Should Apple separate the purchase of the watch style from the band?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tresmith, Apr 14, 2015.

1. tresmith macrumors 6502

One of the more annoying things about buying the watch is that you are locked in with band that you may not want/like. And if you want another band with your watch you have to buy separately spending even more money.

Apple has been allowing customers to customize their products for quite some time and I don't understand the restrictions placed on mixing and matching the watch face with bands.

I think that the SS Space Black would look great with either the leather loop or the black sport band but you can't get that watch without first buying it with the link bracelet.

To me you should be able to pick a any watch style and then pick a band that you like.

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I would like that, but I have a feeling it would cause many more delays in shipping times, and also a lot of confusion regarding purchasing. If they could make customizing the watch like Motorola does it, that would be awesome. Then again, Moto only has a few different option to choose from when customizing the Moto 360.

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Well that would be innovative since no one sells a watch without a band. It could easily have led to people getting something they could not use if the band they wanted was not ready.

4. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

I love Apple, but not having the most popular band colour - black - available with the Silver Sports watch is kind of a dick move.

Like no 32GB iPhone 6 - forced upselling is beneath Apple, IMHO.

And leather watch bands that cost more than an iPod nano? :eek:

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

You know, and we all thought Apple was crazy for selling three different colored iPads in three different capacities for four different US carriers, especially when the device has always been SIM-unlocked.

36 iPad combinations.
    38 WATCH combinations.

It's actually not that far off.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It's called Business Marketing 101 and Apple is very good at it.

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Honestly I thought that's what they were going to do.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

If aftermarket bands start popping up left and right, then Apple will foreseeably have a problem selling its own bands and watches with the more expensive bands.

9. pjh macrumors regular

pjh

I think this would have been a good idea. The watch and band could have come in packaging that is modular (two modules could stack or somehow interlock. I would have thought this would have made the logistics easier, Apple would then not have to worry about having the correct split in watch/band combination at launch. The two boxes could just be combined as and when an order is made.

The downside though is that the watch would arrive without the band fitted. I don't see this as an issue, but I can understand how Apple would see this as "devaluing" step.

10. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you saying maybe the reason they have these forced combinations is to thwart the aftermarket band business. right?

I agree cause chances are unless you have excess money laying around you will stick with the band that came with the watch. If they sold the watch face on it's own Apple would lose a lot of the band business to third parties. I think Apple knows that.

----------

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Apple could have two boxes, one watch and one band that would fit together in a box sleeve much like cd, dvd set box.

----------

it can't be any more confusing then choosing an iPhone. I mean you have to choose between 6 or 6+, the color, the memory size, and then the carrier. And that's before buying any accessories.

for the watch...you pick the watch size (38 or 42mm), the material (gold, aluminum stainless steal) and then the band.

and of course you would have the most popular combos already prepackaged for delivery.

I don't think it's that complicated.

Besides I like to think that the average Apple customer wouldn't get overwhelmed by something like this.

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

12. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

It is good for the customers and bad for Apple business. Apple sells a plastic watch band for $49.00. What is this a 95 percent markup?

13. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The choosing part comparison between iPhone and :apple:Watch is a decent example with one major omission.

The phone will be returned by a single customer maybe once because they decided they needed more/less space, or they didn't like the color they picked.

The omission is that there are MANY more pricing changes from one watch size/band combination to the next, and there will be MANY more buyer's remorse returns/exchanges with the watch than with the phones.

----------

Gotta pay for that $38,000,000 ad campaign last month somehow.

And I think the markup for iPhone(6Plus 128GB) is in the 400% range.

The plastic band should be in the 900% range, not 95%.

14. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

I have no problem with it, I don't see the need to split them apart.

15. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

No. Apple will always sell complete kits so you can get started with one box. Earpods with iPhone/iPod, bands with Watch, keyboard and mouse with iMac. Customers shouldn't worry about buying all kinds of stuff when buying Apple. That has always been their philosophy.

