Sheriff Clarke Charges President Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 31, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://gma.yahoo.com/suspect-alleg...as-deputy-161827999--abc-news-topstories.html

things are not pretty right now...........

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No, things are pretty goddamn stupid all around.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And how does this call for "open season on LEOs?"

IIRC, the POTUS himself showed up at State Sen. Pinckney's funeral.

So I'm not sure where you are going with this.

BL.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You need to look at this from another perspective. I'm not saying this is JK's stance on it exactly, but this is the usual narrative.

What did Trayvon Martin (...if I had a son) and Senator Pinckney have in common?

They were both black.

When was the last time Obama showed up after a tragedy involving a cop or a white person?

I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Therefore, Obama is a racist who supports thugs like Trayvon Martin, and only comes to the aid of other black people. By extension, he doesn't care about white people, and his inaction means he endorses the slaughter of police officers.

Cuz comeon, let's face the facts here. Obama didn't show up here in Chattanooga when 5 of our military got shot by a Muslim terrorist (he sent Biden instead). Ergo, he's a Muslim apologist at best, an Islamic terrorism sympathizer at worst.

Silence ALWAYS means approval. Always. Supporting groups like BLM means, by extension, you don't care about anyone else. Welcome to a world viewed through a black and white lens.

6. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I think you've taken it to the extreme. I don't believe that Obama "doesn't care about white people" or that "he's a Muslim apologist". I believe he lacks leadership on some of these events that are having a profound impact on all of us. Obama needs to remember that he is the President of all U.S. citizens, not just the black ones. He acts like he's on a civil rights crusade with some of the things he says or does and that's not his role, or at least shouldn't be. Regardless of what message he is trying to send, the wrong one is being received.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Either way, it still doesn't fit the narrative that it is "open season on LEOs". so whatever thi srhetoric is trying to accomplish, it's doing more to promote fanaticism than anything.

What I'd like to know is for the LEO in the video clip.. I wonder if he went to see Do The Right Thing when it came out in the theaters, or actually kept the peace when the LA riots were amuck (not that he had to be in Los Angeles). Because right now, he's fighting the crazy battle, and isn't sounding too good with it.

BL.

8. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I'm not a LEO but I can understand why some would be a little worried about their own safety based on the recent execution style killings of LEOs. And I can certainly understand why a few would be upset with the leadership response starting with Obama.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't agree with this 100%, but it is a much, much better argument than most I've seen.

Though to give benefit of the doubt, maybe I've been spending too much time on Facebook recently, and I've started replying to some people in a way that's based off the stupid crap I've been reading there.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

jumping the gun & showing support for criminals does not send the greatest message out there. will Obama send anyone to the funeral of the cop? that remains to be seen, so far the man has done more to divide the people instead of acting like an actual leader. the Virginia shooter & the cop killer were also black, not his sons in this case?

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the internet is serious business :D

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

wish my English was anywhere near this good. nice post.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Trayvon Martin is a sore spot for everyone. Most people on the right tend to think he was a criminal who got what he deserved. On the left, an innocent kid walking home, who ended up losing his life simply because he looked suspicious. The simple fact is anything could've gone down that could've painted both parties as guilty, and no one will ever know exactly what happened.

Obama probably got too emotionally involved, and jumped the gun by declaring his support on the issue. But that's a far cry from saying he supports criminals.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

TM was a KID, a stupid one like plenty of other kids, with him AND MB Obama decided to spout off BEFORE all the facts were in.

where is the support for the cops? maybe it's time for Obama to show them some support or to completely ****.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If I remember correctly, he did send a representative to the funeral of Officer Kerrie Orozco when she was gunned down the last day of her duty before going out on maternity leave. Various dignitaries from Congress and state were there, but I'll find the link where it was mentioned.

BTW: the shooter was black.

BL.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

from your link

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There's another link I am looking for, as those were not the only people from the State and federal government that were there.

I know this, because my father (retired LEO in Omaha) also attended the funeral.

BL.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Considering the outcry surrounding it, and the surface evidence, it does seem something worth speaking up about. And since we'll never have the all facts, all we can rely on are our personal opinions on the subject.

Was he an innocent kid walking home from the store who ended up getting accosted and shot by a trigger happy cop wannabe because of the way he looked?

Or was he a violent little thug who picked the wrong fight with the wrong person, and took a bullet for his stupidity?

You couldn't make up a scenario that'd better hue right down political lines.

Bradl already posted one. There's been plenty of other times he's spoken out about violence against police as well. Does he have to attend every funeral, speak in person at every single tragedy, before people will drop this BS line of thinking?

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks for the link. fixed your post. and BOTH seem to apply.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Sure.

But at least part of the problem is the culture of law enforcement that seems to excuse - if not necessarily condone - fatal violence against frequently unarmed suspects.

Cops can point the finger at President Obama; or Black Lives Matter; or the mainstream media all they want. But the reality is its extremely unlikely we'd be having this discussion at all if the cops in this country weren't regularly killing unarmed suspects. And walking away pretty much scot-free.

Every time a cop "gets away" with the death of an unarmed suspect; they - and the rest of the law enforcement community - need to accept the fact that they've essentially made life just that little bit more hazardous for every other cop out there.

That in no way excuses or condones any form of violence against police officers. But it seems foolish to blame politicians or non-violent political movements, when the root cause lies a lot closer to home.

21. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I get what you're saying but for clarity sake, a person does not have to be armed to warrant deadly force used against them. (And by armed I assume you mean a gun)

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Yeah, it can often mean the suspect was reaching for a gun. That didn't actually exist.

Which, in essence, means literally anybody becomes lawful prey for legalized police killings. I've reached for things, in a glove box or a back pocket. It means pretty much any encounter with the police becomes quite literally a life-or-death situation. Even if I am completely unarmed, and am completely innocent of any crime.

Even in the best, least force-centric societies, tragic accidents and mistakes happen during routine police interactions. But the rate with which they seem to occur in the United States seems all out of proportion with the rest of the world.

23. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

That's why you're better off following commands, like keep your hands where the officer can see them. Cops don't have the luxury of assuming you're unarmed and since they don't know what your intentions are, why do anything that can cause an officer to assume the worst? Sure, some cops are a bit trigger happy but I can't imagine a worse feeling for a cop than gunning down someone that you thought might be armed with the intention of harming you but turned out not to be.

24. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

With the elephant in the room being the 200 million firearms in civilian hands in this country. And widespread laws making it legal for civilians to carry them pretty much anywhere. Under those circumstances, a certain level of police wariness is perhaps understandable.

I in no way condone violence against police officers. But IMHO blaming Obama or BLM for police shootings is nonsense. And it is, again IMHO, indicative of the basic problem many law enforcement officers and officials have: A stunning lack of awareness as to how their actions impact the people they are supposed to protect.