws NO, Freedom YES!" Would you have a problem with it? Probably not. I can't understand why everyone in this thread gets so up in arms about a bumper sticker that's actually true just because it's related to muslims and their twisted social structures in their homelands. It's not saying Islam NO! Now THAT would be racist. Sharia law is vile and disgusting. While i agree there is no threat of sharia law in the US, i wouldn't call it a racist bumper sticker. Pointless yes. Racist? Not at all.

Agreed. And honestly, most of them do. A lot of them leave their countries because of the oppression they felt there and appreciate living here.

22. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

what damage are you referring to? ... source that for me please

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

WOW, i just read this article and can't believe that happened in my state. I'm glad it was overturned. That first judge was a complete idiot. Maybe anti-sharia legislation isn't so ridiculous after all, and neither are those bumper stickers.

Here is another example from the article...
    This is absurd, there should be no such thing as an Islamic court is the US, even if both partners consent and sign a contract. Time to get anti-sharia legislation going in my home state.

25. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Sharia Law will never play any part in western government. Heck the governments who employ it in the Muslim world are mainly dictators who do it in extremes because it's a convenient tool for social control. I doubt the actual Muslims who have to live under these regimes are too happy about it anyway.