16. MacSE1987 macrumors newbie

I'm sure Apple could have offered any combination a person wanted. I was just looking at Motorola's site and the Moto 360 can be ordered in 3 case finishes, 8 band and 11 face choices. A person is free to pick any combination, no matter how it looks. They call it "Build yours".

My guess is Apple only wants to ship combinations it feels looks good.

17. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

This, plus by keeping certain combinations unique, it forces sales to go in certain directions.

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Has it though? The Mac Mini and Mac Pro don't come with a keyboard, mouse or screen. The Apple TV doesn't even come with an HDMI cable. iPods don't come with a wall adaptor for charging. iPads don't come with headphones.

I think it would have made a lot more sense for Apple to sell the watch and bands separately, even if it was a requirement to purchase a band with the watch. That way, customers can return just the watch or just the band if they wish to change, it reduces inventory issues, gives customers more customisation, et cetera et cetera. Really seems like the more sensible way to do it.

19. kovey macrumors 6502a

This is clearly the best answer. For personal items such as a phone or watch, everything you need should be included in one box and be on your way. I can't imagine the flaming that would happen if it was the other way around. People would be irate that you had to pay "additional" just for a "complete" watch.

20. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

The Mac Pro is IMO out of the comparison as its target audience is different (it's for professionals).

It's fail that AppleTV doesn't come with a HDMI, but guess it's Apple's way of keeping the cost low (it does come with a remote, luckily). I don't think it's a mistake that iPads doesn't come with headphones - it's not the primary goal with an iPad.

21. vanitalo macrumors newbie

vanitalo

In the same way that you can pick the colour and amount of storage when you order an iPhone, or customise your Mac... I think Apple should have provided something similar with the WATCH order process...

Step 1. Choose the size 38mm or 42mm
    Step 2. Choose the material Aluminium, Stainless Steal, Gold
    Step 3. Choose the colour/finish Silver, Space Grey, Space Black, Yellow Gold...
    Step 4. Choose the band
    Step 5. Add AppleCare and other accessories
    Step 6. Proceed to checkout!

22. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I wanted the SS with link bracelet. I couldn't justify (to myself) spending the money on the link bracelet. So I got the sport band, with the intention of waiting for aftermarket bands to catch up and make a good cheaper SS band. In my case I DID need a band so I can use the watch in the meantime, but I believe a lot of people are going to pass on the $450+ link band, just because of the price and wait for an alternative.

I wish they boxed them separately. In the ordering process they could ship the watch WITH the band, but package them separately. Like how amazon groups items for shipping.

23. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Michele brand watches sells most of their watches and bands separately.

i feel apple did it to get more money... otherwise people would have been buying the black SS with a black sport band or leather band... whereas now they are stuck buying the most expensive band if they want a black SS face...

even with the sport version they are stuck spending an additional $49 if what they really want anothe version...

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Sorry, you are not understanding.
    You are not paying extra for a complete watch as there would be nothing for sale without a strap.

Let's use the sports band colors as an example............

Say you could buy a car, and, upon purchase you could select which tires you has fitted.

Winter ones, Summer ones, All year round ones.
    All for the same price.

You chose your car, the tires you wanted were fitted, you got the car brought round for you and you drove off.

You got the tires you wanted from the selection of three, and you are happy.

You did not go OMG I have to pay more for tires, as that was never an option for you.

All that happened was the car was held by the garage until you the customer told them which of the three tire options you wanted.

What Apple are doing, which is stupid, is having identical cars all for sale, but with different tires (colour sports bands) pre-fitted at the factory.

The you find out, the only cars the have in stock are ones with the summer and winter tires on. So you have to buy one of those, and then pay an additional cost for a packed up set of optional extra all weather tires.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree, Apple should sell the watches and bands separately. For the Sport model Apple should include a sport band but allow the customer to choose the color.