Shld i buy quicken mac 2007 or wait for Financial life

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alainr, Jan 28, 2009.

1. alainr macrumors regular

I have used quicken for windows for years. i use it to print checks, keep register, make reports (income comparison, P&L). i don't use it for online banking. it is a hassle using quicken windows via VMFusion,. i want to switch.

How is the beta version of quicken financial life? is it better than quicken mac 2007 for what i need to do? I need to decide now so 2009 will be on the mac side of my imac.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I can't stand the beta of Financial Life. I hope it changes significantly before release. The layout is completely different and I find that some of the quirks make it basically unusable for me (though that may be just beta problems, I'm having a hard time telling what's a problem and what's a "feature"). For now, I'd recommend Quicken 2007.

jW

3. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Financial software is overrated

I keep my tabs on my spreadsheets so that I can print them out on my bed sheets.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I used Quicken for probably 12 years on a PC before switching to a Mac. I downloaded the beta version of Quicken Financial Life and found the UI terrible. Quicken has moved away from what made it successful; simple and intuitive.

Couldn't disagree more.

5. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Any new word / rumors on the release of QFL? It's about 4 months overdue now and I'm eager to buy a new finance program. If QFL is good, I can stop using Parallels!

6. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

In beta. Far from a finished product.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would wait for QFL. The beta looked nice, albeit very different. If you haven't seen it, think of Quicken meets Finder. I kinda liked it, but there were a LOT of features missing. I am chalking that up to being a beta version since I'm on the '05 version and have a lot of stuff that QFL didn't.

8. rayward macrumors 65816

I have just completed the conversion from Windows to Mac. It's time consuming but not arduous. Just tedious beyond belief because you have to go account by account to repair broken links between inter-account transactions and replace those that simply disappear. The biggest trouble is with investment accounts, as it simply does not port over straight deposits and withdrawals.

I haven't yet tried the QFL Beta as it only imports from a QFM file, not QFW. I have no idea whether the full version of QFL will be able to import from QFW directly, or whether it will be any better than the current flawed process. Given Intuit's track record, it's not impossible to think that it might be worse.

I switched to QFM because Intuit is going to cease the download service for QFW 2006 users in April, meaning I had to upgrade to a new version. I have been running Quicken in Parallels on my Mac, but I want to get rid of this as it clogs up my Time Capsule (any change in any file means that TC backs up the whole 60GB Windows/Parallels file set as a new file).

QFM is ok. I prefer the Mac-style with multiple independent windows, but the look and feel is very basic compared to the Windows version. Example: you cannot have the cash flow graph on the calendar view - it's a separate item called "Forecast" hidden in the "Activities menu - and it's a simple line chart which looks like crap. The "Insights" window is supposed to be like the Home page, but it too looks horrible. The Net Worth chart looks like it's been faxed a dozen times and cannot be viewed in full screen. Further, downloaded transactions aren't available in the register window for that account; you have to go to a separate window and accept them into the register.

If QFL is anything like QFM, then - if you don't mind running the memory and power-hogging virtual Windows installation - stick with QFW. I'll live with QFM in order to dump my Windows installation, and keep my fingers crossed that QFL gets some TLC.

9. Felder71 macrumors member

You could just set Time Machine to exclude the VM. If you only use it for Quicken, have one VM backup somewhere, and back up your Quicken data to place where TM or some other backup functionality keeps it, you should be fine.

As for me, I'll keep using Quicken 2009 (only $30 on special...doubt QFL will be close to that) in VMWare until I can get a stable copy of QFL that has all the features I need. When that will be, who knows, but as long as I can run Quicken PC in some manner, I'm good for the time being.