Should a store be able to deny certain service to a homosexual?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Jun 21, 2017.

?

Should a store be able to deny service to a homosexual?

1. No

112 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Yes

22 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. tshrimp, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Should a store be able to deny service to a homosexual, if they feel it goes against their moral beliefs?

Example: The wedding cake thing we all know about.

Edit: My apologizes. In my head I was thinking it was understood I was referring more to being able to refuse business to a group who requested something objectionable to them be placed on a cake, etc. and not just denying service all together. After some back and forth where I played some devils advocate I realized I should clarify. Maybe my change to the title will help to clarify.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No, not anymore than I can deny service to a jew. Bake the cake, no one is asking them to attend the service or shove the cake up someones ass.

4. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

What about a church. Should they be able to refuse to marry a same sex couple?

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Should a store be able to deny a Christian service? A black guy? A Muslim? A Japanese person? A dog??

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

does the dog have money???????

church is not a business so have at it.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yes, that's the only institution that is free to exclude itself from being forced to perform services that are contrary to it's basic tenets.

8. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

You realize being gay is not a religion, a race, or an animal...right?

9. samcraig macrumors P6

You realize that some of those are choices and some are not, right?

Do you think a place of business should refuse to do business with you if you're straight?

10. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I know what I am about to say is far reaching, but these do exist.

What about a coffee shop located in the church? I was invited to a graduation that took place in a huge church and they had businesses there. Coffee shop, bakery, and a place that served lunch. Not sure if these businesses were owned by the church.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

It is is far more basic then religion and unlike a religion not a choice.

12. tshrimp, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Are you assuming I am straight? But, yes, if there is a gay business that wants to only cater to a gay clientele..I am okay with that.

Edit: My response to the person, btw, was that he was not comparing apples to apples there was a comparison made that did not fit since being gay is not a race, a religion or an animal. Wasn't really much more to it. But, I answered your question non the less.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I made no assumptions. Merely responding to your question and comment.

Ok - what about race. Can a black-owned restaurant only serve black people? What about a restaurant owned by white people? How about more granular - can/should a lesbian bar refuse service to someone male? or vice-versa.

Perhaps it's enough social engineering to make someone uncomfortable spending money on these places without having to actually refuse service.

Now - if a gay or straight couple want a cake that is inappropriate (distasteful) then I think a business can refuse service based on the request. But I don't think it should be based on the requestee.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

business, no matter who owns them have to abide by the rules.........that means no discrimination.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You really want the gay barista at Starbucks to look at you and your girlfriend waiting in line to order a cup of coffee and tell you he can't serve you because he doesn't agree with your lifestyle. Why don't we just go back to the days of hanging signs up in storefronts about who's not allowed in.

16. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Better question:

Should people who think that putting 2 groom-figurines on a cake they sell has something to do with THEIR religion be shot in the head for the benefit of the whole human race ?

17. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

My apologies for messing up the poll. I entered "Yes" option where the question was to go. I couldn't find a way to change that so just added the option to be able to select yes if needed.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

there is a little gear at the top right, you should be able to edit it from there.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    two wrongs making a right????? :rolleyes:

19. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Not sure where you got that out of me correcting someone who compared this to a religion, a dog, etc. Unless being gay is a religion or a dog. If it is then it was a great comparison. I just didn't feel like it was.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Does the person have gay written across his forehead? If not and he/she are behaving in a manner that is appropriate, give them a cup of coffee and a long john (no pun intended). Can you spot a gay person just by looking at them? It's not as if gay people aren't allowed in churches. There are plenty of catholic churches that have opened their doors to gay people. Hell even the pope called upon more to open it's doors to allow them to worship with everyone.

21. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Thanks. But that looks like it only lets me change the forum title and not the poll question. Unless I am missing it.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Race, religion, sexual orientation, whatever characteristic someone wants to grasp onto as a reason to discriminate against someone else. No, it's never OK.

23. tgara, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Declining to provide service to a person or a couple just because they are gay is stupid and wrong.

However, there is a distinction between the person and the event or act the person is engaged in. If a baker was asked by a homosexual person to bake cookies for a birthday party, the cake baker that has deeply held religious beliefs against gay marriage should not have a problem with this since baking cookies for a birthday party has nothing to do with that. However, if he is asked to make a wedding cake for a gay wedding, a union which he is opposed based on deeply held religious beliefs, he should be allowed to decline servicing that event. Not because the people are gay, but that the event is an anathema to his view of marriage.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Some of this stuff is going to work out for itself. I'm sure a gay couple would not want to get married in a place where they are not wanted. I've photographed a few SS weddings, it's not a big deal, people just go where the love is.

I don't think there should really be laws in place either way. If you're a small business and you hate gay people - fine! Don't serve them, just delight in your idiocy.

Meanwhile I'll be over here collecting money thats just as green as anybody elses.

It's becoming more and more clear as I get older that Bill and Ted's motto rings true.

Be excellent to each other and party on, dudes!

25. 0007776 Suspended

In general no, but in your specific example of asking someone to help out in a wedding they have a moral issue with then yes it should be ok. Same thing if an atheist baker doesn't want to be involved with a Christian wedding they shouldn't have to bake the cake for a wedding at a church if it goes against their beliefs.