Shirley Sherrod and the story of real NAACP Bigotry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Jul 21, 2010.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Oh boy, the media sure messed this one up:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/21/shirley-sherrod-defended_n_653747.html

Just like on the liberal HuffPo, NBC and almost every other news organization I've seen (except for FOX) is missing the real story here. Like Glenn Beck pointed out, it wasn't Shirley's statements that were representative of racism (context matters, she was talking about a change in her life from former racism to a realization that race didn't matter).

The real racism came from the NAACP crowd she was speaking to who, before they knew the punch line, before they knew the story was about how she found racism against 'white farmers' was bad, they were applauding, laughing, seemingly happy that she had discriminated against the white farmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_xCeItxbQY&feature=player_embedded

How ironic since the NAACP has been accusing the tea party all last week of racism with virtually no evidence and the main excuse they use (the alleged calling of a congressman '******') was proven to be false thanks to 6 or more cameras filming the 'event' and no such words were exchanged. A conservative activist, Andrew Brietbart even offered 100,000 dollars to anyone that could prove it (should be easy with that many cameras around) but it couldn't be done. So, ironic that that week where NAACP was accusing others of racism, that obvious and clear evidence of intense bigotry within their own ranks was revealed.

Bottom line... in any big group, there will be bigots of some kind. Are there racists in the Tea Party? Sure. Are there racists in the LGBT organizations? Sure. Are there racists in the Democrat party. Sure. Does this mean these organizations are bigoted, no. However, when an organization focuses primarily on race, people join that organization because of race, one of the most evil forms of groupism, it's far more likely that the organization becomes so enveloped in racism that the organization itself becomes racist. Clearly this is what has happened at the NAACP. From attacking the tea party, to ignoring the Black Panther case, to videos like these demonstrating clear willingness to accept black on white racism... it seems quite clear that the NAACP is doing this country and the race issue far more damage than good.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Shirley Sherrod and the story of real NAACP Bigotry

Just like on the liberal HuffPo, NBC and almost every other news organization I've seen (except for FOX).

Joke poster confirmed. You're not even trying anymore.

Also, you misspelt douchebag. "A conservative douchebag, Andrew Brietbart"

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh fivepoint- this is so full of fail it's not even funny. Did you not watch the whole speech in the other thread?

4. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The real question is whether or not you read my post completely. It's not Shirley who's the racist here... it's the crowd.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Threads like this just go to further illustrate just how much the right does not care about the truth. All they care about is winning and power. How sad.

Keep going with your delusions of black "racism". It really is pathetic.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just watched the vid you linked to and it appears to have absolutely nothing to do with what you're taking about :confused:. the fox news segment at the end leads me to the conclusion that this is yet another example of a talking point that you've picked up and are relgurgitating with little critical thought.

7. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

What are you talking about "delusions"? It's on tape! I can hear the crowd, everyone can! :eek:

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

We can hear the crown chuckling to a humerous anecdote. You're trying to muck rake and construct racism where there is absolutely none. If this is the contortions you need to go to to defend the tea party it's entirely laughable.

Edit: anyway this thread just needs to be added to the other on the same topic. It offers nothing new whatsoever.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. This is unreal. Seems they'll try anything to get anti-discrimination laws struck down and demonize the NAACP. It is truly sad that this kind of crap is still coming form the right in this day and age.

Hey, right wingers- people aren't that stupid.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think there are many who would call themselves "right wingers" here that would go along with this either. It's absurd.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

One can only hope.

12. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Watched the youtube clip...

I just watched the youtube clip.... Is this woman TRYING to wage "culture war???" I don't get it?

"It was revealed to me that its about poor, versus those who have. Its not so much about white... IT IS about white and black, but, you know, it opened my eyes, because I took him to one of his own"

Seriously? I thought we were striving for a post-racial society.... I thought we were all trying to get along here?

And I certainly never knew that it was poor vs rich....

I certainly hope that this woman is not representative of the majority of the left, as I am kind of disgusted. Granted, her father was killed and that is a terrible, terrible thing, but this woman does not seem to be promoting anything that can possibly be construed as peace or understanding.

