Shotguns & trap-shooting: the fastest-growing high school sport

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Aug 12, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"The giddy 13-year-old boys oohed and aahed as they stared down the black shotgun barrels and aimed at clay targets they imagined whizzing through the air.

It was day six of the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League championship, the world’s biggest shooting-sport event."

This is an excellent pastime for high-school kids. Teach then responsibility, develop eye-hand coordination, and maybe even make the U.S. Olympic Shooting Team.

Archery is also appearing in more American high schools. I always thought Japanese archery would be a good HS sport. Nothing like imparting martial discipline and Zen-like concentration on young impressionable minds.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    They should get Lars Andersen to teach kids how to shoot bows.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Could get Annie Oakley, too. Wait, is she dead?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think I saw her at the mall the other day...

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

HOW horrible.........................
    wish they had that at my kids school.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

One of my kids (well, young adult offspring) is into this. I can't get behind that, but I do recognise there is something in human nature that really relishes watching s*** blow up. Even one of the survivors of the awful Tianjin blast described one the explosions as 'terrifying but beautiful'.

I suppose it might come in handy for the zombie apocalypse, but I'd be happier if my kid wouldn't spray pellets of toxic metal throughout the country side.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'm not into guns, but I do enjoy plinking from time to time. Avanti 499 + $5 worth of BB's (~2000 BBs) + plinking target = hours of fun.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In the right area, and school district, its good exposure for kids. I wonder if the teams are co-ed? There shouldn't be any reason why girls and boys shouldn't compete on equal terms.

The reality is, however, I don't see this as having particularly widespread appeal. Especially in urban school districts. By definition, kids are going to need full-time adult supervision when practicing; and most urban areas are going to have limited trap facilities within close proximity. Its also not a cheap sport. A decent shotgun costs several hundred - to several thousand - dollars. Shotgun shell, clays, etc. all add up.

Im all in favor of kids learning how to properly use firearms, including range safety, appropriate protective gear (ears and eye protection) - as well the proper maintenance and cleaning of a gun. But again, any school-centered shooting sport is going to need a great deal of experienced adult supervision.

I should note, for our environmentally concerned members, that many (most?) shooting facilities here in the US periodically make use of licensed, professional service that come in and clean up lead from the range. This is particularly important in indoor range, where lead dust in the air could pose a severe hazard to people using the range.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Many skeet & trap clubs are steel-shot only.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's probably less dangerous than the lawn dart craze.

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I remember adults playing "Jarts" while we kids ran around ignoring the heavy steel skull-penetrators landing all around us. We were lucky not to get impaled.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

What's worse, I wonder? A steel dart in the head or getting gored in the nads by an angry bull.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33865284

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If only Scotland would pass a law to that effect, but alas .... It is still legal here to hunt with lead shot, which isn't a good for the food chain.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

As a guy, the answer is obvious.:oops:

A young man stopped at a local restaurant after a day of roaming around in Spain. He noticed a sizzling, scrumptious-looking platter being served at the next table. It looked good. It smelled good. He asked the waiter, "What is that you just served?"
    The waiter replied, "Ah senor, you have excellent taste! Those are bull's testicles from the bull fight this morning. A delicacy!"
    The visitor, though momentarily daunted, said, "What the heck, I'm on holiday down here! Bring me an order!"
    The waiter replied, "I am so sorry senor. There is only one serving per day because there is only one bull fight each morning. If you come early tomorrow and place your order, we will be sure to save you this delicacy!"
    The next morning, the man returned, placed his order, and then that evening was served the one and only special delicacy of the day. After a few bites, and inspecting the contents of his platter, he called to the waiter and said, "These are delicious, but they are much, much smaller than the ones I saw you serve yesterday!"
    The waiter shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Si, Senor. Sometimes the bull he wins."

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

bull should win more often IMHO.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Skeet, trap, and sporting clays are fun, I could think of much worse things those kids could be doing.