Shocker: James Dobson criticizes Obama's reading of the Bible

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Pittsax, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25343812/
    I love how Dobson totally dismisses the Old Testament and Leviticus in particular in response to the slavery and shellfish comment, yet that's where his anti-abortion and "stone the gays" comments usually derive from. I don't recall Jesus ever preaching hate against gays and saying that abortion was evil.....

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dobson is a psycho, with an ego that dwarfs the size of his congregation. Remember, with people like him, it's not enough to believe themselves. Everyone else has to believe the same things too.

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This just proves how racist most conservative "christian" groups really are.

And I personally don't consider them Christian. Jesus taught tolerance and love not hatred.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You would be correct. Hmm...wonder how big his bank account is? That should speak volumes about which "god" he worships.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i would just skip lunies like this If I were Mr. Obama. Whats the point.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Well he proved one of his points by doing this. He said he was willing to talk to the worlds craziest people.;)

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. Obama needs to focus on bigger things, not this wacko.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

well if he focuses on just bigger things Mccains camp just says hes not in touch with the average American, "town hall" debates anyone?:rolleyes:

9. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The Christian Right is neither.

I agree, avoid getting into a back and forth with this nutball. You won't win if you have to put yourself in the gutter to fight. Dobson makes his career twisting the Bible to say what he wants it to say, preaching fear and anger and hate. You can't win against that because he worships his own 'interpretation' more than anything else.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You know, when I was a kid Dobson was a mostly innocuous guy authoring and selling Sunday School materials on the subject of getting along with your own family. I'm sure he was still conservative, but if he had an overtly hateful agenda, it wasn't especially evident from where I was sitting.

Now he's just gone absolutely chiropteran-poop-peculiar. Dobson is really the perfect case study in what money and national political influence do to preachers in the U.S.. Even more so than Pat Robertson, since I don't think Robertson actually believes in God or ever has.

The really disappointing thing is that it was beginning to look like there was a chance we might actually skate by with electing a President instead of a High Priest for once, that "evangelicals" might actually be forced to think about issues for once, but this lunatic is trying to drag it back down to the shallow and completely unprovable level of who God likes better.

I only wish Americans on the whole were canny enough to see this for the underhanded sabotage of their interests that it is. Whether you believe in God or not, nobody is served by ignoring the dire and tangible issues the next President will face to debate which candidate can squeeze more angels onto the head of a pin. Of course, we have proven time and again Americans are not that canny. As much as I'd like to be able to suggest Obama just ignore this tiresome and facile angle of attack, there are a lot of people who will take it seriously no matter how meaningless it is objectively, and as loathe as I am to admit it, he needs to make at least a token effort to defuse Dobson so that evangelicals don't swarm out and vote against him for no good reason.

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Gelfin, such a great post. Well said, and I'm in line behind you.

And I also just have to say that

is just brilliant. Never a more PC way of saying b**-s***-c****. I'm stealing it. :D

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ditto. When our kids were little, my wife was into Dobson (though I wasn't), believing that he gave good guidance for raising a family.

Nowadays he's become just another theocratic nutcase. Observe:

"Even if we did have only Christians in our midst, if we expelled every non-Christian from the United States of America, whose Christianity would we teach in the schools?" Obama said. "Would we go with James Dobson's or Al Sharpton's?" referring to the civil rights leader....

Joshua DuBois, director of religious affairs for Obama's campaign, said in a statement that a full reading of Obama's speech shows he is committed to reaching out to people of faith and standing up for families. "Obama is proud to have the support of millions of Americans of faith and looks forward to working across religious lines to bring our country together," DuBois said.

Dobson reserved some of his harshest criticism for Obama's argument that the religiously motivated must frame debates over issues like abortion not just in their own religion's terms but in arguments accessible to all people.​
    Now check this out:

...New poll numbers released today from the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life show that Americans are overwhelmingly open-minded about faith. A majority of Americans -- 70 percent -- say that many religions, not just their own, can lead to eternal life.