Not when she is talking like that, at least. She was rabble rousing, appealing on class and race. Despicable.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, the tea party freaks out over allegations by the NAACP that there are racist elements of their group, then a day late and a dollar short, they fire one of their leaders for his "letter" about slavery to President Lincoln. (one of many cites: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...iams_expelled_over_colored_people_letter.html)

They continue to complain about allegations of racism where there is NONE, despite the firing. The firing gets amost zero press at FoxNews and right wing talk radio.

Now, an allegation and EDITED tape of a speech pops up that seems to be reverse racism, the administration IMMEDIATELY asks for a resignation, even before a real investigation, because racism IS NOT TOLERATED, and then AFTER the investigation shows that the right wing website edited the tape and the actual comments weren't nearly as bad as portrayed, those on the right are actually continuing the attacks?

Un-freaking-believable.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't watch the YouTube clip. Watch the entire video posted in the other thread. Don't be like some other right wingers on this site. Go seek the truth, rather than falling for this crap.

Not unbelievable- typical.

15. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

haha

Lee: If you read the part I quoted in my original post, that segment is exactly the same in the original, raw footage, which I did watch (Ok, skim through :p)

"It was revealed to me that its about poor, versus those who have. Its not so much about white... IT IS about white and black, but, you know, it opened my eyes, because I took him to one of his own"

That is not edited, she said that exactly as it was portrayed, and that is a insane thing to say. Shouldn't she be striving for peace and understanding between all races, genders, sexual orientations, and societal classes?

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

By that logic, I guess you just admitted the Tea Party is indeed racist. :rolleyes:

Just rename yourself Logic Fail and get on with it already.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And at the end she gets to the POINT of her entire anecdote. Just because you cut off at the point where it sounds bad (you know, the ****ing point of the anecdote was that her original feeling were wrong!) doesn't mean that is the point. Way to fall for out of context, out of reality, out of mind **** reporting.

Try something besides willful ignorance for once.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

But he likes FoxNews, and doesn't want to change the channel.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its not just FN. This country is entirely overrun with crap journalism on both sides. That said, it is amazing how powerful the right is with their ability to make the American people rally against the very values and policies they agree with before whatever twisted rephrasing the right media can come up with.

How can they be so effective? I blame us for falling for it, and not holding these people responsible. Also, journalists have failed us entirely.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

According to FOX news:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,597324,00.html

the quotations is:

In fact, here's the whole transcript:

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/shirleysherrodnaacpfreedom.htm

HEre's more context:

Please, just admit you're wrong. You're embarrassing yourself.

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

1. I don't watch fox news, thanks for assuming though.
    2. miliblithe: I don't really care what she says about race. I am more concerned with her class-warfare ideology.

That being said, I feel you guys need this: You are all sooo smart, sooo educated, soooo caring and compassionate! Man you guys are right about everything! I love it! Next time I encounter a roadblock in my life, I will come here, because you guys are clearly the authority on anything and everything that is correct and good in the world.

:rolleyes:

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What class-warfare ideology? The WHOLE FREAKING POINT is that the right-wingers took a part of a quote out of context and implied a class warfare ideology when in fact none existed.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Glad to see you don't give a **** about living life willfully ignorant.

No one claimed anything other than the truth here. Why you resort to the underlined crap is beyond me. Frankly it's the childish equivalent to putting your fingers in your ears and humming till the thing you disagree with disappears.

Seriously, you should give a **** about the truth here, this crap has cost our country two people in this administration so far that were very qualified to do their jobs.

I'm sad to say that even when not in power the right still seems to be pulling the overall strings and message in this country. Frankly, its scary what can happen when people rely on sound clip reporting and don't really give a **** about the context, the process, or even the truth.

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The case of Shirley Sherrod is about context. If 'context is everything' what absolves the Tea Party from these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Great. I guess we'll just lump you in with the rest of the conservatives here who can never admit they made a mistake. Too bad, I though you might be one of the thoughtful ones. It's pretty clear that's not the case. I'm sure they'll welcome you wholeheartedly to their family.