Sheesh I never realized how slow Sprint is.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Oct 7, 2012.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I've seen multiple speed tests now on 5 bars of sprint lte that only reached up in the low 20's. Thats like 2 bars of verizon lte. Come on sprint, you're losing again, what good is unlimited data if you have nothing to try it on? I do realize the speed is mostly symbolic and that it doesn't really matter if its 10mbps or 50mbps when loading a simple web page but still Sprint you have the slowest LTE AND the least cell towers.

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Unlimited sprint data 20mbps >>>> tiered lte data plans on ATT and verizon by far. I don't really understand why you're obsessing over a number when it all becomes irrelevant past a certain speed.

3. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

I'll agree that Sprints 3G data speeds are abysmal and suck but 20 Mbps download speeds with unlimited data is far more useful than capped 50 Mbps plans.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Dude, LlTE speeds vary greatly. I'm on AT&T and sometimes when I do speed tests I get 45mbps and other times I get less than 10mbps, what you see posted are people's max. 20 Mbps is nothing to scoff at, and the most important thing is how fast you phone feels in real world use. As long as your websites load very fast, have no buffering when streaming audio or video, and send pictures or videos without delay, than what does it matter what the speed test says at a particular moment in time?

5. tl01 macrumors 65816

20 is great... What are you complaining about? Is this the biggest issue in your world! What sort of speed do you need on your phone?

Besides.. Bars have nothing to do with speed.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unless you plan on using your iPhone 5 connection as a tethered router to replace a home connection (something I think Sprint frowns upon anyway, even if it is unlimited), you probably won't notice the difference.

Just feel lucky you have actual, real LTE with Sprint. Sprint LTE coverage is still far behind, and even in the areas they claim to have coverage, a lot of it is heavily exaggerated on their maps, by as much as 75-90%.

To me, that's the REAL reason to avoid Sprint. Coupled with the fact that their 3G is terrible.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey at least you have Sprint LTE available.
    Not many can say that.

8. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

This.

I get 40-50 on my Verizon LTE, but I would gladly trade it for 20mbps of unlimited.

But since I don't pick the carrier.......

9. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

lol, I only get about 2-3 megs on my 4S. Have fun with 20 megs. Hell, my Comcast puts out 20-25. Do you need more than 20 megs?? Do want 100 megs? :rolleyes:

I tell you, people nowadays are spoiled and just want more. Be happy with what you have. Live life, stop complaining. YOLO.

10. kevindosi macrumors regular

On Sprint in Houston, I'm getting as low as 2 down and as high as 16. Once I get into my neighborhood, though, I lose LTE. In other words, it's crap.

11. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Sprint LTE is so few and spread out. Then you get reverted back to their 3G speeds and from what I've heard about it it is also terrible. I don't know if they even have LTE in my area since it's not a big city but I know Verizon and AT&T have it.
    Like I said, with no speed to use unlimited data on whats the point? Most people dont even go above 2gb anyway.

12. darster Suspended

On a good day I get 20 Mbs dl speeds with Verizon and thats with 5 bars. At home with 2 bars, less than 10 Mbs DL speeds.

13. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

I used to get dial up 3G speeds and 2MB Wimax speeds when I could actually find it.
    Be very happy you have even usable level of Data on Sprint. Many people are without that unless they changed something in the last year.

14. Ran7 macrumors regular

Losing again? Sprint was first with digital pcs, first with 2g, 3g and 4g. the first 4g ended up not becoming the standard so for the first time in 15 years it is behind a bit. People who have had sprint those years have simply had more speed and more advanced technology for way less moeny for years upon years.
    In my town Sprint LTE is doing as well as Verizon and it is unlimited.

I have been tethering on sprint to work with my laptop at a local park one weekends, using easily 5gb a month for years and years without a peep from sprint. Id have spent 3x the money for that on verizon.

Your whole opening of "just 20" sets you up for loss of credibility since above that you would only appreciate if tethering making it a moot point for data limit plans.

I dont get people getting iphones or any new LTE device outside of the 50 metro areas not on or on short list for sprint LTE, but your eniire premise is off base.

15. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Sprint uses 5x5 channels, as opposed to Verizon who uses 20x20 I believe. So yes, data can potentially be faster.

