Shocking Stockton robbery and police shootout

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jul 19, 2014.

1. 63dot, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/innocent-women-killed-violent-stockton-bank-robber/nghkj/

Many are pissed at the robbers but some are placing blame on cops when a hostage got killed but details are not clear. It goes without saying that gangs are dangerous, but should we worry about the cops?

If the hostage got killed by negligent police actions/training, it's not the first time. In the last two years in my town, high tension situations ended up in people getting killed by cops when it didn't have to end that way.

What is known is the the three robbers were either gang members or affiliates known in an area infiltrated by that gang who are usually well armed. As much as I am against the FBI's HRT and their aggressive tactics, it times like these where they shine and help people.

Posse Comitatus holds back most military/psuedo military groups from helping the cops, but regular police force in a defensive posture may not be able to work as effectively as "contractors" in a more proactive stance. Eric Haney, author of Inside Delta Force goes into detail about how non-army operators worked in jobs usually relegated to civilian cops. I don't believe in martial law, but I think we could expand certain aspects of special forces to be working here to help America and not in aimless wars overseas. Using Delta Force out front (instead of covertly) and perhaps rumored navy commando teams with similar training can probably be most effective in situations where cops cannot do the job and ensure the safety of citizens. We can't go arming the cops with machine guns and telling them to just "get them". So far, it's only those highly specialized shooters who get the perps but don't hit innocents.

At the same time, we have to avoid racial profiling and we should either use people trained in high tension situations or train the cops better.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is a shame that the hostage was killed instead of the scumbag who took her.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Cops should have kept their distance. Robbers used the woman as a shield.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Two of the men, gang members, were killed. The 19 year old lived and was said to be affiliated with the gang. I don't really know the difference here.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Several active-duty cops at one website I frequent are in agreement that with the chopper overhead, the chase should have dropped way back and disengaged from active gunfire.

IOW, bad tactics insofar as the safety of the hostage.