Shock! NAACP Leader Is White!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 12, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm ashamed that at this late date we still judge people by the color of their skin.

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-ne...lie-about-her-race-city-investigates/33533026

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We can change our gender, why can't we change our race?

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Time for a DNA test. The city will have to determine what percentage of African blood is required to represent the NAACP without it being an ethics violation. :rolleyes:

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

She's received numerous hate mails; however, the police say "that whoever placed the mail must have had access to the box, as it was not processed through the regular mail."

Is there such a thing as Racial Munchhausen's Syndrome?

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There is no such thing as race. It has no biological reality. We make it a cultural reality.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I identify as a firetruck. Thus I am a firetruck. Don't trigger me.

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Why does the leader of the NAACP necessarily have to be black (or whatever)? If they HAVE to be black to get the job done effectively, what percentage of "black" do they have to be? If skin tone is too light, would that disqualify them?

8. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Good point. It may be that the NAACP is trying to be progressive and has implemented affirmative action in its hiring.

I applaud them.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The hashtag #AskRachel is now trending worldwide on Twitter.

Some of it is hilarious.

[​IMG]

This Rachel must be curled up in a ball somewhere crying her eyes out.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I see the Culture Warriors still haven't realized they are becoming irrelevant (and a laughing stock) by harping on this kind of stuff. Only those caught in echo chambers give a damn.

12. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I still can't believe race is a big as issue as it still is. There are whites prejudiced against race, minorities prejudiced against different races, etc...all races have prejudice not meaning all people have prejudice. It's absolutely ridiculous. I judge people by how they act not their color...which has no bearing on anything. If someone's nice to me i'm nice to them regardless of race. If someone's mean to me I ignore them..and if it happens to be someone of a different race i'm labeled a racist...absurd. I don't care if you're Caucasian, African-American, Indian, Asian, Hispanic, female, male, animal, different sexual orientations, talking teddy bear, alien, etc...I judge based on character and like good people and dislike bad people. Tolerance and acceptance is something that I can't believe a lot of people don't have. Can't believe there are still wars over religious beliefs either...like whoever wins is right...pffft.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Harping on what stuff?.. A white woman posing as a black woman? You don't find that disturbing or strange?

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not wanting to date myself (hey, it was 8th grade), but I believe there was a movie about this made 29 years ago. Let me find it..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091991/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Just sayin'..

BL.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not really. She's the head of an organization that is there to address societal race issues...I don't know why her personal race has any bearing on the work she does.

What I do find strange is why one sect of the news media thinks this says anything about the work the NAACP does. It doesn't, it's people grasping at nothing to "discredit" an organization they dislike for one reason or another.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You have to watch this interview with Rachel.

youtube

Skip to the end about 7:45, the interviewer confronts her about her claim to be black.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That's a strawman. This is about a white woman posing as a black woman. This is not about discrediting the NAACP.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I skipped to that section...it looks like someone who understands the political nature of not being black and the leader of that chapter of the NAACP.

I'm still not understanding the problem here. Or the reporters tone? How does her ethnicity effect what her mission is?

Other than for chuckles from a...certain crowd, what the hell is all the controversy about? Does she not do a good job in her role? :confused:

19. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Then what is the point of this? What difference does it make? I'm failing to grasp the newsworthiness of this as it creeps around the web. If you can elaborate please lay it out for me because I'm really failing to understand why this matters at all.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if she gets fired, will it be because she was white? or because she lied?

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Liar, sure.

Why do you feel the need to comment on her appearance?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did she do anything that could get her fired...other than the political fallout from it?

Edit: Sorry mods! I didn't realize the forum doesn't automatically combine posts since the changeover.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Then why not just say "Yeah I'm white." Why the charade?