Shooting at Poway, CA Synagoue

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bambooshots, Apr 27, 2019.

1. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have to agree. This could have been much much worse. Also, it has been noted that the mayor has called this a hate crime. Depending on the motive of the shooter (I haven't heard anything on his background yet), I'd be inclined to agree.

BL.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. bambooshots thread starter macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Sounds like a NZ copycat. Manifesto available on pastebin and everything. Idk if he was successful in live-streaming it but from the sound of it he planned to.

And a member on a forum i frequent was very close to the one reported victim that’s died, so the one death reported so far has hit the community pretty hard.

5. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Another white lone wolf it seems..possibly mentally disturbed.

RIP.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is a quite amazing story from what I've gathered. The Gunman opened fire, and afterwards the (wounded) rabbi and the congregation talked him down, he fled and then called 911 on himself. Despite jckerdas' assertion, this is a great example of diffusing a bad situation with words and nothing more. The gunman was 19, I hope he gets the treatment and/or punishment he deserves - but I'm glad he didn't die in a hail of bullets.

7. bruinsrme, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

From the various sources I’ve read a name has not been release.
    Just saw the news update.
    Curious why No name released And why the sheriff didn’t identify the type of weapon, just classified it as an AR-15 type weapon.

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’ve never understood the hatred for Jews - from the extreme Right or Left.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Sounds like this guy hated all but his type

11. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Another tragedy brought to you by the internet and tribalism, or is anybody here suggesting he was personally slighted by so many Jews that this was inevitable?

13. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Seems like his motivation was religion.

I know, surprising.

14. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

We have seen quite a few attacks recently that seem to have some relation or motivation towards religion which is not good.

15. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

No, not good at all. But religion is arguably the largest source of conflict in the world. It’s completely absurd that people die because of this nonsense.

16. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

17. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Yeah, when people are actually dying because of it, when it's impacting so many lives in every day situations, it's nonsense. It's the epitome of nonsensical that so it impacts so many people so very badly and so constantly.

I'm all for people believing in whatever they want. You can believe in God, or the tooth fairy, or whatever you like. Just don't kill people. Don't make your completely unfounded beliefs impact the lives of people who don't believe the same stuff you do. I think that's a reasonable request.

18. bambooshots, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

bambooshots thread starter macrumors 65816

bambooshots

That's not what happened.

From the victim's friend:

Border Patrol was not carrying.

The Victim's husband pitched him a handgun when he heard the commotion.

Border Patrol guy is a parishioner . BP returned fire and the guy ran off. He chases him outside and shot the rear window out of his car. Local police cuffed him a few blocks away.

The victim's husband is a physician. He didn’t know who was hit. They called him to do CPR on a victim. When husband arrives to the victim, he then sees that it is his wife. He passes out. He is now a mess. Can you even imagine that?! What a ****ing ****show.

jkcerdas's assertion was correct. This is a good example of a good guy with a gun discouraging further attacks from a shooter. Whoever you got that story from gave you exactly that: a story.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2019 ---
    @jkcerda, did you mention you were Border Patrol before? I'm guessing there is no requirement to carry off duty, but is it allowed and/or encouraged?

19. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I agree that it is not nonsense itself but the people committing crimes against others are behind the actual nonsense. The same can be said for cars,motorcycles,knives,guns,etc.. Nonsense is what unfortunately sits in some people’s minds/brains. :(
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2019 ---
    I agree with you, you can believe in what ever you want provided you don’t harm others for their beliefs just as they should not harm you for your beliefs.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

This is very depressing, especially put into the context of the recent attacks against different religions. This kind of thing should not be occurring in America in 2019. I sympathize for all the victims and those affected. I commend the congregation for subduing the shooter. These people demonstrated a true act selflessness and courage for their community.

At the same time, I pity this likely very disturbed young man for his decision to commit such a heinous and hateful crime. A 19 year old destroying his life over this is tragic. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Wow. That’s very sad. Thankfully the victims are only injured and I hope the best for the young girl who is severely injured. I suspect a strong possibility of war really screwing up the soldier. I worked for the VA and understand just how powerful PTSD is and just how difficult it is to treat, let alone get treatment. It’s is a huge problem and our soldiers deserve to have better care. Our soldiers need get over the stigmas of mental health both for themselves and those they believe they are “protecting” by not referring for help. Chances are people around him noticed things were not right with this man.

21. bambooshots thread starter macrumors 65816

bambooshots

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Honestly, that's not what I read from your link when i previously posted. It seems to be updated (as i re-read it). Guess best not to comment on a developing-story...

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

For gods sake for once can we leave the Pro/Anti-Trump political nonsense out of this for once. It’s really disturbing when all these horrific events turn into a debate about Trump. The reality is there are bigoted people on both sides and everywhere in between. People don’t become murderous bigots just because of one person. I think it’s fair to say discrimination stems from far more complex issues.

I know this isn’t your fault, but whoever intentionally made that fake headline to politicize and weaponize the murder and bodily harm of innocent people is a truly disgusting human being.