Mary Burrell, a St. John's Episcopal Church member in New York City, accepts that believers of other religions can also be saved. "I believe in every religion. It's hard for me to be just nailed down to Christianity," she shared with ABC News.

Christopher Scott, a member of Burrell's congregation, echoes her inclusiveness: "I don't think there's any doubt that that's possible. ... Anyone can find their way."

John Green, who conducted the poll, was genuinely surprised by the results. The findings show that 83 percent of mainline Protestants, 79 percent of Catholics, 82 percent of Jews, and 56 percent of Muslims concur that eternal life is not exclusive to their faith.

"I didn't think it would be that high," Green remarked, "and I didn't think that the figures would extend to so many different religious communities."​
    Looks like Christians are a lot more aligned with Obama's open-minded way of thinking than they are with Dobson's fanaticism.

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I knew Dobson was wrong to start, but then:
    proves he's also dumb.

Obama never said either of those things.

Sadly there are people who take notes on his sermons on Sundays. Wish they'd take notes on the Bible instead...

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, what percentage of evangelicals believe that eternal life is not exclusive to their faith? I imagine Muslims (in the US) are significantly higher at 56%.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Heh... a message of "I hate the other guy more than I hate my guy" isn't exactly going to bring droves of believers to the polls.

Dobson's a worthless crank. He might as well be shaking his fist in impotent rage while screaming "You god damn kids get off my Bible".

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Notes on real life might be even better.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont forget ,while making big $$$ selling his ancient book. Dobson takes Obama out of contex. Obama is right and the DOBSONS are why we do have a seperation of church & state. Take your religion and.....

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That's really encouraging!! I'm surprised by the figures, too, but they're wonderful to see. Thanks for sharing.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm actually glad he has:

Obama dismisses Dobson criticism about Bible

It's a tough tightrope to walk, he doesn't want to legitimize him by having to mention it, but it's out there and he should do something to combat the smear.

I was listening to someone comment on the timing of this, as Dobson was taking something Obama said quite awhile ago, and they pointed out that this might be because while McCain isn't really making an inroad with some religious types, Obama actually is. I guess Dobson railed against McCain so much he can't really come out and support him, but he can try to attack Obama. Even if he is just, no pun intended, preaching to the converted. Moderates might be kinda turned off by the rhetoric you'd think. And might be more worried about the real problems facing us. But as another talking head pointed out on some other show I can't remember, at this point the GOP can't really run on the issues right now. They kinda have to distract with things like this. I just don't think it'll help as much as it used to:

Fellow Christians - we have been fooled for too long

Read the article. It's not exactly what you'd think. He doesn't say vote Dem, or don't vote GOP, just to pay more attention to the real issues than those who wear the Bibles on their sleeves. Which Obama is actually doing more of lately. For better or worse. Reading his books, listening to his podcasts, then David Kuo's book about Rove and Bush (not as religious as they pretend to be, for those who still don't know) that could be a good thing if he actually follows the good ideals of the Bible. All while, as Dobson pointed out, also considering those of other religions or no religion at all.

The above I posted is the best you're going to get from some people, but it's not that bad, and often close enough to it you can't even tell it's not butter.

20. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

In a choice between the two, Dobson gets my vote, over Obama. The bible, is the final authority.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

But who's take on the Bible? That's the point. Dobson has his, which he claims is the correct view that everyone else should follow. Where he gets this authority, he doesn't say. Obama has his, which he says is his alone, claiming to respect the views of others.

In the world Obama is talking about, you are free to your views, provided they don't negatively affect others, whereas in the world Dobson talks about, you are free to his views.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The correct take on the bible is the one in line with your politics.

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

"These people don't believe in the Prophets and 'peace be upon them', they believe in the profits and how to get a piece of them"

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, the speech Dobson was referencing says something a little different:
    http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060628-call_to_renewal

Makes more sense to me than some of what Dobson has pushed:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Dobson

Scary stuff.