Sheriff Joe—Don't Mess with Old Glory

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Jan 24, 2014.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is at it again. This time he's the self-appointed protector of patriotism—putting inmates on "bread [nutriloaf] and water" for "desecrating" the flag.

So Arpaio decided to shove a little patriotism down the throats of his prisoners and then retaliates when they don't snap back in salute?

I guess the prisoners should count their blessings that he hasn't turned the system into Abu Ghraib.

Yet.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I think he's trying to slim these imates down so they can be supermodels. Soon he'll be requiring imates to prance around in pink thongs and heels.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Joe Arpaio is Exhibit One A in the case: Why Electing Criminal Justice Officials is a Terrible Idea.

Any way you look at it, Joe Arpaio's management of the county jail system looks more like institutionalized sadism rather than anything else. The vile food; pink garments; tents; etc. smack not of effective corrections policy - but of a pandering wink to the collective bloodlust of old white people.

Lets remember that many of the people in the county jail are awaiting trial - i.e.. they have not yet been convicted of a crime. And some of those people are in jail on immigration charges.

Imagine the irony of someone about to face months, if not years of punishment for simply wishing to live and work in the United States being subjected to Sherrif Joe's faux-patriotic propaganda.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Joe Arpaio represents much of what is wrong with the US.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Why on earth is an officer of the law doing putting American flags at risk? Stooopid.

6. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm curious where the line is and when the state or feds would step in and intervene. There must be certain standards for treating inmates.

I found this ...

Looks like there's little standing in the way of Sheriff Arpaio and his sadistic tendencies.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Music, ugly (to them) images??

What next, toothpicks?

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No, they can make those into weapons.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sheriff Moe seems to be giving them plenty of those at the moment.

10. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I love Joe. He's not influenced by petty politicians, just a good American patriot and is willing to do what most don't.

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

If you're serious, I think you and I are the only ones who love him.

I think we need a Sheriff Joe in every county in America.

12. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

What aspect of his treatment of prisoners do you find so appealing?

Please specify.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If these two posts are serious, then imposing the personal beliefs of an individual involuntarily upon those unable to resist has a rotten totalitarian smell to it...and no semblance of the rule of law.

And to be a trifle more direct...I find the sentiments expressed in the posts, and the behavior of the moron Sheriff, repellant, appalling, and frighteningly dangerous.

14. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

They aren't going to die on bread and water, I think prisoners are treated too well in this country. In general prisoners should be treated like their victims were treated.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You can't do that, that is inhumane. Only their victims are allowed to feel pain.

16. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I know criminals need to be pampered.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Now to be fair, most of those people in prison are for petty theft or a minor drug charge, they should not be there to begin with. Prison should be saved for the really dangerous criminals.

18. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

If so I guess they won't be in there for very long then. I think they'll manage.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Obviously this post misses the point entirely. It's not the time involved, it is the dictatorial behavior of the Sheriff.

It's very easy to be casual about someone else's life...

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the Sheriff has the right idea, he just takes it too far. Prison should not be like a resort.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Don't desecrate the flag...see how easy that is.

Do your time, get out, rebuild your life best you can.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The problem with the entire issue, is that the article states that the prisoners are "alleged" to have. In other words, we have no idea what actually happened. Methinks this is simply Arpaio looking for some positive press. For all we know, the flag was placed on the wall behind the toilet and someone splattered it when they took a leak.

I have no faith in Arpaio and I'll never set foot in Arizona while he remains in office.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Speaking of alleged... I think we need to keep in mind that this is taking place at a county jail, not a prison. County jails are typically used to house people waiting for their day in court (which can take as long as a couple of years) so that means these people are innocent. Unless, of course, you follow the un-American mindset of guilty until proven innocent which I hear was popular with the godless communists back in the day:rolleyes:.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

What you are saying doesn't make sense.

The punishment is not the result of the charge or conviction, or sentence, but an action taken that is against facility rules.

All prisons and jails have house rules with stiff punishments. In this case, not running afoul of house rules is really easy. Don't want bread and water, don't desecrate flags. It's not like inmates are randomly selected and punished for "fun".

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If you think prisons are a resort, why don't you go out, commit a felony, then get shipped off to your HBO and three square meals a day?

The biggest problem with prisons these days is that they're more focused on punishment, and less on rehabilitation. Barring some incredibly heinous crimes, most people should go in, pay their debt to society, make them learn a skill or two while they're there, then get shipped out as hopefully productive members of society. The whole system should be built around making sure people never go back.

No, prisons shouldn't be easy, and it should always have a reputation as a place you really, really don't want to go. But that doesn't mean you should be subjecting people to subhuman treatment and conditions, either.