Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I guess Apple's mucking around with the sherlock servers.

arn

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
As far a I can tell at Panther, even post WWDC preview versions, Sherlock has not had much attention. For all the bashing it got for mimicking Watson, it hasn't actually added up to any major comptetition in the field as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not a Watson user, but Sherlock is simply ****e, and I never use it. Havent since the Pre X days, and it's gonna have to get alot smarter if I'm ever gonna start.
Apple, I'm a convert waiting to happen, it's yours for the making. Do please try and do someting useful with Sherlock for once....

MacBandit

macrumors 604
The big advantage is the new versions of Sherlock allow easy creation of plugins for it like the OS9 days. Apparently Watson is a pain to write for. If you don't use sherlock now you would if you did a search for plugins. I bet you would find a bunch of things you didn't know existed that allow you easy access to searches right from the finder.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but in the first developer preview release of Panther (the one available immediately after WWDC), Sherlock was preloaded with a ton of 3rd party channels, including some internationally localized channels (in England and Japan I think). Does anyone know if they are still there in the newest builds of Panther?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I tried this, and it didn't require me to restart Sherlock. After a moment giving me the 'must upgrade' message, it cleared the screen and loaded everything just fine. Also, is it my imagination, or is Sherlock actually running a little faster all of a sudden?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
As a US user, I love Sherlock. Not for multi-engine Web searches anymore (just build that into Safari and as a system Service please), but for movies and yellow pages.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
When I first upgraded to Jaguar, I used Sherlock all the time...but after a while I decided it was easier to use the websites than the plugins and I haven't used sherlock since. If they could make it faster or something, well, maybe I'll go back to it, but for now, It's lost it's place in my dock.

Also: I wonder if this means that sherlock will stop working when 10.3 comes out.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Sure is, I think the best thing us Australians have is the flights channel, It shows flights that go through Sydney Airport

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I use sherlock occationally. It's in my dock because I find it useful. Good to have for movies, tracking my girlfriend's plane when she comes to visit, translations were a god send when I was taking spanish, ebay.... All I want is for it to be faster.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I use Sherlock on OS 9 and it is seriously one awesome program, if it's true that Sherlock isn't as powerful on OS X, I will be upset when I upgrade to OS X later when I get my new PowerBook.

Chealion

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Sherlock? What's Sherlock ;)

Never used it since they didn't require Sherlock for file searching. It got pretty annoying in OS 9 with it getting rather large considering you only just wanted to find a file...

I echo the sentiment of it being next to useless outside of the U.S., but with my experience with Watson, so was Watson. Personally I've never found a reason to use Sherlock, except when it first debuted in 8.5 (asking real questions was great), but once you know how to search Google properly, no need for Sherlock.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
well, i hope they do something god with sherlock. it's slow and has no plugins like the OS 9 version. OS 9 version owns all.

Actually with Jaguar Sherlock is completely open to 3rd party plug-ins again and there are tons upon tons of them.

Also there are country localized plug-ins.

Here are some sites.

http://mac.iconet.com.br/sherlockplugins.html

http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~prillih3/software/

http://mac.tucows.easynet.nl/general_sherlock-plug_default.html

http://mac.excaliburworld.com/sherlock.html

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
And I thought I was the only one who saw Sherlock as slower than a turd on a block of ice.

(wipes brow).

Guess I'm not alone on that one!

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by bikertwin
None of you guys use Sherlock for Apple Care searches?
I can't say I do. The only problem I ever had that (almost) required AppleCare was when I installed some RAM we had lying around in the basement... I tried putting it into this old iMac DV so it would have enough to run OS X (It had 64, and I had a 64 lying around). Apparently, if the RAM has been sitting in an open static bag (you know, those bags that prevent static electricity) for 3 years, it doesn't always work properly. When I installed it, the machine started up with this weird reddish glow over the monitor and the mouse was mirrored on two other places on the screen :lol: I promptly ordered a cheap 64 MB module off of eBay for 20 dollars, and it now serves as a web server without a web page.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by bikertwin
None of you guys use Sherlock for Apple Care searches?

I do frequently to answer questions people have on these boards. It's funny how people don't know of or don't use all there resources before asking someone else for help. Oh, well that's why I and others are here.

Sherlock 3 doesn't run any slower on my Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac then Sherlock 2 did on my B/W G3 400. It helps to have a fast internet connection also as Sherlock accesses data off the net each time you start it up and select a new channel. The new Sherlock is suppose to be really fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.