She’s black, female, Muslim, covered, and licensed to carry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 4, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.philly.com/opinion/musl...vIaFgR2KYbYr-cylhdxTySKt9Acem8yw-Ttiet6KI36PU
    glad to see more women taking matters into their own hands.

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

Glock 19 is a fine weapon. Personally, I prefer the XD for 'cheap' 9mm segment.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If she carried a 1911 then it would be holy because it was designed by the prophet JMB PBUH.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

protection of her family falls to her, so yes.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The fact she needs to go to those lengths is the scary bit.

8. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

You’re not supposed to understand. You live in Wales. It truly is a different mindset. The cops in the UK don’t routinely carry guns. It couldn’t be much more different.

I’m not saying that as a knock. I’m saying that you should be glad you have difficulty relating. At the same time, for those people who do live in a country where firearms are far more prevalent, it’s a different mentality to Wales. It probably wouldn’t be scary to you if you lived in the U.S. (Not that everyone carries of course!!)

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

indeed, culturally we have a lot of things to change , but until then it's better we have the freedom to chose how we defend ourselves.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I understand it’s a very different culture of course. I just count myself lucky I live where I do and that these issues are not present here. There’s a lot to be said for living in the South Wales valleys where people aren’t being stabbed or shot regularly.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad she is taking steps to protect herself and her family.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think your perception of the US is a little off.

There are roughly 30,000 deaths in the US per year. 2/3 of those are suicides, so we’re looking at about 10,000 deaths where someone shoots someone else.

60% of those deaths are confined to a few dozen zip codes that account for far less than 1% of the total area of the United States. If you randomly picked some place to live in outside of these areas, your odds of being randomly shot to death aren’t going to be materially different than they are in your gunless-portion of South Wales. I live in a suburban county outside of Atlanta with a population of a little over 900,000 residents. Last year, we had about 40 homicides combined. Something like half of those were gun-related ones.

I’m not saying we don’t have a gun issue as a nation, but some people seem to think it’s Somalia over here or something. The vast majority of the country is as safe or safer than any other part of the first world.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’m well aware that it’s highly unlikely you’ll get shot in the US, I’ve visited the country enough times. It’s the mindset I challenge where people feel obligated to arm themselves even if the chances of needing to use a gun are perhaps 1/1000000. It’s much like the UK at the moment with knife crime. We have far too many people on the news who have been victims of stabbings, yet the chances of being stabbed are about as slim as they get. A lot of emphasis on crime in London gets associated with the rest of the UK, especially it seems in the American media. Despite being a rather small island, it’s a big place with a fifth of the population of the US squeezed into a land mass the size of some States.

We get violent crime like any country but the mindset is very different in terms of preparing for something 99% of people never have to contemplate. We have on average 10 murders per million people with statistics in 2017 being inflated by the findings of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 where 96 people were finally added to the official tally 28 years later. I come from a society that works hard to tackle people who carry weapons in public and prevent such weapons being a common item on the streets. Culturally we are forever discouraging people from using weapons to commit crimes or for protection. Contrast this to the US where it’s actively encouraged to carry guns from the highest level of office. This is why views here are so different.

14. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

1 in a million? I'd argue that YOUR mindset is way off. A few examples I just googled:

Homicide: 1 in 18,000
    Rape: 1 in 6 (women)

And that's just two crimes. There are many, many more.

In any case, an individual person may have specific circumstances in their life that makes their personal odds significantly different than the national average. It's entirely possible that this person's personal odds are much higher than average. She's already been robbed, and statistically people who have been victims of crime are more likely to experience crime in the future (repeat victimization) than those who haven't.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

What you’ve got to remember is London and Newport have much higher murder rates than the rest of England and Wales so the stats don’t really translate to places further afield. The last murder in my town was in 1999 and we have a population of 21k. If you travel to Newport then they probably have one a month. It’s all relative and I have no reason to arm myself here as the need just isn’t there.

16. jeyf macrumors 65816

gun ownership has in effect raised the bar. even the Ballet has metal detectors at the door these days.

a school shooting here still fresh and red:
    -cops apprehended the (2) shooters but took them hours to figure one shooter was a girl
    -rumor at least one student was shot by the rental security guard.

i really don't care but the Somalia comparison is funny.

17. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Fair enough, but I had assumed when you complained about the mindset of people arming themselves, you were talking about the USA.

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I was comparing the mindset of both countries as I’m not an American myself.

19. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

She’s brave and forward thinking.

She refuses to rely on men for her own protection.

Tip of the hat to her.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

It’s highly likely she’s protecting herself against men in a disproportionately violent society too.

21. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I don’t understand religion.. She seems a bit of a contradiction to me. Divorced, devout Muslim, carries a firearm.

But good on her for carrying a firearm legally and encouraging others to do the same. The glock also goes well with her outfit.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Absolutely true, but perhaps there should be more concern in the US. No other Western country would consider the number of guns in the US as 'normal'. There was one school shooting in the UK in which kids were gunned down with a pistol. The perfectly rational response was to ban pistols, and voilà, no more school shootings. In the US things are a little out of hand, and at some point people arming themselves to protect themselves against other armed people will lead to a runaway feed-forward process in which everybody is armed. That is the definition of life out of balance IMO.

Who knows, at some point instead of driving Humvee's for the school run, US soccer parents will drive this:

[​IMG]
    source (link)

:p

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The amusing thing is if Dunblane had been in the US, it would have seen every resident buying a gun and the school would have had armed teachers as a solution. Thank goodness they were proactive and re-evaluated what was more important.

24. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

The NRA Leadership is currently in civil war….. maybe she can emerge as their next NRA Spokesperson. :p

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

I notice you don't really care about changing things so you can defend kids in schools there who are executed by your fellow gun carriers multiple times a year.