Should Apple have went with an aluminum back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 23, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

The early rumours pointed to a "metal" or "aluminum" back. Perhaps they made a mistake going with a spray coating which seemingly rubs off and gets scratched?

2. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

The back is aluminium.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hard metal like a strip not sprayed? :rolleyes:

4. insertfun macrumors newbie

Yes.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Anodized is not a spray coating.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I think the black anodizing is very durable. I went to a locat AT&T store and took the display phone and put it to the test. I scratched it very hard with my finger nails, I also scraped it along the edge of the iPhone display cabnet edge, and then ran the beveled edge sharply across the edge as well..and nothing happened at all. It was perfect.

Before that I was afraid to even put a case on, in fear that just snapping the case around the edge would damage it. Now I am totally confident that its not rubbing off unless u do some real damage to it (dropping on concrete, or strong metal to metal contact, etc).

I took a video of the whole test I did which I will post later today. I was shocked that it held up so well. If what I did wont scratch it, it's pretty damn durable.

7. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

Yes Apple should have went with an aluminum back.

Thankfully, they did.

8. thet3chbr0th3r5 macrumors member

thet3chbr0th3r5

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the back of the iPhone 5 looks sharp is a great move. I'd say the unanodized back would show scratches more then the anodized. Just look back to all the threads/posts and discussions on the iPod back in the day.

10. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Simple answer: no they didn't.

Look back over the history of Apple devices and you'll find a small but incredibly vocal number of people who will complain if their device picks up so much as a scratch during regular use. Back in the iPod days it was the shiny back plate, with the iPhone 4 it was glass breaking if you dropped it (no, really, glass breaks when dropped? Shocker) and now the iPhone 5. My view (and it is just a personal view) is that these are mobile devices. They are inevitably going to pick up battle damage, there's no avoiding it if you use them as-is. Every single phone, mp3 player, laptop etc I've ever owned has marks or scuffs on them and I treat 'em with kid gloves.

If you want your device to be perfect put it in a case. If you buy a new one that has marks, manufacturing defects etc then fair enough and if it bothers you take it back for exchange. But to expect them to stay pristine is just unrealistic IMO.

11. thet3chbr0th3r5 macrumors member

thet3chbr0th3r5

Well I do have to say this... the back of the iPods back in the day were so annoying they would get scratched on the first day you got the thing

12. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

Which unless you were using it as a travel mirror was irrelevant

13. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I think care more about aesthetics than scratches. I remembered the first few iPods and iPod touches had mirror like backs and they scratched alot more than the iPhone now.