Should a death penalty inmate be given life saving surgery?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OscarTheGrouch, Aug 28, 2008.

1. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Be it on death row waiting execution or life sentence.

Should the state pay for a surgery to save the life of a criminal that will never again be free?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Death Row is an appalling enough institution without those held on it being left to die of curable illness while they wait to know whether they will be pardoned, exonerated or killed. Everybody should have access to proper healthcare, and nobody should be executed by the state.

3. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I completely agree.

I think their is a big difference between dying of a probably painful illness, and a halfway humane death on death row.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I disagree with skunk about the death penalty, I agree with him that the prisoner has a right to health care. He is a ward of the state, and they have an obligation to take care of him until his sentence is carried out.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I say yes, they should be giving the surgery to save their life. However, if the inmate chooses not to take it, then they should honor that too. They may just want to get it over with.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That could not have been said any better.

7. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

do these opinions include transplants? chemo? other expensive treatments that alot of free people cannot get because they cannot afford it

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Transplants are decided by a medical committee.

They use a point system to gauge the suitability of a potential recipient.

It's unlikely they would favour an death-row inmate over a husband/wife with children.

9. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

No, a life sentence means just that, should not artificially make it longer ....Should have been executed right after his/her first appeal...

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

In order that we maintain a government of law and maintain due process, IMO skunk has it correct as to health care. That we disagree about the death penalty itself is irrelevant to the issue.

'Rat

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if they have medical insurance to do so then sure. if not, i dont think taxpayers should have to foot the bill

heck, i can get surgery without insurance or my own cash...aka i dont ask others to pay for me

with that said, can prisioners have health insurance?

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The problem is that while they are in state custody, they probably cannot go and work and earn and get insurance right?

While I am pro death penalty, considering how many cases have been thrown out in Illinois (my state) and others (Texas for example) because of DNA evidence or issues with the prosecution where innocent people went to death row, no treatment should be withheld.

my 2c.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yet treatment can be withheld from law abiding citizens

i think that is f'd up and would giver preference to those people over prisoners 100%

14. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

To the OP:

Yes, that is a no-brainer. You give give life saving surgery to a death penalty inmate, unless you wish to shift the justice system from the judiciary/juries and put it in the hands of a lynch mob.

[The above post brought to you by someone who embraces the death penalty.]

15. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Or they could just put them at the bottom of the list, and save people that can't afford it. And I don't really see the point if they are going to be put to death anyways.

I don't see murderers (and that type) as any different then rats.

They can burn in hell for I care.

Flame away. :cool:

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm gonna have to say no. He/She obviously committed a dastardly crime. A crime so unforgivable they were given the death sentence. It would be a waste of time and money. Why save someone just to turn around to execute them? I'd just move up the execution date. Problem solved.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is that one county where every single case a DA in Texas had a hand in his entire 36 career is being reviewed. 19 cases so far overturned.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...r_dallas_das_death_19_convictions_are_undone/

And it isn't like he was just a non-person historically, he had a hand in some very high profile cases in US history.

Edit: this might not extend to death penalty cases, but it is troubling that something like this still hasn't been fully corrected. And should have been caught years ago.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Transplants and chemo shouldn't be available to only those that can afford them in the first place. You're beef is with your medical system, not with prison inmates.

As much as I abhor state-sanctioned murder to satisfy peoples sanctimony and blood lust, I couldn't think of anything could less human than calling for medical treatment to be withheld from anyone in need. A prisoner being murdered at the hand of the state in 2008 is indefensible, however a prisoner dying in agony or fear through withheld health care is just plain disgusting. It says a lot about the intellectual maturity of the people that think this would be acceptable.

19. Lau Guest

Blimey, well said, .Andy, I couldn't agree more with everything you just said.

Some comments in this thread really highlight the horrendous situation with a private healthcare system, before you even introduce the inhumanity of the death penalty into the equation.

20. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

I will say that I would not advocate witholding treatment of something that caused someone pain- i do believe for the most part they should have their pain managed. I will say that if a patient is diagnosed with cancer i do not believe they have the right to the latest medical advances with chemo and what not. why should they get better treatment than people who are free, but just cannot afford it?

and for the sake of argument, we are assuming definite guilt, no grey area for the justice system to have "maybe" screwed up, this doesnt need to be a pro death penalty debate, or our justice system is imperfect etc etc. its a simple question- assume guilt for the purposes of this question.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think the question here is not why are prisoners getting the treatment (in fact they mostly don't diagnoses of serious illness in the US prison population being notoriously bad) but why people not in prison are denied it.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

This is a beef with the healthcare system set up in this country. No one should be kept from the latest medical advances that could save their lives just because they cannot afford it.

We have a military to protect and defend everyone in this country, why don't we have healthcare that does the same?

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Should a prisoner on death row be supplied with food? Water? Breathable air?

I mean, if we're just going to kill them... :rolleyes:

25. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Capital Punishment is essential in ensuring the integrity of the community! A criminal committing a Capital Worthy crime must also be consciously afraid of the appalling thought and this is essential!

As for the OP's question.... they should let the prisoner choose for himself! Other than that if the recovery period of the surgery is far too long and the prisoner is not in pain prior to the surgery... the authorities should consider hastening!