Shots fired @ NIU

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Feb 14, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

My dad is a TV cameraman and he just told me that a gunman just shot a dozen or so ppl at Northern Illinois University. He is on his way to the campus as I type this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23171567/

2. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If he's jaded over Valentine's Day or something, he's free to kill himself, but why does he need to take so many along with him? :(

6. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Not a lot of information right now... CNN had a headline a few minutes ago that said about 18 people shot or something... now it says "atleast 2".

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

look at the advertisement CNN.com decided to run along this story ....

Attached Files:

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It's amazing he didn't kill more than what's reported.

Good thing he was a bad shot.

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd imagine that the ads are selected at random whenever you load a page up, and there was no concious decision to place that ad with that story. It's an unfortunate coincidence though, granted.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats where i graduated from.
    i know some people there still. hopefully i can get in contact with them soon.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

happened at cole hall, which is in the center of campus, and probably one of the largest lecture halls there (capacity wise) and lots of people travel through it just to get warm during the winter, also lots of gen ed classes are there. almost always a class in session from 8-6 everyday.

cnn is saying 18 people injured, no confirmation on fatalities. although they said previously that the gunman died from a self inflicted shot.

edit: thanks CalBoy, i don't think they had anything around this building so i'm hoping they're safe and sound.

13. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I've got a few friends there. Hope they are alright.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well they're now saying that the gunman is dead... don't know how he died, if it was from himself or the police or whatever.

trying to get ahold of some people, but i doubt that'll work too well. too much commotion over there i'm sure.

crossing my fingers for everyone there and my thoughts go to the families and friends of everyone there.

15. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

no fatalities yet save for the shooter. 2 are being airlifted from the local hospital to a higher level hospital. Hope they pull through.

16. Keebler macrumors 68030

what a f*cked up world.

hope the a$$hole missed alot of ppl.

if he used a shotgun and ppl were running, there's a better
    chance they were grazed and not hit hard. range on a shotgun isn't as far as a pistol or auto. or otherwise type of rifle.

brutal.

17. JDR macrumors regular

Such a sad story...:(

Gmail has a feature where on regular e-mails you receive, there's a bar on the right side with "Sponsored Links" that grabs words from your e-mail message (automatically) and bases advertisments off of those. For example, if you had "car" and "SUV" in your e-mail message, you'll see ads from Jeep or Cars.com or something similar.....but if your e-mail message has "death" or "bad news" or "funeral", etc. in it, no ads will be displayed....quite an interesting feature.

18. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

They're saying two dead now on cbs in Chicago.

Also, saying police killed the gunwus.

19. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Not gunman... clever ...

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

saying that he killed himself on cnn

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Makes sense to me. They usually are suicidal in these cases. :(

22. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I'm starting to think they were misinformed. Makes sense that someone who comitted such a cowardly act would take a cowards way out...

23. ceiph macrumors regular

the things that happen to put my school on the map.... sad.

24. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Everyone seems to be shell shocked after a shooting happens yet nobody seems to be willing to change it.

There will always be troubled, violent people in this world. You may as well be informed and prepared for it.

Perhaps students should arm themselves just as anyone else? Well, except the high weenie factor at most universities prevent this. Sad.

A student at a local university suggested that that if VT students were armed perhaps there would have been less fatalities. To everyone's amazement the student was not only suspended but was ordered to undergo a psych eval before returning to class! Yikes! So much for free speech. I guess it's only free speech if you agree with the U. If not then too bad. I guess they aren't tolerant either. Sad.

With everything in mind, I'd much rather be alive than be a dead victim. If a perp doesn't use a gun he/she will just use a different weapon. No difference to them. Besides, it's our right to defend ourselves. That is, until the Enemy Within decides to take more rights away.

Probably the biggest factor that many people seem to miss is criminals do not follow gun laws. That's why they're criminals and criminals usually prey on the vulnerable.

"Everyone in favor of gun control please raise your right hand." "Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!"
    :mad:

I am going to enroll in training for my carry/conceal permit. The classes are tough to get into. They are always full but the funny thing is I never seem to see criminals there.

Hmmm.

25. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun