Shooting at Holocaust Museum

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 10, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

MSNBC TV is reporting the guy was 89 years old with ties to anti-government and white supremacist groups.

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I've been wanting to visit the museum for a while now. But this is no good. Stupid white-supremacist. Terrible

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wonder if he was a friend of the abortion doctor killer too?

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I tell ya. This is extreme but I think ANYBODY that promotes the right wing extremist views that Obama and Democrats are destroying this country should be arrested for promoting hate crimes. And this includes members of congress.

5. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Geez, isn't that going against the principles that this country was founded upon? Namely the first amendment of our Bill of Rights. I don't support the shooting or racism, but we do have the right to disagree with Obama and the Republicrats.

How does strongly disagreeing with the administration considered a "hate crime"? Your comment seems mighty hypocritical.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sure we all remember how hopping-mad conservatives got when the DOJ (correctly, as it's turned out) identified radical right-wing extremists as the most likely sources of domestic attacks.

Turns out they were right...

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We'll see more too.

Everyone has the right to disagree. I think Peace went too far as well.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

When a well known actor like Jon Voigt says Obama is destroying the country and calls him the false prophet that incites hate.

Think about it.

Sarah Palin says he hangs around with terrorist ?? WTF??

You don't think that's incitement ?

I do.

And I stand by my view.

[edit] I might add some of the anti-war leaders were arrested for the same thing in the 60's [/edit]

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You know, it's funny... I don't hear Michael Wiener agitating for the reinstatement of the Sedition Act anymore; something he spent most of the Bush administration arguing for using against critics of the Bush administration. ;)

And no, I don't think you arrest people for thinking or saying nasty things.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's going to be a cold day in hell before I say that someone should be arrested in this country for voicing an unpopular opinion. I stand by that.

11. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Well, I think those are cases of slander more than anything else. Obama doesn't pal around with terrorists, and I doubt that he is any kind of prophet, let alone a false one.

I think you're view is extremist. I also think that the 60s anti-war protesters should not have been arrested, if they were just making statements and not actually breaking any laws.

12. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Are you serious? Well believe it or not, they are. Not only America, but the entire world too. Just wait for a new world order. And guess what, unless people speak up (which is exactly what you are trying to prevent), it'll happen, and it'll happen soon. A one world religion, one world government, one world economy. All controlled by the devil.

Anyways this is off-topic. I find it odd that an 89 year old man had the energy to go out and do a shooting ....... at the Holocaust Museum???? That's unbelievable!

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Can we start calling these right wing nutjobs terrorists yet? How about we ask Darth Cheney if we should haul their asses down to Gitmo and waterboard them, you know, to make America safer or some BS like that

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow... I hesitate to ask, but do you have a link to that?

15. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

"Terrorist" is a curious, broad term. I would hesitate very much, calling any domestic criminal or even a "nutjob", as you call some people, a terrorist. It could open up a hot-bed in new Government oversight and unconstitutional laws that hurt anybody disagreeing with an administration. We have safeguards to protect people, until they are proven guilty, but if people are classified as a "terrorist", those safeguards could go away and detrimentally affect us all.

You know, back in 1776, our American founding fathers were considered terrorists by the British.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow. There must be a sale on tin foil!

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Hesitate? If he has a source, its sure to provide hours of fun.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A point some of us have been making for almost 8 years now.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We should start a pool...will his source be Free Republic? Red State? Storm Front? Place your bets!

20. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I'm not sure I am getting your meaning. What are you saying?

21. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Remember how the Bushies and their supporters claimed anyone who spoke out against Bush was un-American or unpatriotic. By their definition, we ought to haul Jon Voight off to Gitmo. :rolleyes:

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Many of us have expressed concerns about the term for years now. However, if we're going to call acts of violence with political overtones, whether deliberate or indiscriminate, terrorism, we really should be consistent in our application of the term.

If you're a terrorist for walking into a cafe and killing random people, then you're a terrorist for walking into a museum and shooting up random people. If you're a terrorist for deliberately targeting the people of a building for death, it shouldn't matter whether that building is the WTC or the Holocaust museum.

And it certainly shouldn't matter what the religion or ethnicity of the attacker is in the application of the term.

23. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I remember. I strongly disagree with the Bush/Cheney opinions. I've been saying that from the beginning.

If we the people lose the right to have an opinion against any part of the government, then this country ceases to be the United States of America, and our Constitution is downgraded to just a "worthless piece of paper".

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just as bad is having the right to that opinion but not exercising it at election time.

25. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

says the one with the devil mask as his avatar, lol