Should Apple Have Waited 1 Month Longer to Release the iPhone 6?

Should Apple have waited one month longer to release the iPhone 6?

• Yes

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 68 75.6%

• Total voters

73b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
I received my iPhone 6 on release day and it already no longer feels new. Its only feature is an increased screen size, and the display itself doesn't even look better than my 5. The battery life and camera are nice, but otherwise most of its features lie in iOS 8, which hasn't been "fully" released yet. Apple Pay still has not been activated, and many other features involve OSX Yosemite, which also hasn't been released. Apple should have either waited another month to release the phones or been more prepared in September.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I received my iPhone 6 on release day and it already no longer feels new. Its only feature is an increased screen size, and the display itself doesn't even look better than my 5. The battery life and camera are nice, but otherwise most of its features lie in iOS 8, which hasn't been "fully" released yet. Apple Pay still has not been activated, and many other features involve OSX Yosemite, which also hasn't been released. Apple should have either waited another month to release the phones or been more prepared in September.
Apple should've waited until much later to release iPhone 6.

- use an different material and make the phone more rigid.
- make the camera not protruding.
- fit in a bigger battery (even if it means to sacrifice some thin-ness)
- get Apple pay and Health going (still no idea how to work Health)
- get Apple Watch launch at the same time.
- get IOS 8 to work less glitchy from the start.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I posted this same thing on the Apple forum and it got deleted. They said it wasn't contributing anything to the discussion. I also posted about going a week later to the Apple store to get a phone and they made me wait for an hour and half in line with one other person in front of me before I finally just left. They deleted that post also.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
the iOS 8 features are coming, you have a phone. if you wanted to wait until the ios8 features were fully available, you could've waited to buy your phone.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I received my iPhone 6 on release day and it already no longer feels new. Its only feature is an increased screen size, and the display itself doesn't even look better than my 5.
Sounds like you have iPhone 6 plus envy

GLS

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Sure, they could have waited.

And then people would bitch that Apple hadn't released the iPhone yet, and Samsung was passing them by.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Yes they should have waited since apparently someone forced you to buy the phone before the features you wanted were available.

I feel bad for you.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
What is the world would waiting a month have done? The iPhone 6 would have been the iPhone 6. These phones are made long before they are released. A month would have done nothing. If you really don't like what Apple did. You need to wait until the iPhone 7 is released.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
No. I'm glad they released it when they did. The software features can come later, and it's not like Apple is going to charge you to upgrade.

73b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
the iOS 8 features are coming, you have a phone. if you wanted to wait until the ios8 features were fully available, you could've waited to buy your phone.
Yes they should have waited since apparently someone forced you to buy the phone before the features you wanted were available.

I feel bad for you.
So you see no problem in releasing an unfinished product? A release alongside Yosemite and Apple Pay would have made the phone much more complete.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
So you see no problem in releasing an unfinished product? A release alongside Yosemite and Apple Pay would have made the phone much more complete.
It isn't unfinished. The OS update isn't quite there but it'd still not quite be there if you had an iPhone 5. The update you got was a hardware one and if you wanted to wait for the software update, you could've.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
It isn't unfinished. The OS update isn't quite there but it'd still not quite be there if you had an iPhone 5. The update you got was a hardware one and if you wanted to wait for the software update, you could've.
The hardware release dictated the software release date.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I don't see what difference one month makes in the grand scheme of things. Mobile phones tend to have a development cycle of one and a half to two years. You really can't wait a month for Apple Pay? Best to let users get accustomed to their new devices. I do find it unacceptable that iOS 8.0, 8.0.1, and to some degree 8.0.2 had such significant bugs on the iPhone 6/6 Plus, but no one will remember them in a few months.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

And you realize the new iPhone won't be out until 2015, probably early spring. And the whole internet would be slamming Apple "c'mon Apple, where the **** is the new iPhone!?!?" And competitors mean while, slowly releasing new stuff.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

Half of those things have nothing to do with the time it takes to develop them, they are merely design considerations and decisions. Waiting longer would not have changed them.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I posted this same thing on the Apple forum and it got deleted. They said it wasn't contributing anything to the discussion. I also posted about going a week later to the Apple store to get a phone and they made me wait for an hour and half in line with one other person in front of me before I finally just left. They deleted that post also.
Maybe they just don't appreciate a perfectly good whine.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Northern District NY
No because then the ****storm would most definitely still be in full swing tell the end of Christmas and New Years and thats no fun. The faster we can get us early adopters suited up with our new phones the faster regular folks can walk into the store and buy the phone they see on TV all day without having to wait 3 weeks.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
Its all about revenue and pleasing the shareholders. Losing a month of revenue before the end of 2014 would be huge...world wide. The NEXUS was just released today, and I feel that the Iphone 6 is already dated:(

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
FL
The record breaking sales would indicate "no". You don't have to purchase the phone on launch if you didn't want to; I never like purchasing the first batch of any new product anyways.

While the camera protrusion and lack of RAM are disappointing, a month wouldn't have changed anything. You can wait until the iPhone 6S for that.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you are already unhappy/bored with you new phone, imagine how you will feel 6 months from now.

I am glad to have my 6 and enjoying the heck out of it. As the updates come, I will be even more happy even if I do not use Apple Pay!