Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Note: I am a current PC user planning to make the switch to Mac, probably around Christmas, when I can use Xmas money. :)

My wife and I went to the Jaguar release event at the Short Hills mall in NJ last night. Since I got there later than I was planning, there were a lot of people in line waiting for the store to open. Being bored, I walked along the line taking a quick head count - there were over 500 people at this location.

Mind you, this is not LA, SF, or NYC. This is a mall in north central Jersey. The Apple store rep that my wife talked to said that they did not expect anywhere near the number of people that showed up. We finally got into the store at about 11:00 PM and saw the store demo of Jaguar at 12:30 AM.

This turnout was also despite the fact that the mall shut off the air conditioning at about 10:30, so it was pretty warm inside the store.

A number of people left with new computers of one sort or other, and the people waiting in line applauded (!) them as they worked their way through the line and out of the mall.

I got to play with Jaguar on a wide variety of machines, from the iBook on up to the dual 1Ghz. The OS is noticeably faster on all machines, compared to the last time I was in an Apple store trying out the previous version of OSX. I was impressed with how quickly all applications opened (all of the new iApps, the Office vX suite, Photoshop). Moving objects and windows around on the screen was snappier. Graphics overall seemed to be sharper, especially text in word processing apps. The iApps I was most impressed with was the new Mail app, and the Address book. I personally don't use internet chat very much, and the few people I do chat with are on Yahoo messenger, so iChat is not going to be of much use to me. Sherlock is pretty cool, but I think I have all equivalent features bookmarked in my browser, so I'm not sure how much more useful it will be. Checking flight arrivals was very cool, but as my wife suggested to the Apple store rep, it would be really useful if one could book tickets as well, as you can do for movies. Apparently Apple is already working on this. iTunes looks very nice, which is important for me as I listen to a lot of music.

One machine had Virtual PC (Win98) installed. This seemed to take a while to load, until I realized that (1) I was comparing it to the opening of native OSX apps, and (2) it booted Win98 faster than my PC's at home and at work. :) Once it loaded, it seemed pretty snappy.

I powered down an iBook and a Ti powerbook and restarted them to see how long it would take to start up. It took less time than I expected, but this was actually the first time I have watched a Mac boot up any version of OSX. Certainly it's faster than my current PC's.

Even though I am not a computer gamer, preferring to use a PS2 for games, I was impressed by the variety of games that were available for purchase.

Things that I am still waiting for before making the switch:

-native OSX support for my scanner to arrive
-to see if new displays will come out before Xmas
-I'll need a new printer to replace my current NEC laser printer. NEC will not be providing OSX support ever.

Overall, I was very happy to try Jaguar hands on, and was impressed with how well it worked. All I have to do now is to wait for Santa to come along. :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
what scanner do you have?

you can probably get os x support for it using vue scan..... which isn't too bad. better than sticking with windows longer...

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
I've got a Canon N1220U. I do a fair amount of OCR scanning, so vue scan wouldn't fulfill all my needs, unless vue scan does something that I don't know about.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
n1220u

Originally posted by wilburpan
I've got a Canon N1220U. I do a fair amount of OCR scanning, so vue scan wouldn't fulfill all my needs, unless vue scan does something that I don't know about.
i have the same scanner. on canon's website they say that a driver will be available for it by october, i can't wait. i already stopped booting into OS 9, not using classic would be even better, only OS X!!!! :D

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Re: n1220u

Originally posted by MacUser1

i have the same scanner. on canon's website they say that a driver will be available for it by october.....

Thanks for the info!

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
ahh, that sucks

i only recently got support for my epson 2450...

so i know how it feels.... hopefully they'll release it early.........

Well, if it does come out in October, and I stick with my plan to make the switch at Xmas, that will be fine for me.

And, maybe I will benefit from the rumored speed bumps for the iMac at year end that I keep hearing about. :)

But I won't hold my breath. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.