SHES here now what? monitor connection help.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by frankbuddas, Sep 14, 2010.

1. frankbuddas macrumors newbie

:D:D MY new macpro just arrived!!! Im a bit confused on the monitor input. I have the radeon hd 5870 it has two mini dv ports and a digital? I need to grab some monitors but how do Iconnect the mini dvs to hd tv? theres no mini dv on my HD tvs? HELP:confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. cnstoll macrumors 6502

4. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

:D:D

Thanks guys. So I need to buy a minidv to hdmi adaptor to user my two 46 inch 1080p tvs? Can I set up 3 monitors with this card? I want the best possible quality.

5. cnstoll macrumors 6502

There's another thread about monitors with the graphics card you've got further down the list.

Apparently in order to use three DVI monitors you have to use two Mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI adapters instead of just Mini Displayport to DVI adapters. The reason has something to do with the internals of the card and how running three monitors works.

I don't remember the specifics, but you should read through that and see if anyone has tried this using HDMI adapters... It may not apply to your case. But if it is, you may have to buy some slightly more expensive adapters to make it work.

6. cnstoll macrumors 6502

Bingo: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3477

That would lead me to believe that you can either run two HDMI monitors, or one HDMI monitor and two other monitors. It doesn't sound like two HDMI and one other or three HDMI will work.

The low-end adapters are only like 5 bucks though, so if you have the monitors available it wouldn't hurt to try it.

7. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to get ahold of some adapters. I at least want to connect them to my two 46 inch samsung HD TVS SO i need some sort of mini display to HDMI or somthing hopefully best buy will have something.

8. goMac macrumors 603

a) I doubt Best Buy would have that adaptor.
    b) Never buy cables from Best Buy. Ever. Worst place to buy cables from. They will totally overcharge you.
    c) The Apple store would be a far better place to look. I know I've picked up DVI-HDMI cables there, for very reasonable prices.

9. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

10. Schismz macrumors regular

11. goMac macrumors 603

12. Vylen macrumors 65816

Good luck finding a <adjective> <noun> at <proper noun>.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

13. cjt3007 macrumors member

cjt3007

No, you need to buy a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor.