Shoplifting Story: Mistake or Crime?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So this pregnant woman goes shopping with her husband and daughter, eats a sandwich while she fills her cart, holds onto the wrapper for the sandwich so she can pay for it, forgets to pay for it and next thing you know, she and hubby are in jail and her daughter spend the night in foster care. Lucky this happened in the good old reasonable US of A. If this was the middle east, they might have cut off her hand.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45103...-sandwich-arrest-was-horrifying/#.Tq_79U-YAlA

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds like an honest mistake, but once you leave the store without showing an intent to pay, it IS shoplifting. Your use of quotes in the title of the thread seems to suggest otherwise.

3. wpotere Guest

They should have walked up and simply paid for the sandwich before they opened it, this is what I do if I am hungry. They stole and got caught... Overreaction? Perhaps, but we really are only hearing their side of the story.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The real question is, if she didn't get caught, when she realized she didn't pay for it, would she have gone back and paid for it......

5. interrobang macrumors 6502

Grocery stores are not buffet restaurants. If you can't be bothered to remember to pay for your food, perhaps you should wait until you get home.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Not sure why "pregnant" is in the title. That doesn't have any bearing on her guilt.

It might have been an honest mistake, but don't open items until you pay for them. Hopefully lesson learned. :confused:

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Next time buy the sandwich then shop.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think there's some of the "people care because it's a pregnant woman" going on. If it were a black man, it would not be in the news. :p

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Good point ^^^

Jail does seem a little harsh for a stolen sandwich. Arrest, a fine, criminal record, mug shots - all seem reasonable,. She did steal, but jail seems to me to be a bit much for a stolen sandwich.;)

10. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I can't quote anyone without breaking forum rules but r some of you people freaking high? The point of this story is not people care about a pregnant woman over a black guy or the proper way to eat and shop but that this couple was put In jail and their kid put In Forster care for a night over a god damn sandwich. What do u people think their brilliant criminal plan was? Buy a cart load of groceries to distract from the stealing of a four buck sandwich? Jesus Christ....

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

The title of the thread is "Pregnant Woman Arrested For "Shoplifting"

Maybe it should be "Woman Arrested For "Shoplifting, child put in foster care"

The point of the headline is to get you to feel sorry for a pregnant woman.

MSNBC: Pregnant mom says sandwich arrest was 'horrifying' ....What is the purpose to put PREGNANT in the headline?

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Get over it. That's the title I wrote, you know the whole story now so what does it matter?

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It DOES seem a rather silly thing to go to jail over, doesn't it?

Shoplifting is shoplifting in the eyes of the law. It's stealing. I freely admit that this was probably an honest mistake, but what if it wasn't? What if, as rhett7660 suggested, they would have simply gone home without paying if they were never caught?

It's like the guy who went to prison for shoplifting a candy bar because of California's three strike law. If you know it's against the law, you probably shouldn't do it.

14. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Why are you so angry? I know the title of your thread and the title of MSNBC, both point out she is pregnant. That doesn't make it less of a crime. Nobody knows whether or not she intended to pay for it, except the PREGNANT lady.

I go to the store all the time and see empty bags of chips and other items sitting on the shelves. People eat stuff in the stores all the time and don't pay for it.

Again, I ask. What is the purpose of pointing out she's pregnant in the MSNBC story and your title? Is it so we feel sorry for the poor pregnant woman and forget the fact that she "stole a sandwich"?

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Pregnant women and parents should never be put in prison :mad:.

But seriously. Of course "honest mistakes" should go punished, otherwise you'd have a horde of criminals using that as an excuse. If that happened to me I'd be ****ed off but I'd be glad I live in a country with a visible and effective police force.

16. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If people can't see this is obviously an honest mistake I feel sorry for them. Again, what was the plan, buy all this other food so we can steal one sandwich? How about the store just makes them pay for it and that's that. Really, separating a child from their parents for a night over a few bucks. Real compassion shown there for a former member of our armed forces. Guess support the troops is just a bumper sticker to some people.

