Should Apple/Samsung preferentiallly hire Iraq veterans?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nouveau, Dec 15, 2011.

1. nouveau, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011

nouveau macrumors member

2. rolfbert macrumors member

yeah, after them completing an engineering degree of course.

3. littleebo356 macrumors member

no they shouldn't at all! join the que like everyone else!

4. SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

Yeah! Screw those other people who haven't been able to find work in years in some cases. They should have volunteered for the armed forces if they wanted to be "real" citizens!

5. djgamble macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

WTF does this have to Iraq?
    The jobs will go to whoever is selected. Those who served will get fat pensions, free medical care and bonuses galore for their service. I dunno if they'd even want menial production line jobs?

6. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

I'm sure you are saying this in jest. Serving in Iraq does not qualify or provide competence to manufacture high-tech computer chips. I want my Apple products to be make by competent, qualified people.

7. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

No. They should use their free time to think about why they served in an illegal war.

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well of course they should... with the small caveat that they apply with everyone else and are deemed best at interview.

9. 63dot, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Every vet I have talked to had deep reservations about serving there and especially of George W. Bush (even republican veterans). But this does not change the fact that they served this country, even if we know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction (finally admitted by Bush) and that there's no hard evidence of 9/11 linked to Saddam Hussein.

If you want to go after somebody, start with Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, and Powell, but don't pick on the soldiers (who had no choice). It's these same people in uniform who defeated Hitler and Tojo in World War II and it's these same soldiers who will defeat, or at least fight against, a truly threatening enemy in the future.

I worked for Operation Transition for DoD after the first Gulf War and it was very hard to get jobs for vets. Many people, in many industries, simply had no interest in hiring somebody who went to war. There was a perceived notion that PTSD would automatically lead to poor performance in the work place. The popular idea as the employer was that "somebody else" will eventually hire the vets coming back from the war. Yes, I have seen many homeless from the campaigns in the Middle East much like Vietnam, but I thought the USA learned from Vietnam that torturing vets and using them as a scapegoat didn't work. These vets want to put down their arms and join a peaceful society, so I say kudos to Apple and Samsung for wanting to hire vets, since most employers look the other way.

10. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

1. Fat Pensions- Not so much. Only those whom have served 20+ years or awarded a disability due to service get a pension.

2. Free medical care- This generally applies to the above, but I do think vets of the recent wars do get 2-3 years of medical coverage from the VA. I was stop-lossed, so the government was nice enough to give me and my family medical care for 6 months after they finally let me get out. But the only ones that get covered forever are the ones that retire, or have a service related disability.

3. Bonuses galore- Nobody gets a bonus for getting out of the military unless you're referring to the draw down after the Gulf War, in which some were offered a cash payment to get out. And this was only for those that were close to retirement.

I served in Iraqi Freedom twice during my 8 years in the army. The first time was a year, and the second time was for 15 months. I've never been given any preference when it came to employment due to my service. And that most likely has to do with my military job not transferring well to the civilian market, so I decided to go to college (mechanical engineering).

For the person above that decided to trash all of us for participating in an "illegal war", you don't know what you're talking about. I didn't have a choice whether to participate or not. I joined before both wars started and the military isn't really a job that you can quit voluntarily. I guess I could have done something to get thrown out and ruin the rest of my life. But I signed on the dotted line knowing that I could go to war and die doing it. It was never my job to decide if the wars we're in are right or wrong. It was my job to help win them.

**I'll agree that I probably wouldn't want a crappy production line job, but if that was my only choice, I'd definitely take it.

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Afghanistan here I come!

Well, in July or August at least . . .

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I hear it's warm all year round.

13. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

How is it being an illegal war possibly their fault?

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

wait, what?

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Clever juxtaposition on that.

We need that "What!!" by Barbara Wawa, that is making the rounds.

No one can do incongruity like her.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I hope you realize the vast majority of those jobs do not require an engineering degree.

17. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

No, not really... It's been 17-50F here lately.

Back on topic, preference should not be given to veterans. Preference should always be given to the most qualified. If you happen to have two people equally qualified and you want to use someone's Honorable military service as a differentiator, then by all means...

Heck I feel preference should not be given for race, religion or any other BS - you're either qualified or you're not.