20Mbps w/ Unlimited is FAR BETTER than 45Mbps w/ 2GB of tiered data on Verizon. PERIOD. My friends Galaxy Nexus only pulls 10-15Mbps here in Los Angeles on Verizon, so it all depends where you are as well. You wont even notice the difference between the two on your phone.

16. Johnnygogo macrumors member

Seriously? I'm in Chicago where lte is still rolling out and my phone is super fast. Even in the burbs. I stream pandora for hrs a day (bike riding to and from work and at the gym) and I would never be able to on any other network. I love sprint and the 110 bucks I pay a month for 2 iPhones. I don't get the complaints. This thing is awesome and so is their customer service. Been with them for 12 yrs.

17. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I've been with Sprint now for several years and prefer the unlimited data option, despite the somewhat slower data speeds than other networks. How fast do you really need your speed to be? :rolleyes:

18. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I'm saying if you're going to advertise 4G you should have more than a few markets to back it up on. If they're going to be first with all these new generations then they should have it in more than a handful of towns. Maybe follow Verizon's aggresive deployment strategy. I can handle 20mbps that doesn't mean much but I want it almost everywhere. I travel alot and I want to be able to have service in buildings and fast enough that I don't have to toggle lte on and off to see if I can even get 1 bar of 4g.

19. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Really? My lte speeds on Verizon in Michigan hover around 10-15 mpbs. Never saw anything that fast. My lte is still faster then my home Internet so no complaining. Can the speed improve as lte increases?

20. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

it depends on how many people are connected and how far you are from it. In a server based in sayreville when I was driving through there my speeds were around 45mbps on one test. At home on 2 bars I am around 10-25mbps, my home wifi is around 16-18. So yeah it doesn't really matter that much if I'm on Wifi or lte, btw this is Verizon in piscataway nj, in some parts my speeds reach up to 60.

21. Ran7 macrumors regular

what are you going on about? read what other people write. I said Sprint was first with a digital network, first with 2g, first with 3g and first with 4g wimax. those were ALL nationwide and certainly much larger and broader networks than when ATT and Verizon started claiming the same.

LTE is a different subject. Sprint isnt advertising nationwide LTE. You are setting up a classic strawman. You are imagining a claim and then attacking it.

people in Sprint areas thad do have LTE are getting excellent LTE speeds, are using it unlimited, and paying less.

Go to the verizon forums, there are many huge threads were people are getting dog slow LTE. horrible to no building penetration and extremely spotty coverage in claimed areas.

If you are paying a premium you are much better off on ATT

Again an ignorant statement. No company has been a more aggressive deployer than Sprint. In this one case because they already had a nationwide 4G network, LTE buildup has been less of a priority.

Verizon has bene behind and SLOW to deploy in all generations of technology. How is sprint supposed to follow Verizons "aggressive" deployment when Verizon has been historically much slower to deploy except int he case of oen out the past five rollouts?

Verizon also invented the wall garden. they lead the world in having handset makers remove features other enjoy on the same handsets.

22. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

At this point, I'd trade it for 10mbps...

23. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Well whatever Verizon is doing it's been working. Where are these slow lte speeds? The slowest lte i got was around 9mbps. That is for most of new jersey. Now I can't say the same for Verizon's 3g network, there at&t has them beat. AT&T used to be my primary carrier for my past iPhone

24. Ran7, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

Ran7 macrumors regular

There are quite a few threads on Vz user groups.
    There is not doubt Sprint is behind, and I have consitantly said if you are not in a deployed or short listed in the next delpoyment Sprint area you should strongly consider going with VZ or ATT or at least staying out of contract with Sprint. At the same time the implication that people on VZ have not LTE issues is absurd. They do and a scan of threads on user boards shows this.

I was responding to the assertion in Sprint LTE areas have issues and VZ do not, when this is not true. There are equal issues in Vz LTE areas compared to Sprint LTE areas. I have a sprint iphone 5 in an LTE deployd area. I am not getting LTE in an office I work in one day a week, but a collegue in the same ofice on VZ is getting zero LTE pentration there as well. He is complaining about high variablity in good and bad speeds on the street as well, where i consitantly get better LTE speeds on Sprint vs his on Vz