Short Film is RED Epic and iPhone 4S Comparison

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmorris, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

SHORT FILM “GRIEF” A RED EPIC AND IPHONE 4S COMPARISON

http://fugostudios.com/red-epic-iphone-4s-comparison/

The most revolutionary cinema camera was released at almost the exact same time as the worlds most revolutionary camera phone. FUGO Studios got their hands on both the RED Epic and the iPhone 4s, and shot the exact same short film on each camera.

FUGO Studios is an award-winning digital film and multimedia company based in Atlanta, GA, offering high quality work in video, audio, visual effects, motion design, and web.

2. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Once the iP4S clip started playing, I was getting annoyed by the floating black dots. I thought they were just dirt, but after awhile I realized that they were placed in key locations. Thats when I figured out that those floating black dots were focus points for the iPhone. Tap on the dot and the iPhone changes focus. They probably did it to assist with depth in the video, allowing a bit more control, something that the Epic can do very easily on its own.

They did say that with more time they could have produced a better result with the iPhone, and I believe they could. The iPhone clip seemed very blurry, especially for something that should have been in 1080p. It looked like something far less (I watched the video on my new iPad). Still a very interesting concept, I wish more film makers would try comparisons like this.

As for the short film itself, it was actually pretty neat. I wasn't expecting that ending. Good post.

3. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

The iPhone was shot with the Owle Bubo & EnCinema SLR Lens adapter to allow the use of manual Nikon lenses, which produces the depth of field for the iPhone.

There were some shortcomings with the adapter which included dirt sticking to the inside which was extremely difficult to remove. The dirt was actually the bits of the foam seal that was used by the manufacturers to block out light leaks.

The iPhone was definitely nice when it had plenty of light, like the car scene which was shot outside.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I can tell it was shot with an epic because when I try to watch in 1080p my computer freaks out

I'm assuming you're one of the filmmakers? Did you choose to use the same lighting setup for both to make it easy to shoot or to try and make it a more even comparison? I'm guessing based on comments made on the linked site that had you tailored the lighting design for the iPhone the results would have been better, right?

5. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Well I feel like an idiot, lol.

6. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

Without additional information regarding any special in-house developed app, I'd say that this example proves a point I made with some friends. That being: it does not matter what camera app you use with the iPhone - if you know what you're doing, you can achieve fine results. To improve your skills, as with anything else, you need to practice your craft. An app won't magically turn you into an accomplished photographer.

7. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

We used the same lighting for both comparison and time, we shot everything on a weekend.
    Looking back, we wonder what the results would be like if we adapted the lighting specifically for each camera.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

all an app really does is make framing/tagging your scenes easier and give you more options. Downloading a fancy app that gives you manual control over all of the settings is great and will allow you to make a much better movie with an iPhone...but you have to be experienced to know what to do with all those options. Someone who doesn't know much about film/video could get their hands on a RED Epic and still not have decent results

And I do have to say, to bmorris: it was a great short. I enjoyed it very much. To you and your team: great work, and keep it up! I'll definitely be stopping by your site every now and then to see if you've got anything new to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.