Shattered front glass on my iPhone 4 - what is the best and/or cheapest solution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nygiants242, Apr 15, 2012.

1. nygiants242 macrumors member

$199 is a lot. Any other good alternatives? Maybe at smaller, lesser known electronic shops? Thanks!

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

What? Smaller lesser known shops are always a lot more expensive.

3. nygiants242 thread starter macrumors member

More expensive than the Apple Store's $199? I doubt it, but I may be wrong. In any case, do you have any better recommendations?

4. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

Just give them a call, not sure about the price on the iphone 4 but for my 3gs it was only $70 at a independent shop about a year ago.

5. jokemjokester macrumors member

jokemjokester

it's $150 for a iPhone 4 replacement. paying that much for a "brand new" iPhone, is so worth it.

6. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Yes, more expensive because they can't buy products with huge amounts from wholesale warehouses and the more expensive price they get then gets passed on to you.

7. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 screen replacement will cost more than the 3G/3GS as you have to completely dismantle the phone, whereas the 3G/3GS had a simple pop out screen.

If you are handy with a screwdriver, give it a go. If its just the glass thats broken and not the screen, you can buy the glass/digitizer for $20.

Have a look at the ifixit guides before you take a screwdriver to your device!!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

$199 is just for the 4S replacement.
    All other previous iPhone models are $150.

9. Texasboy956 macrumors newbie

Order it yourself online and ifixtit.com to repair yourself. Doesn't take an IQ of 150 unless yours is below 90. :0

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Does that mean that if my IQ is below 90 then I will have to boost my IQ to 150 to have success? :p

11. bill-p macrumors 65816

If you lived close to me, I'd replace the screen for you for $40 (the exact cost of a new screen).

It's really not that hard to replace the screen.

12. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

Repairing it yourself Or iPhone Repair Shops

There are plenty of local tech shops that do iPhone repair, and they don't charge nearly as much as :apple: - You're talking 90-100 bucks for the 4. I know. I do them! But.. you can probably find someone locally. It's becoming a lot bigger now a days.

13. Timzer macrumors 6502

If Apple continues with the Form over logic design philosophy, I definitely won't pick up the next iPhone. Mobile devices should not be designed where a case is a must. Most people, no matter how careful they are, will have their phone dropped one way or another. It's called accidents for a reason. Shattered glass and iPhone 4/4s are now synonymous. Rubbish.

14. PacificBeach macrumors regular

Cheapest solution is to just use it with the shattered glass, cost nothing

15. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

This just happened to my fiances 4. It seemed like a waste to pay apple 150 to get a refurb. And getting a 4s is not worth it.
    So I slapped a screen protector On it and she's gonna have to live with it until the new iPhone comes out. Unless of course she does some other catastrophic damage to the poor thing.

Submerged it in coffee, worked a day later. Her sister spills water on it a week later, no problem.
    Falls out of her pocket 3 feet to the floor, screen cracks. So much for having an Incase slider

16. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Smartest guy in the thread. I ALWAYS say this when people are asking such questions. It's going to run at least $50 to have it done, do it yourself and boom goes the dynamite... jacked up ribbon cable. $150 for a "new" iPhone is a steal.

Nothing wrong with the 4/4s design. I have never broken any of my 4/4s's and neither have hundreds of thousands of others. Cases aren't a must but if you take your chances AND have butter fingers don't cry and say it's a bad design.

So your fiance gave up her own free will when she got engaged to you? Why do you have any say in what SHE does with her phone? Sounds like she's in for a very fun marriage.

17. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Buy a replacement screen on ebay for 30 and repair it yourself. You can find a video how to on you tube.