Sheriff Joe—Don't Mess with Old Glory

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Sheriff Joe Arpaio is at it again. This time he's the self-appointed protector of patriotism—putting inmates on "bread [nutriloaf] and water" for "desecrating" the flag.

(CNN) -- A diet of bread and water is the punishment for dozens of Arizona inmates who allegedly defaced American flags placed in their jail cells.

The 38 male inmates are part of the Maricopa County jail system, which is under the control of controversial sheriff Joe Arpaio.

For their alleged unpatriotic acts, the sheriff said Thursday, they'll survive on bread and water for seven days.

"These inmates have destroyed the American flag that was placed in their cells," Arpaio said. "Tearing them, writing on them, stepping on them, throwing them in the toilet, trash or wherever they feel. It's a disgrace ... this is government property that they are destroying, and we will take action against those who act this way."

The flags are part of a push for patriotism in county jail cells that includes listening to the "Star-Spangled Banner" every morning and "God Bless America" every night over the intercom system.

Arpaio implemented the American flag jailhouse initiative in November.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/24/justice/arizona-inmates-bread-water/
So Arpaio decided to shove a little patriotism down the throats of his prisoners and then retaliates when they don't snap back in salute?

I guess the prisoners should count their blessings that he hasn't turned the system into Abu Ghraib.

Yet.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I think he's trying to slim these imates down so they can be supermodels. Soon he'll be requiring imates to prance around in pink thongs and heels.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Joe Arpaio is Exhibit One A in the case: Why Electing Criminal Justice Officials is a Terrible Idea.

Any way you look at it, Joe Arpaio's management of the county jail system looks more like institutionalized sadism rather than anything else. The vile food; pink garments; tents; etc. smack not of effective corrections policy - but of a pandering wink to the collective bloodlust of old white people.

Lets remember that many of the people in the county jail are awaiting trial - i.e.. they have not yet been convicted of a crime. And some of those people are in jail on immigration charges.

Imagine the irony of someone about to face months, if not years of punishment for simply wishing to live and work in the United States being subjected to Sherrif Joe's faux-patriotic propaganda.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Any way you look at it, Joe Arpaio's management of the county jail system looks more like institutionalized sadism rather than anything else. The vile food; pink garments; tents; etc. smack not of effective corrections policy - but of a pandering wink to the collective bloodlust of old white people.
I'm curious where the line is and when the state or feds would step in and intervene. There must be certain standards for treating inmates.

I found this ...

PRISONS AND PRISONER'S RIGHTS: AN OVERVIEW

Federal and state laws govern the establishment and administration of prisons as well as the rights of the inmates. Although prisoners do not have full Constitutional rights, they are protected by the Constitution's prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment (see Amendment VIII).

This protection requires that prisoners be afforded a minimum standard of living.

Prisoners are protected against unequal treatment on the basis of race, sex, and creed.

The Model Sentencing and Corrections Act provides that a confined person has a protected interest in freedom from discrimination on the basis of race, religion, national origin, or sex.

Prisoners also have limited rights to speech and religion.

Courts tend to give deference to prison officials regarding prisoners' rights. So long as the conditions or degree of a prisoner's confinement are within the sentence and not otherwise violative of the Constitution, the due process clause does not require judicial oversight. For prison regulations that do impinge on inmates' constitutional rights, the strict scrutiny test does not apply. Rather, the rational relationship test is used (the lowest level of judicial scrutiny -- the test is whether there is a rational relation to a legitimate state interest).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/prisoners_rights
Looks like there's little standing in the way of Sheriff Arpaio and his sadistic tendencies.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I love Joe. He's not influenced by petty politicians, just a good American patriot and is willing to do what most don't.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I love Joe. He's not influenced by petty politicians, just a good American patriot and is willing to do what most don't.
If you're serious, I think you and I are the only ones who love him.

I think we need a Sheriff Joe in every county in America.
If these two posts are serious, then imposing the personal beliefs of an individual involuntarily upon those unable to resist has a rotten totalitarian smell to it...and no semblance of the rule of law.

And to be a trifle more direct...I find the sentiments expressed in the posts, and the behavior of the moron Sheriff, repellant, appalling, and frighteningly dangerous.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They aren't going to die on bread and water, I think prisoners are treated too well in this country. In general prisoners should be treated like their victims were treated.
You can't do that, that is inhumane. Only their victims are allowed to feel pain.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Now to be fair, most of those people in prison are for petty theft or a minor drug charge, they should not be there to begin with. Prison should be saved for the really dangerous criminals.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Obviously this post misses the point entirely. It's not the time involved, it is the dictatorial behavior of the Sheriff.

It's very easy to be casual about someone else's life...
I think the Sheriff has the right idea, he just takes it too far. Prison should not be like a resort.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Don't desecrate the flag...see how easy that is.

Do your time, get out, rebuild your life best you can.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
The problem with the entire issue, is that the article states that the prisoners are "alleged" to have. In other words, we have no idea what actually happened. Methinks this is simply Arpaio looking for some positive press. For all we know, the flag was placed on the wall behind the toilet and someone splattered it when they took a leak.

I have no faith in Arpaio and I'll never set foot in Arizona while he remains in office.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
The problem with the entire issue, is that the article states that the prisoners are "alleged" to have.
Speaking of alleged... I think we need to keep in mind that this is taking place at a county jail, not a prison. County jails are typically used to house people waiting for their day in court (which can take as long as a couple of years) so that means these people are innocent. Unless, of course, you follow the un-American mindset of guilty until proven innocent which I hear was popular with the godless communists back in the day:rolleyes:.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Speaking of alleged... I think we need to keep in mind that this is taking place at a county jail, not a prison. County jails are typically used to house people waiting for their day in court (which can take as long as a couple of years) so that means these people are innocent. Unless, of course, you follow the un-American mindset of guilty until proven innocent which I hear was popular with the godless communists back in the day:rolleyes:.
What you are saying doesn't make sense.

The punishment is not the result of the charge or conviction, or sentence, but an action taken that is against facility rules.

All prisons and jails have house rules with stiff punishments. In this case, not running afoul of house rules is really easy. Don't want bread and water, don't desecrate flags. It's not like inmates are randomly selected and punished for "fun".

Renzatic

Suspended
I think the Sheriff has the right idea, he just takes it too far. Prison should not be like a resort.
If you think prisons are a resort, why don't you go out, commit a felony, then get shipped off to your HBO and three square meals a day?

The biggest problem with prisons these days is that they're more focused on punishment, and less on rehabilitation. Barring some incredibly heinous crimes, most people should go in, pay their debt to society, make them learn a skill or two while they're there, then get shipped out as hopefully productive members of society. The whole system should be built around making sure people never go back.

No, prisons shouldn't be easy, and it should always have a reputation as a place you really, really don't want to go. But that doesn't mean you should be subjecting people to subhuman treatment and conditions, either.