Shattered iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Davidish, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Davidish, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

Davidish macrumors member

Hey everyone

I sadly cracked my iPhone 4 screen today. It's sad to look at ):

I'll be upgrading to an iPhone 5s this January. Do you guys think it'll be worth spending the $50-$100 doing a DIY fix or should I just save my money and wait it out?

I've done some research and it looks like the kits from Amazon really vary in quality and the kits from iFixit are pretty much $100... so... bleh.

I am a not so wealthy college student btw.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sometimes when they crack, you only get a line or two going through the screen... like this
    [​IMG]

but in your situation, I would repair it especially since you will have it for at least another two months

3. tttmac macrumors member

If the glass bits bother your touch movement or even cuts you, then
    if you had a backup phone(even a dumb phone) that would be great, and you can just sell this as-is on ebay or something. and then upgrade in January...

4. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Please, next time, put a nice glass screen protector on it, and perhaps a case, and those drops will not be so damaging.

5. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Tell people it's not cracked, it's just your wallpaper picture.

6. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

Pretty much this. I'd honestly either repair or get a cheap backup device, as you could be cut using the device, or worse, someone else if they use your phone.

7. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I would be concerned about glass fragments cutting you, falling into your food, in your house.. etc. etc..

8. stringent macrumors 6502

stringent

I replaced the screen on an iPhone 4 using iFixit. It does take a lot of patience, but worth it. TBH what could be worse looking at a cracked screen or having a screen which isn't cracked but isn't quite as good as the original. My 3rd party screen isn't as good (slightly washed colours) as the genuine Apple part.

But if you can hold out till January, then save your money for the upgrade.

9. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Personally, I would wait it out since it would be in 6-8 weeks. I wouldn't spend $100 especially if I was a college student.

10. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

People have posted saying they would be worried about it cutting you or getting in your food or whatever. I smashed my iPhone 4 back in May in a similar way to yours and it's fine. Now I'm not saying yours is *not* going to cut you, that's for you to feel if there are any sharp edges protruding. But if it's not, and since money isn't so available as a college student, then I'd say wait it out until January. It's only a couple of months away. If the phone works, and it's not a hazard, then 2 months really will be fine. And when you get a new 5S you can be amazed by it's intact screen! :)

Alex

11. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Just fix it.

12. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

I cracked my 4S in a similar way a couple months ago and it did cut me, even without protruding edges it still cuts a little, plus there are tiny pieces of glass falling out of the cracks. I suggest getting a cheap screen protector just to keep the glass pieces together and protect the hands, that's what I did while waiting for my 5S.

13. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Lol, same. OP I'd wait it out, but put a screen protector on it so the glass doesn't end up cutting you. I know people with chunks taken out of their screen and the phone still works. Shouldn't be a problem unless the cracks bother you.

14. Davidish thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I think I'll try this first and see if I can live with the cracked screen until my upgrade. Thanks for all the replies!

15. pikachu2k7, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013

pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Good luck! I mean, we cannot tell from the pictures but if the glass is hurting your fingers, then you should do something about it. A screen protector is a good idea.

----------

Actually, try an otterbox case. That way, your fingers are actually touching the "screen" of the otterbox case and not the glass or screen protector. Case+GLass protector!

----------

Might I ask how did this happen? Just curious because I haven't seen a drop this bad before.

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I got my iPhone 4 screen that was cracked fixed... I don't even use it as my phone just as a car iPod. It was worth because now it's like new with a new back as well (custom). If you are for sure upgrading to the 5S you don't need to spend to fix it, but its nice to fix things that are broken even if it costs a little.

17. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Just put a screen protector so the bits of glass don't fall or cut your finger, I'd say wait only if the iphone can still recognize the touches.

18. ratbrain macrumors member

think the screen replacement kits are as low as $12 online. check ebay and there are tons of you tube videos that show you how to do it.

if your budget concerned, fixing it under $20 would be the most cost efficient.

19. Gincoma macrumors 6502

20. Davidish thread starter macrumors member

Not too sure myself. Went to eat and realized I didn't have it later since I was playing with a friend's 5s the whole time. Called it, a guy picked up, and returned it to the front desk. It was shattered when I went to claim it.

My theory is it was run over by a car/bike or stepped on since it was found outside. I had a case on it and the phone has survived A LOT of of bad drops before. Maybe this was the unlucky fall though.

21. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

I am glad that you at least got your phone back.

22. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Try contacting your carrier and ask if an early upgrade could be possible. Explain what happened and a rep might be nice!

23. fengxiao macrumors newbie

Reply to Thread

Please contact your carrier to detect specific problems.

24. macguy78 macrumors member

I had the same thing happen to my iphone 4 about 6 weeks. First, I tried adding a simple screen protector to keep from cutting myself. Unfortunately it started to peel because of a few glass shards. Now, I have taped the corners of the screen protector to the phone to keep it flat. It's not pretty but it works well enough. I should have my new 5s by next week.

I don't mind waiting it out - it should make the upgrade appear that much better. I suggest waiting it out if you can.