Shots fired at Los Angeles International Airport; Multiple Injuries Reported

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Nov 1, 2013.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm throwing this straight into PRSI because if it were in Current Events, the gun control debate would bring it back here anyway.

But Here's the original article with updates, as this is developing right now.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ident-at-los-angeles-airport-reports-of-shots

Ground stop is in effect there. No departures out, and arrivals that are coming in that can't be diverted are being parked on the far side of the field. LiveATC.net is blowing up on this, so as far as aviation impact goes, this is big. The Gun debate? different issue altogether, as I'm sure it will start here.

BL.

2. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Latest I heard... One TSA employee killed, and the suspected shooter killed.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Lot of conflicting reports, as usual. 3 shot one dead suspect in custody, possibly dead.

4. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

According to ATC, Terminals 1, 2, and 3 are impacted. South complex not impacted, though suspect in custody. 3 shot, including TSA agent. Nothing yet about suspect having died.

BL.

5. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

CNBC now backtracking on their earlier report that the shooter was killed.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

1 TSA agent dead 3 others injured, shooter shot unknown condition. No passengers involved.

7. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

To draw the ire of some people here, according to KPCC (local NPR station), a witness stated that an AR-15 may have been used at this incident:

I'm still calling this unconfirmed, as the police briefing is going on now, but there you have it.

BL.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It still surprises me incidents don't happen more at these checkpoints. The TSA has been so crazy about forcing airport "security" down our throats to prevent people from getting weapons/bombs on a plane.

But they don't/can't do anything to protect the terminals before the security checkpoint. Terrorists could do way more damage if there was a big attack in the line with hundreds/thousands of people waiting to be screened than they could by taking over a plane.

Also waiting for the chief NRA clown Lapierre to tell us why all the "good guys with guns" at this airport weren't able to prevent this shooting.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Just another normal day with the exception it happened at an airport instead of on a street somewhere. Until the gun nuts are willing to greatly increase restrictions on guns we just have to accept that things like this will happen on a regular basis.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that it took this long for an attack of some sort to happen at an airport security checkpoint considering it's a place where lots of people are gathered, can't easily escape, and if you want to hit transportation you could take out a lot more people in the security line than you could with taking over a plane. Of course I'm guessing this was just another everyday crazy guy with a gun and not a terrorist out to make a point...

11. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

What good guys with guns?!?! TSA screeners are not armed. This is another example of how well gun free zones work.

12. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

And the relevance of it potentially being an AR-15 vs. some other firearm (a Glock model 17 handgun, just to pick an example), is what, exactly (other than just to start another controversial non-fact filled debate)?

13. bradl, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

But airport police ARE armed, and patrol every part of all 7 terminals, the cargo facilities, and have at least 3 offices/stations at LAX (one is in terminal 1, one in Terminal 6 for sure). If you believe that TSA are the only officials at an airport, you are greatly mistaken.

The fact that this could have been MUCH MUCH worse, especially if this had been prior to the security checkpoint, which it appears it was. You have more much more people congregating there than you do after you pass them going towards your gate.

EDIT: No confirmation of deaths, whether with victims, any TSA, or the shooter so far, according to LAPD chief. From the link in the OP:

He knew what he was doing, knew what would get him the best 'results', and how to get it. Still want to call this 'non-fact filled'?

BL.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There seem to be reports from the LA Times that the shooter was a TSA employee, so far this has not been confirmed by anyone else.

15. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

If your response answered my question then, I'm sorry, I totally missed it.

16. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Again I state WHAT good guys with guns.

Sure, airport police. How many do you see when you go to an airport? How many dry-ice bombs went off IN SECURE AREAS at LAX before they caught a suspect?

17. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

This crime could have been committed with ANY modern firearm. Unless you are calling for total abolition of guns, it would not have made a difference in this case.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Thankfully the TSA screeners aren't armed otherwise we probably would have had a lot more people dead from the crossfire. Even trained cops and soldiers accidentally shoot innocent people if they are caught in the middle of a gunfight, I'm pretty sure it would be much worse if you had poorly trained TSA agents getting involved in a gunfight with hundreds of people between them and the shooter.

19. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

If you are trying to make a point, you haven't as yet. What is it you are trying to say? A direct answer would probably work best.

20. Frisco macrumors 68020

If it happened at bus or train station you'd never even hear about it.

It's all the airplanes :confused:

21. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I see them all the time at LAX. I transition through that airport at least once per month. I see them all the time at SMF, LAS, DEN, and OMA, where I fly frequently. I know where their offices are, as you pass by them while getting to their security checkpoints.

One of those bombs went off in a restroom in Terminal 2. Do you have a citation that shows where in Terminal 2 that happened? There are restrooms before the security checkpoints, you know, and that would not be a secure, sterile area yet, as no-one passed through security. And the second one went off out on the ramp, which has nothing to do with the passenger terminal area.

What I am saying here is that there are people in this thread who have mentioned how much of a tool the AR-15 is, when it has received yet another piece of bad press, if it does turn out to be the type of gun that was used in this incident. I wonder how people can still keep advocating and justifying that this as a tool, when it is showing to be anything but a tool.

Again, I understand that the type of weapon is still unconfirmed, but just going off of what has been said so far, it does not look good for this type of weapon, yet again.

BL.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

lmao. This is not a "gun free zone." There's LAX Airport Police, LAPD, Sherrifs, CHP, and more.

Plenty, and I don't even live near an airport as big as LAX. As soon as you even drive onto Massport property at Logan Airport you see MA State Police everywhere. They're stationed at all the pick-up and drop off areas and entrances to the terminals.

So basically LAX has the most security personnel of any airport in this country. Plenty of "good guys with guns" yet they still weren't able to stop this incident before multiple people were shot.

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Unlike other "gun threads", I'm sure that this one will be interesting and informative...filled with new and different arguments.

Really...

I'm sure of it...

It won't be just the usual people saying the usual things.

Honest...I'm confident that this thread will be refreshingly new, original, and interesting.

:rolleyes: :D ;)

And on topic...whatever occurred, I hope the injuries were minimal.

24. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

And for the millionth time, I will state in a PRSI thread that the AR-15 possesses no more or less capability to injure or kill someone than virtually any other firearm manufactured today.

Fervent anti-gun people love to latch on to the term "assault rifle" like it has some mystical meaning (which it doesn't). Especially if the term AR-15 is used.

You have demonstrated this tendency admirably.

25. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

In fact in terms of rifle cartridges, it's very nearly the LEAST powerful you can buy.