Shiny drive enclosure

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I've been jumping around the forums looking for anyone else who may have noticed this... the case around the drives on one of the "up close" pictures of the new box has a chrome finish (I'm trying to attach a shot I got of it).

Is this a premie version of the case that didn't happen? Or maybe a glimpse of things to come?

Attachments

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I noticed that as well, maybe the surround is chrome, and the doors are dull??

I want to see one in the flesh though..... even though I'm still not sure about the way it looks in pictures...... I figure it's one of those things that people will get used to it.... although I'm not sure if it will ever be loved except by a minority......

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
not just a ring

looking at the picture that I posted (not yours - I agree with you on your picture...) the entire plate is chromed.

This picture points it out a little better - I got this off the apple.com/powermac page

Attachments

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
looks all crome in the small pic hmmmm... on another note is the case white/whitegrey or jsut the same color as b4?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
it's one of the only touches i really like on the new industrial design of the new enclosure

but i wish it (optical drives) was more near the top with the speakers in the middle or at the bottom

but that is just my bias on the design

i don't like the four entrenched "whatcha-ma-callits" near the bottom...what are they?"

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
another view

If you do the quicktime VR look at the case, it's pretty obvious that the bay fronts are chromed.

Does this mean that the new kids in the industrial design department need vanity mirrors when rendering?:D

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Re: Shiny drive enclosure

Originally posted by Mudbug
I've been jumping around the forums looking for anyone else who may have noticed this... the case around the drives on one of the "up close" pictures of the new box has a chrome finish (I'm trying to attach a shot I got of it).
ya know what, I wish they'd made the metal drive section taller and given us a hotswap drivebay (possibly sharing the mechanism they use for the Xserve)..