Shocking - My macbook pro battery is left with 179mAh of maximum charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kitrenot, Aug 18, 2014.

1. kitrenot macrumors newbie

Guys, I'm shocked
    My macbook pro battery is left with 179mAh of maximum charge!
    It stays at most 5 minutes without charged in.

I wonder if this is something that normally happens after 3 years of usage ?

I mean the laptop has been doing fine until almost a month ago, then I started extensively sleep and wake my laptop up and I realized my clock is constantly showing the wrong time.

My questions is it time to change my laptop battery ? or there is a fix for this ?

P.S. my MBP is early 2011
    current battery cycle is 411

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Time to replace your battery (that's the fix.)

3. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

411 battery cycle is not too bad considering that Apple says it can take 1000 cycle before dying. take the laptop to apple store and ask for a volume correction service.

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I have a 2011 model with 900 something charges with 80 percent battery remaining. Your battery seems to have a flaw.

5. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The battery has clearly failed, I'd expect Apple to charge for it given its age. Cycle count low or not but worth asking.

7. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

But 5 mins for a battery with 411 cycles passed is not that normal. To me it seems there is another reason for the batteries death. My 2011 17" MBP runs about 2 hours after its 816 cycles...

8. leman macrumors 604

No, Apple says that it should be at least 80% of the capacity after 1000 cycles. That said, cycles is only one part of the equation, age is the other one. I would not accept this on a 12 month old battery, but a three years old one is a different matter.

BTW, this clearly illustrates why taking extra care of battery is pointless :D

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Mine is at 90.5% capacity after 3yrs 2mths and 751 cycles. His has certainly failed internally I would suspect, but due to its age I'd expect it to be a chargeable repair as they are still a consumable item.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Regardless of the cycles, it does sound like the battery needs to be replaced.

11. kitrenot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply guys, I will take it to apple asap. ;)

12. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Do you leave it plugged in, by any chance..? My battery died because I always left it plugged in. I apparently needed to let it drain to within 10% at least once a month.

13. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

My early 2011 has ~500 cycles and lasts 4.5 hours. I think yours has a problem and should be replaced.

14. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The computer does this automatically now. The charging system will manage the battery health for you, even if you leave it plugged in all the time - it will periodically allow the battery to drain and top it off if you don't use it away from the charger all that often.

Also deep discharging a lithium ion battery is not needed (i.e., to within 10% capacity). Discharging to about half and then back up is the best way to maximise life, but even so, the modern lithium batteries Apple uses can pretty much be used without thinking about them (i.e., you're not going to hurt it much by using it however you like unless you're doing something really odd like using it at very high or very low temperatures).

15. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Do you have a source for this?

16. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Not directly, but if you leave your MBP connected to power for long periods you'll see it doing this - the machine will switch to battery power despite being plugged in, then the battery will begin to charge again when you hit about 95%.

Apple themselves still suggest a monthly cycle (https://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/notebooks.html) but the charge system will intervene if you don't do this.

Deep discharging lithium batteries is just part of their chemistry - they don't react well to it at all. To protect them, 0% battery on the dial is not actually as low as they can go, but it's pretty low - they live longer at half charge as long as you keep them within the normal temperature range.

17. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

18. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Yes that is normal after 3 years of usage.

I found this on the interwebs.

"With your new battery, some things to remember about Li cells:

1. They decay from birth, whether used or not.
    2. Long periods of static storage (i.e. no discharging or charging) will accelerate the rate of decay
    3. partial discharges and charges will not harm a Li cell, and in fact are the optimal way to use them for maximum useful life span.
    4. Deep cycling (running until the machine auto-shuts down) are only useful for calibrating the battery meter in the desktop menu bar. They do nothing to aid the battery itself, and in fact are the worst way to use a Li cell as they take a greater toll on the battery than multiple partial cycles (so only full cycle occasionally, to re-calibrate the battery meter)."

:apple:

19. kitrenot thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I always leave it plugged in, the thing is the battery still last for about 3-4 hours last month. But it suddenly dropped to 179mAh recently, which shocked me :D

I will drain the battery frequently with the new battery thanks for your advice.

Oh and btw I also happened to plug a cooling fan in my MBP since last year, is this also the reason for the battery failure ?

20. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Apple recently updated their battery info and no longer recommends intentionally discharging the battery for any reason. The non-US battery info pages don't seem to have been updated yet.

"With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle."
    www.apple.com/batteries

21. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Bet they still expect you to use it on battery power...