She didn't sell the plane on eBay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just one more half-truth out of Sarah Palin's mouth:

TV news reports are going a little further, saying that the plane was bought by someone who had contributed to her campaign.

Now okay, I know: the plane got sold, whether it was on eBay or not. What I object to is the misleading wording, as well as the implication that the plane was a total waste of money. Not as efficient as alternate methods, perhaps, but hardly as bad as the image she gave.

And thanks to atszyman for this Slate article which goes even further in debunking her image and bringing her back down to Earth.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Well, she did put it on eBay, it just didn't sell on eBay.

And I happen not to believe that a 23 year old corporate jet for the governor of a state as large (and hard to navigate) as Alaska is "over the top."

I mean, half the state is inaccessible by car for a third to half of the year, how else is the governor and/or her reps supposed get around it, if not for a plane? But I guess I can understand why people might think selling it was a good PR move. :rolleyes:

She's looking more and more like a short-sighted boob. (no pun intended)

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I have to agree with you. Of all the thing there are to hit Palin with, this is the weakest and really not a big deal.

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It just bothers me that she has to burnish her thin credentials by making such things look like much greater accomplishments than they were. What she's doing, in effect, is nothing different from people who shamelessly pad their resumé.

Why would you need to do that if you're as all-fired wonderful as you say you are?

And of course there are other things: the sins of omission, like forgetting to say that she was for the Bridge before she was against it...and that she kept the money anyway.

Then there are the disturbing things, like talking about banning books, and her statement that she "(hasn't) really focused much on the war in Iraq." Strange, for someone who's running for VP.

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I agree with you on all of those points.

The plane I think she should have kept.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

It's a complete truth. She put it on eBay. Nobody said anything about it actually being bought there.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've actually successfully sold stuff on eBay....can I be vice president too?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/05/plane_not_sold_on_ebay.html

McCain:
    He said she sold it. And he claims she made a profit. The state paid 2.7 million for the jet. It sold for 2.1 million. Now, I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure 2.1 million is significantly less than 2.7 million.

Or is the blatant lie all OK because McCain was a POW?

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Petty BS in terms of attacking Palin. AFAIK, she never actually lied about selling it on eBay.

But McCain needs to adjust his talking point lest he slip back into liar territory...

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have to say you are tough mactastic, but you are usually fair on things, and I appreciate that about you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Meh. The plane couldn't land in rural areas of Alaska due to its size and type. It was a point of a contention long before Palin even got involved.

The former governor of Alaska wanted the plane. He couldn't get the Alaskan legislature to buy it, so he tried to convince the Department of Homeland Security to purchase it for Alaska's Public Safety department. They said no, so he purchased it anyway using executive state funds that he directly controlled.

Reuters has some of the original story,

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...ka_governor_to_sell_predecessors_jet_on_ebay/

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I assumed that it could reach the entire state. Silly me. :D

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It sounded to me like she was making a joke. I didn't figure that you'd sell an exec jet on EBay. Best market's in Asia, anyway; dunno if rich folks there check EBay.

Hey, she knows about fishing. Probably baiting for suckers. Looks like she found some.

:D:D:D

'Rat

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I try sir... Not always successfully of course.

It's good to get some perspective now and again from some of the long-timers, so thank you.

15. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Depends...

Can you make an educated presidential pick next time? :D

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I dunno 'Rat... the early rumor is that the plane was sold to a contributor, and that it was sold at a loss. Somehow I doubt the person who bought it considers themselves to have gotten the short end of that stick...

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think she ment to be funny and not taken literally.

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, she tried to eBay it three times, and it didn't sell there.

Which is the point, isn't it? Why didn't she say at the convention, "I sold the plane to a businessman?" Because the eBay story is cuter. Selling to a businessman is common. Putting a plane on eBay is not.

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apparently, if you're going to buy a private jet in Alaska you need to be able to land on "short gravel airstrips, lakes or even glaciers." (Article linked above.)

You would think, but the "contributor" is currently suing the state of Alaska for $50,000 for unexpected maintenance on the jet.

20. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I'm beginning to wonder if Palin has a single accomplishment in her political career that doesn't have a * next to it. Every claim I've heard her make is like an infomercial that stretches the truth to the absolute boundary it can legally get away with.

21. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

the point is she got rid of it. it was wasteful spending, and she nixed it. but then again i don't see how the governor can get back and forth across alaska without a plane. alaska is absolutely massive.

22. bartelby macrumors Core

Isn't that all politicians though?

23. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Not really. The point is that she's trying to talk tough, but her bark is much louder than her bite.

24. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

To be fair to Sarah Palin, she doesn't actually have to put any thought into the Iraq war since it's "gods plan".