Shipping dates are 1 to 2 weeks.. Apple out of stock?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seadragon, Apr 9, 2012.

1. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Just noticed that the online Apple store is showing 1 to 2 week shipping times now. Have they blown through the pre-launch stock? The shelves are all empty at my local retailers too.

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Two out of the three Apple stores near me have most models in stock.

3. VFC macrumors 6502a

Probably due to the retina screen yield rate problem. The good news is the next batch should be better quality. Hopefully they will also incorporate a Wifi fix.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/09/1000-...arned-in-asia-on-the-next-iphone/#more-159194

"During our meetings, we walked away with the impression that production of Apple’s new iPad would have been higher during the March quarter if not for yield issues at panel makers driven by the new retina display that created a bottleneck in the supply chain. However, we believe the issue has largely been resolved and this should have an incrementally positive impact on the June quarter."

http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/04/apple...lecare-to-replace-affected-units/#more-158125

"According to an internal AppleCare document, Apple is actively investigating a series of WiFi-related issues affecting the third-generation iPad. Since the new iPad’s launch, many users have been complaining about third-generation iPad WiFi issues ranging from connection drops, slow download and upload speeds, or the device’s inability to even pickup local WiFi networks. A thread discussing the issue exists on Apple’s online support forums has almost amassed 700 replies from users with similar issues. Here are some examples from the forum thread"

4. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

I hope so!

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't know why Apple doesn't just eliminate the wifi only version altogether. You don't need to get a data plan, and this issue never seems to happen to the cellular models--probably because they incorporate a plastic strip that the wifi signal can pass through.

There are also countless threads of people who regret getting the wifi version and end up returning or selling them.

6. Primus84 macrumors 6502

How about cost?!

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Since I'm King I'll make it the same cost. Happy? :)

8. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

I still don't understand how the plastic strip makes a difference for wifi since the wifi antennas are near the speaker grille for both models.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

I thought the Wi-Fi antenna is located where the Apple logo is.

10. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

That's where it was on the original iPad. But, for the iPad 2 and 3, it was moved to the area behind the speaker grille, hence the "death grip" issue now.

11. pixelshaders macrumors member

My online order for black 32G wifi changed to Preparing for Shipment today. And I also check the in store pickup option in online store found out that 2 apple store in WA and a bunch of store in CA have it(32G black wifi) in stock. Which was shown unavailable before.

Seems apple has a large ipad shipment available today.

12. seadragon thread starter Contributor

seadragon

Long live the King! :)

13. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

I've noticed it as well. Here in the Netherlands, shipping dates are also 1-2 weeks. It used to be 1-2 business days before, I guess.
    I am curious to know what might be causing this. Apple fixing screen/battery issues? Hmmm...

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

They would have plenty of stock but some are returning their iPads 5, 6 and 7 times!:p

15. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Yep. That's it!