Shipping and activation question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cytospin, Oct 6, 2013.

1. cytospin macrumors newbie

Currently have two 4S's with Sprint. Our contract ends today and we are going to switch to Verizon. (Sprint's coverage and data appears to have actually gotten worse here)

If I order phones from Apple (and assuming they get here before the beginning of November), will I be able to port our numbers to Verizon if we wait to activate until the end of the month? Or will they activate right when we receive them?

We would likely stay on the 4S's until the end of the month so we aren't double paying for mobile plans this month.

Thanks!

2. trek360 macrumors 6502

I haven't switched carriers in a long time but I believe when you order thru Apple there is a question about renewing your contract or starting a new contract. Since you are starting a new contract with verizon, there will be an option to select the plan you would like for phone and data. When the phone arrives you do the activation (your contract starts though from the date of the order). This will also probably mean you will be given a new number and then will need to port your number from Sprint thereafter. It is important not to cancel your contract with sprint until you complete the port. I did this from Sprint to ATT many years ago with the original iphone and it wasn't a big deal.

Short answer:
    You should definitely talk to Verizon and Sprint to confirm the process so you get everything set up correctly and keep your number. The process will vary if you are planning to buy an unlocked version at full price vs a subsidized phone on contract.