I'm not angry at all. Maybe you're projecting. Again, big difference between people who go to a supermarket, graze and leave and someone who holds onto a wrapper because she is going to pay for it along with her other purchases. Sorry I wrote pregnant in the title. I'll change it to something better for you guys who still can't get past it and talk about the real issue.

I think any level-headed person can see through B.S. excuses and honest mistakes. Do you honestly think this ex-air force sergeant, his PREGNANT :rolleyes: wife along with his kid in tow, meant to steal this one item while paying for the rest?

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Again, I don't think it's about "a few bucks," I think it's about a criminal act. Don't confuse the civil damages with criminal behavior; they aren't the same, and the courts don't handle them the same way. People who break the law seldom get sentenced to simply paying restitution; that's what civil courts are for.

So vets get a free pass when they break the law? What if they stole your stuff?

Perhaps not - but then, sometimes it's more about what you did than whether you meant to do it.

If we're talking about an accident (say, knocking over a vase and breaking it), then yes, I think whether you intended to do it or not makes a pretty big difference.

If we're talking about a criminal offense (say, stealing something), I don't really think it matters whether you intended to do it.

18. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

But my point is that they didn't steal it, they made a mistake. If I was the store owner, I would accept that fact that people do that sometimes and have compassion (especially for someone who put their life on the line for me) and not call the cops.

Very compassionate of you. No mistakes ever? What a world we would live in if we locked everyone up without a chance for them to simply say I'm sorry, pay the damages and go on with our lives. Very Christian of you...

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's a difference between forgiving someone and giving them free license to break the law with no consequences. :) Being Christian doesn't mean I oppose punishing someone who breaks the law.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Still the store manager over reacted big time and I know went against Safeway's policies and he should be pretty badly punished and transfered to a different store in the very least if not fired.
    Safeway biggest thing is customer service and when I worked at one this would of been have the lady pay for it and call it good if even that far. They know this massive over reaction is going to cost the company far more business and money loss than to 5 sandwich.
    I expect said manager on duty might be in the unemployment line.

21. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Right and seriously, give me your honest opinion: which time is this? The I believe this family made a honest mistake over a few buck sandwich time or the time to throw the book at the growing sandwich stealing crime sprees that are spreading throughout this country?

----------

Finally, an intelligent voice that speaks the truth and shines a light of common sense and hope into this thread. In other words, someone who agrees with me. :D

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

After reading the article in the link I am curious as to what they are going to take legal action against?

What I am wondering is how they were with the store employees for it to go this far?

This also makes me wonder what has happened in the past for DCFS and the Police to take this action even on a simple Misd.

Very interesting.

23. wpotere Guest

You are making a rather large assumption based on only one side of the story. It was a mistake according to them but perhaps the story is much different than what they are telling us. Just saying....

As I said, it may have been an over reaction but I would love to hear what really transpired in the office that caused them to call the cops. Either way, I am not going to listen to just her side of the story as it is clear she is playing the sympathy card.

24. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I don't think anyone actually read the article. No one went to jail, and the child wasn't whisked away forever. Mom and dad were arrested, taken to the police station, charged, and released upon payment of bail. The couple might have spent a bit of time in a holding cell, but that's hardly "hard time". The child was taken by Child Welfare because that's standard procedure when both parents are arrested. Should they have just left the kid by the side of the road?

Honest mistake or not, the store employees were following procedure. They were not allowed to accept payment for items that left the store, so a shoplifting charge was the only alternative. It was a Safeway store and I'm willing to bet that these policies are handed down from the corporate level. The employees have little or no leeway if they want to keep their jobs.

It was an unfortunate incident, but in the grand scheme of things this is much ado about nothing. The parents will pick up their kid and get a minor smudge on their records after a fair hearing. It also appears that Safeway may be revising their policies to cover this type of occurrence. However, I'm sure that the parents also will waste a lot of taxpayer money trying to sue Safeway for "pain and suffering" for a ridiculous amount of money.

People should just learn to own up to their own mistakes and learn from them.
    Nothing to see here folks, move along...

P.S. For the record, they stole two sandwiches. :D

25. wpotere Guest

Yeah, I read that as well, but most people equate being taken to the police station with going to jail. :rolleyes: