Should an iPhone 4 user get a wifi and 3g or just wifi ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Davidio5, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Davidio5 macrumors newbie

i was thinking of maybe getting an ipad 2 and i was wondering if having 3g on my ipad would be worth it even though that i could use personal hotspot on my iphone to give it it wifi. if i did get the 3g model i would just take the micro sim card out of my phone and jsut put in to the ipad or jsut use personal hotspot.

2. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Determine the cost of the additional plans you'll have to pay for the iPhone 4 monthly bill, versus the cost of having a separate plan for iPad. Then, estimate what you're usage will be on the iPad. If it's just random use, then you may be ok. If it's large use, and you use your iPhone, you may rack up a large bill.

3. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

$20 for iPhone tethering, plus you get 2 extra gigs of data for tethering. iPad data plan is $25 for two gigs, savings of $5. I have a wifi only iPad, but I don't have the need/obsession to have a constant connection.

4. brando123b macrumors regular

I purchased a wifi only iPad 1 after a friend of mine convinced me WiFi was so prevelant that 3G was unneccessary.

Huge mistake. I immediately regretted the decision and have sold the iPad 1 and have ordered a 3G iPad 2.

I will be using this heavily for work. Being in sales I need a constant connection in my car or in my clients offices. Far too clunky to look for hotspots and constantly ask for my clients passwords to use their networks - or in rare cases, they don't have one.

For $129...get 3G.

5. iCrizzo macrumors regular

iCrizzo

The iPad 1 I had was WiFi only.. for my new iPad I went with the 3G iPad. Not sure I needed it since I have a iPhone 4 as well, it was just something I figured it was better to have and not need, rather than something to need and not have.

6. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yea I think Canadian carriers and some European carriers include free tethering with their iPhone plans so buying wifi only iPad makesore sense.

In the US where both Verizon and ATT charge extra for tethering, it makes the decision a lot harder.

Personally i had 3G iPad first gen. Only used it once.

For iPad 2 I went with wifi only iPad

It really depends on how badly you need the 24/7 connection with the iPad. With my iPad I primarily use it at home or work where I have access to wifi easily. That's my reason but others may not have that availability.

8. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

Here in Austria, only 1 of 4 carriers that offer the iPhone charges extra for tethering ... and that's an extra of 2 Euro ;)

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Had the 3G iPad 1 and barely used the 3G. Even less of a need if to have an iPhone 4. Having said that, I got a wifi iPad 2 and then realized that I missed the GPS chip in the 3G for the numerous apps I have that utilize location services. The other reason the 3G version is better for me is because he iPhone data plans where I live have very low data caps. I save money by getting an iPad with a dataplan instead of increasing my data cap on my iPhone and tethering.

10. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I have iphone 4 and planning to buy ipad 2 wifi. Will i be able to use ATT hotspot on my iphone 4 and connect the ipad 2.

How does it work? could anyone explain this.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If you're sitting at an AT&T hotspot then your iPad can connect directly to the WiFi hotspot.

If you're not at a WiFi hotspot, you can use your iPhone to tether (Personal Hotspot) to your 3G connection. Your iPad will see it as a WiFi network, but it will eat into your iPhone data plan.

12. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

My iPad 1 was a 3G model, and I never activated 3G on it. I had a Verizon 2200 mifi That I used to connect with, so I never used the 3G feature. I went with the wifi only version for my iPad 2 since I use a mifi personal hotspot. I recently upgraded my 2200 3G mifi to the new 4G LTE mifi, and I've been getting similar speeds as my home wireless connection (+-12 Mbps), so I'm very happy with my decision. I only get +-1Mbps on AT&T 3G. Of course, I don't only use my iPad with my 4G mifi, so this is not an option for everyone. Since I have unlimited data through AT&T, I wouldn't give up my unlimited to use their tethering plan. I would just use mywi or tetherme on my jb iPhone, and limit my usage. If I didn't have unlimited data, I would probably get a 3G iPad 2 so I don't use up my iPhone battery to us the iPhone 3G data.

13. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

3G iPad is redundant if you already have an iPhone 4... and way more redundant if you have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and just use MyWi for $0 extra a month.

14. Kupp macrumors regular

I hav an iPhone 4 on at&t and only got a wifi iPad 2. Like others said I thought it would be redundant. On top of that I may try a tethering plan when I go on vacation, but not bother with one at other times.

Regardless I don't use 2GB a month as is, so there is really no need for me to bother with a 3G iPad.

He'll at school in town, I can get the campus network most places, so no real issues, at least for me.