Shooting in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    And how many other murders by shootings were there today? Maybe around 50 to 70 in the US. Every murder is equally tragic.

Can anyone be arsed listening to the John Waynes with their bravado telling us they'd have stopped it if they were there with a gun. How deeply insecure must one be to want to walk around with a lethal weapon on their person.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. They just happen to like to use guns.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I believe the daily average of firearm homicides is ~31.5 (2009).

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Fair enough, still absolutely ridiculous.

6. ender land macrumors 6502a

Funny, you must have linked the wrong article.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. It is.

Unfortunately, it's the price we pay for living with the gun nutz.

And it ain't changing any time soon.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Here's another. Considering things are fluid right now we really don't know the exact situation.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...sikh-temple-in-wisconsin-at-least-4-shot?lite

"Earlier, at least four people were seen covered on the ground outside the temple. The temple's president was among those shot, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported."

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

I know.

Posting things as facts when no news sources have confirmed anything is really annoying.

10. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yup. Posted an article but wrote op based on tv news. Will edit.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I can't wait to find out which "well regulated militia necessary to the security of a free state" the shooter was a part of :rolleyes:

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

To be fair it might have come from within the Sikh community.

We'll have to wait and see.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If only everybody in the temple had carried guns ...

:rolleyes:

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If only. then we would have 10 dead inside.

:rolleyes:

16. calb macrumors 6502

Ask yourself why they like using guns to kill people. Hint: less likely to be disarmed; propensity to cause more harm in short space of time.

It's tragic. Murder is tragic, but the rest of the world looks on the frequency of such incidents with despair.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As do some unarmed Americans like myself.

18. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

News just reported 6 dead plus the gunman and one wounded police office.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree.. If it turns out that the gunman( gunmen ) used another one of those toy assault rifles I'm gonna leave this thread. I'm tired of reading all the gun rights people rationalizing these murders.

20. calb, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

calb macrumors 6502

You're right. I didn't mean to suggest any national one-upmanship because no country is perfect.

It's impossible to prevent all incidents like this, but limiting the frequency of events (and distribution and degree of harm!) is very much possible. Sadly there's a huge financial block on any progressive change taking place.

Any gun is far more capable of killing and maiming in a short space of time than a knife, so I wouldn't limit criticism only to rifles. Handguns are very easy to conceal. I wouldn't advocate an outright ban on something a powerful few hold very dear, but rigorous control is essential.

Edit: Just to be clear before the gun lobby aim my way... I'm not out to get you. I have friends (yes, here in the UK) who go hunting. But justifications for lax control and widespread availability of multiple weapon types are completely baffling to me.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No problem. I didn't interpret it that way at all.

Precisely, (although I might quibble about including "distribution") IMO, it's all about reducing the frequency and severity of these kinds of attacks. I briefly looked for information regarding the average number of victims per firearm-related murder but couldn't find the data. I'd be curious to compare it to knives.

22. calb macrumors 6502

By 'distribution' I mean the potential number of victims per incident, separate from 'degree of harm' or severity i.e. how lethal a wound is. A knife can be very lethal, but the distribution of harm is generally much lower for obvious reasons. Some cities in the UK have issues with knife crime (though I believe it's on the fall?), but the harm is isolated to a few people.

Would the tragedy in Wisconsin have been any different if the shooter used his hands, or a knife, or a crowbar? I have no idea, but it reduces the likelihood of such widespread harm. Even with stringent controls, checks and education, there's no guarantee that the shooter would not have laid his hands on a firearm. But again, it would reduce the likelihood. The game of odds and chance needs playing, not the financial one.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That might be true, but a person with a gun can kill a lot more people a lot faster than someone with just a knife or their hands. I just wonder how many more mass shootings we need before people in the US will finally put in some common sense gun laws.

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

31.5 in a country of over 300 million.

I'd say not bad at all, considering all the lunatics that are able to get guns on the black market.

Seems like the underlying issue here is our culture. Especially considering countries like Switzerland which have high amounts of guns, but don't really experience what we do here in the U.S. in regard to murders.